• ...and so much more!
  • Never A Victim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Hamilton County
    Vehicle Dynamics-Garry Marr

This is a course review for Vehicle Dynamics with Garry Marr. This course was taught in Marion, IL on 09/30/2017-10/01/2017. This course was centered around fighting inside, from, and around vehicles. This course was part science lab and part how to fight with a rifle or pistol in and around your vehicle. Gear used was a Glock 19 with XS Big Dot Sights, NSR holster, and Rifle Dynamics AK-47. I experienced no gear failures during this course.

Day one was entirely pistol work. We started with some warm up drills away from the vehicles. Once that was out of the way, we began shooting from the driver’s seat (out the windows and through the windshield) and eventually transitioning to how to exit the vehicle. One of the most difficult tasks about shooting and moving inside a vehicle isn’t the shooting or moving part-its the muzzle discipline part. Not letting your muzzle cross anything you’re not willing to destroy still applies inside of your vehicle, and it is more difficult than you think. After getting some practice exiting the vehicle, we began to use the vehicle for cover, concealment, or a barricade. We all know that very few parts of a vehicle will stop bullets, but knowing how to shoot around the vehicle and how to use it to get a more stable shot was a great learning experience.

Day two was rifle work. I was a little concerned about how I would maneuver the rifle in the small spaces of the driver’s compartment. Interestingly enough, it was very similar to day one while using a pistol. The biggest difference being that muzzle up (which is usually the safest direction inside or outside of a vehicle) was difficult or impossible at times to achieve. The drills were almost identical with the rifle as they were with the pistol. Contrary to popular belief, shooting an AK-47 inside of a vehicle will not disorient you, and it honestly felt pretty much like shooting the rifle outside. Garry also went into great detail about considerations when you have a rifle in your vehicle. Several different positions were shown, and I left this class reconsidering how I am going to transport my rifle when I’m on long road trips. I was reminded that muzzle sight offset still applies aside from shooting paper targets-most notably while shooting underneath the vehicle near the fuel tank.

I found the science lab portion of the course very interesting. Garry went into great detail to show the “general” path bullets take when they enter and exit a windshield and how bullets will skip off the side of the vehicle. We also had the opportunity to break a section of window glass using the muzzle of our rifle. The final testing we did was shooting the vehicle from about 25 yards away. Garry placed targets on the other side of the vehicle to show how bullets change trajectory once they enter the vehicle. With all of the rounds we fired at the vehicle, only a few hit the targets on the other side; there were no vital heart or brain hits.

I learned so many things from this course. I learned more from this two day course than I have in over a decade with law enforcement training on this topic. I learned that muzzle direction is king; while working inside and outside of a vehicle, up is usually the best option. I learned there are three types of objects in relation to your gunfight: cover, concealment, and barricades. I learned that shooting through or into a windshield will deflect your rounds from their intended path. The way to mitigate this is to shoot a hole big enough that your rounds will eventually hit the target without touching the windshield glass. Most importantly I learned that if you’re in the vehicle when you are being shot at, you need to get out or drive away. Winning a gunfight (with gunfire) while staying inside the vehicle is going to be very difficult to do. Running a mother****er over is still a win, too.

I recommend this course and I think you should train with Garry Marr any chance you get.

“If they show up in a steel coffin, bury them in it.”-Garry Marr

Top Bottom