AAR: Revere's Riders Rifle 125 Bedford, IN (Sept. 23-24)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gopher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Zionsville, IN
    What: Revere's Riders Rifle 125
    Where: Bedford Contingent Range, Bedford, IN
    When: Sept. 23-24, 2017

When NFL players were busy "taking a knee" for the National Anthem, 20 or so patriotic citizens gathered amid the cornfields of Bedford, IN to practice their rifle marksmanship. Only goes to show that some people in this country have their priorities straight :)

This was the usual well-run and well-instructed Revere's Riders event. Congratulations to Rayne, Ol Huff, Unbridled Liberty, Chilidog, Slim, Heeter and others that put in work to make this event possible. All of you did an OUTSTANDING job.

The students for the class were about evenly mixed between new and repeat students. Saturday began with a "Morgan's 13" target (targets scaled to correspond to about 12"x12" at 100, 200, 300 and 400 yards plus a "shingle" scaled to represent a target approximating a roofing shingle of 4"x5" at 250 yards; see "Morgan's Shingle" for the story behind the shingle). This is a test to set a baseline for the marksmanship skills of the group.

I failed. MISERABLY.

The rifle I THOUGHT was zeroed at 25 yards, was not. Not even close. Like barely on the paper...

Time to get out tools and tighten rings and mount. Shoot a couple "5 squares" to get my reset my zero and I was back in business. Lesson learned: check your zero before you show up and have the appropriate tools in your kit to make repairs/adjustments should you discover that your "preparation" was less than optimal.

The reminder of Saturday was spent learning rifle marksmanship: using the sling in the standing, seated and prone positions, firing the shot ("ABCs"), sight adjustment and "natural point of aim" (NPOA). If you haven't been taught these markmanship fundamentals (especially NPOA) they WILL improve your shooting.

Towards the end of the day on Saturday, we managed to get in one 25 yard rifle qualifier. Finally, everyone shot the "Morgan's 13" target to compare how they did in the morning before any instruction and at the end of the day after extensive instruction. Most, if not all, students improved. I know I did, as I was on target now but had some "help" on my target from my next-door-neighbor on the firing line. Not a problem. I've "been there, done that" when I was still learning marksmanship and was trying to put together everything I had just heard about making an accurate shot rather than worrying if I was shooting my target or someone else's.

Sunday morning started off with a short service by Chilidog. I don't consider myself an overly religious guy, although I believe in Christian morality. However, I always make it a point to attend Chilidog's Sunday morning service; there is something about his morning talk (I don't consider it a "sermon" as Chili is a humble man) while you are watching the sun rise over the cornfields and listening to the roosters and the world around you wake up. Worth it to come for that alone...

After quickly verifying our zeros, most shooters participated in "carding sights" to help with establishing NPOA. Then it was on to more 25 yard rifle qualifiers, a quick "known distance" lecture on ballistics and site adjustment to compensate for target range before ringing some steel at 100 yards. Finally, Rayne brought out her "US Rifle Caliber .30 M1" for those who cared to shoot a "full power" rifle.

I managed to shoot a "Master" score on one of my qualifier targets (48/50; one miss in the simulated 400 yard prone COF, which counts double) and to back it up with a 45/50. Pretty happy with that given the heat and the initial lack of a working zero for my rifle.

As usual, lunch was included and consisted of burgers/dogs, potato salad, chips, cookies, etc. on Saturday and fried chicken, green beans, potato salad, chips, cookies, cupcakes, etc. on Sunday. Having lunch included in your event fee makes it VERY convenient as you don't need to pack anything yourself or leave to swing by the McDonalds.

During lunch on Sunday, Ol Huff gave an inspiring talk about the M1 Garand what it meant to our war effort as well as how it reflects American values. Dave Goodrich contributed the history on Saturday. If you left Bedford not inspired by what our forebears sacrificed in the name of freedom and liberty you weren't listening at all.

Not that I'm biased, but if you haven't attended a Revere's Riders event yet, you should. Pretty much everyone will learn some marksmanship skills, you will meet some fantastic people (both instructors and students) and enjoy a day or weekend of perforating paper and/or ringing steel. For the price, you can't beat a Revere's Riders event.

Remaining Revere's Riders events for 2017:

We are working on the 2018 schedule now.

Subscribe to the Revere's Riders email newsletter to get upcoming event notifications in your inbox; simply go to the Revere's Riders website and sign up using the form in the website footer.

diveski11

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I don't remember to cruise this site very often. Thank you for an excellent write up of this course! It was my first RR's course thanks to a torrential down pour that blew out the Women's Rifle course a few months ago. That's ok - it allowed me time to "force" my husband into taking a weekend off of work and we both purchased .22's just in time for this one. I'm REALLY glad that I didn't attempt this with an AR!
    We both are newbies. I was a bit intimidated, at first. EVERYONE was super about letting us know this was a fundamentals type of course. That resonated deeply with us as we participate in that sort of like-minded approach to scuba training. From that word onward we were both "all in" and hung on every word from everyone there. The instructors were fantastic! Nothing slipped past them. You cannot fake your way through needing a few minutes of extra attention. The fellow students, although not a lot of mingling time, were great to meet and were also encouraging.

It was WICKED HOT so I could not stand the heat and quickly blew through the last 10 rounds every time even though we had a full five minutes. I also couldn't really see what I was hitting so there wasn't much point of dilly dallying about. I was too wiped out to attempt the final qualifier but with my physical issues I was shocked at making it that far in a full two day class. I might not have made it "on the score board" on my first rodeo, my qualifier scores doubled from the first pass to the third pass on Day 2 and my groupings improved significantly.

I just joined an outdoor range and I am already registered for the Pistol 100 class! I promise to practice taking the full allowed time and will use binocs after each shot if need be.

Top Bottom