Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Had a chance to get Royce to the range to get a little work in with a couple of 9mm pistols. Worked on draw stroke, magazine change, accuracy and gun handling. He handled the recoil ok for ten years old and 81 pounds.

[video=youtube;lPHUSBhn7bE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPHUSBhn7bE[/video]

FishersCPA

Plinker
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Jul 18, 2008
    Fishers
    Boy he looks confident and smoooooth!

One question, why do the mag change with a round still in the weapon so that the handgun doesn't have to be charged once empty? Most users won't be "round counters" in moments of stress, will run the weapon empty and need to load a new mag.

Was this more for competition training than self defense?

Thanks for your answer in advance... You are doing a great job with this training!

(Update for clarifcation on question)- Understood above if training for competition but if for self-defense, would it not be prudent to train for weapon run dry, drop mag, reload and recharge? This may sound like a silly question. I understand the necessity/strategy for a tactical reload so maybe I am over thinking the video a bit. He does looks really good.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Boy he looks confident and smoooooth!

One question, why do the mag change with a round still in the weapon so that the handgun doesn't have to be charged once empty? Most users won't be "round counters" in moments of stress, will run the weapon empty and need to load a new mag.

Was this more for competition training then self defense?

Thanks for your answer in advance... You are doing a great job with this training!

I'm not as good as Royce, but Coach has taught me thing or two. ;)

Self defense or competition, you'd rather not be holding an empty gun. If round counting isn't possible, you reload when you have the oportunity. A fully loaded magazine at the expense of the time to change it and leaving a few rounds in the used one.

Reloading is often built into competition even if the firearm's capacity would be enough to complete the drill.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I am trying to get him ready for competition. He is a long way I hope from having to defend himself and the family. He will be doing slide lock reload and malfunction reduction before long.

But since you asked:
    Down at the Tactical Conference this past year I sat in on a presentation from Wayne Dobbs and Darryl Bolke. Darryl (sp?) said that in the LAPD when they stopped drilling the slide lock reload as the primary method of reloading their shootings stopped running to slide lock and they liked the results much better. Reload when you think you are getting low or when the opportunity presents itself. A planned reload is faster than a slide lock reload because there is one less manipulation to perform.

In defensive classes that I teach once the shooting is done and the scanning for other threats begins there are many times that folks are scanning with one, two or no rounds in the gun. So if the scan finds another threat and we do not have the rounds to deal with the threat we have a problem. So I have evolved my approach based on those two things. A guy who has been there and done that, and trained many others who have been there and done that said so. And watching folks on the range find another threat in a drill and be empty has convinced me. Reload when you can, and don't be shy about it.

FishersCPA

Plinker
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Jul 18, 2008
    Fishers
    I am trying to get him ready for competition. He is a long way I hope from having to defend himself and the family. He will be doing slide lock reload and malfunction reduction before long.

But since you asked:
    Down at the Tactical Conference this past year I sat in on a presentation from Wayne Dobbs and Darryl Bolke. Darryl (sp?) said that in the LAPD when they stopped drilling the slide lock reload as the primary method of reloading their shootings stopped running to slide lock and they liked the results much better. Reload when you think you are getting low or when the opportunity presents itself. A planned reload is faster than a slide lock reload because there is one less manipulation to perform.

In defensive classes that I teach once the shooting is done and the scanning for other threats begins there are many times that folks are scanning with one, two or no rounds in the gun. So if the scan finds another threat and we do not have the rounds to deal with the threat we have a problem. So I have evolved my approach based on those two things. A guy who has been there and done that, and trained many others who have been there and done that said so. And watching folks on the range find another threat in a drill and be empty has convinced me. Reload when you can, and don't be shy about it.

re: "long way I hope from having to defend himself and the family"... I hope so as well... but I wouldn't want to be the guy trying to come in his door...

That makes a lot of sense on the after action scan. I would hate to engage, pause and scan AND THEN find out only 1 or 2 left for any further engagement.

Thanks for sharing, you have given me something to think about and train with.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    I spent an entire day last weekend on a firing line with my back, body and head a mere 2 feet from this young gunners muzzle. I couldn't have asked for a safer person to turn my back to all day.

I wish I could've turned around a little more to admire his skills and help when needed.

Good job dad! Let us know when he outshoots you for the first time :)

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute

But since you asked:

Training to to load from slide lock is not counter to loading when you are able. I agree with Coach that the time to load is when you have the time. Will I perform an administrative reload if I've only shot a few rounds? With a 1911 i would, be all else, no. Will I reload, either in competition or socially when I'm moving to cover? Sure, why waste the opportunity. Train for both, as both are valid.

Top Bottom