• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • markholst

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 21, 2016
    Russiaville
    I'm attempting to transition from shooting pistol with the ol' one eye open aiming to keeping both eyes open, but having problems. I keep losing the sight. The darn thing just disappears! One second it is there, next it is gone. If I move it, it will magically reappear. Any suggestions on drills to help me improve?

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I have attempted this conversion in the past and to me the juice isn't worth the squeeze.
    One of the tips that helped me in the beginning of my attempt was to place a piece of scotch tape on your non-dominate eye lens. This helps a bunch with seeing 2 sets of sights.
    Good luck!

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I think there are other more valuable skills to spend time on than that. Just don't feel like it will get you some reasonable advantage. Learn to call shots, snap eyes on transitions and spend the time an energy on trigger control and you will be a better shooter for the effort. Both eyes open and a lack of these other skills and there will be no noticeable improvement in your shooting.

Front sight focus, proper grip on the pistol, calling shots, pressing the trigger with only moving one finger are all things that are unnatural and counter intuitive. Building habits that make these things your default takes time and need to accomplished through repeated practice. I think time is better spent there.

Good luck in your journey.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    I have attempted this conversion in the past and to me the juice isn't worth the squeeze.
    One of the tips that helped me in the beginning of my attempt was to place a piece of scotch tape on your non-dominate eye lens. This helps a bunch with seeing 2 sets of sights.
    Good luck!

I did this as well for awhile. Now that this is replanted in my hand I'll start closing my eye again

markholst

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 21, 2016
    Russiaville
    I think there are other more valuable skills to spend time on than that. Just don't feel like it will get you some reasonable advantage. Learn to call shots, snap eyes on transitions and spend the time an energy on trigger control and you will be a better shooter for the effort. Both eyes open and a lack of these other skills and there will be no noticeable improvement in your shooting.

Front sight focus, proper grip on the pistol, calling shots, pressing the trigger with only moving one finger are all things that are unnatural and counter intuitive. Building habits that make these things your default takes time and need to accomplished through repeated practice. I think time is better spent there.

Good luck in your journey.

"Snap eyes on transitions"?

Whatcha talking 'bout Willis? First time I've heard that phrase. The mental pictures coming to mind are quite funny though...

markholst

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 21, 2016
    Russiaville
    Good luck!

The amount of time I spent...in the sauce, shall we say... as a young man has helped with seeing more than one... ;)

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    "Snap eyes on transitions"?

Whatcha talking 'bout Willis? First time I've heard that phrase. The mental pictures coming to mind are quite funny though...
    A technique on shooting multiple targets or threats at speed without compromising accuracy.

What is your goal with both eyes open?

markholst

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 21, 2016
    Russiaville
    A technique on shooting multiple targets or threats at speed without compromising accuracy.

What is your goal with both eyes open?

When I shoot a long gun with a scope, I use both eyes. One through the scope, other on the target. Helps on target acquisition for secondary target or follow up shot. Seemed like a good idea to do the same with pistol.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    When I shoot a long gun with a scope, I use both eyes. One through the scope, other on the target. Helps on target acquisition for secondary target or follow up shot. Seemed like a good idea to do the same with pistol.

Scopes are different that iron sights on the pistol. Front sight focus is a different plane than the target. Through a scope the target and the dot or the cross hairs appear as the same plane.

With iron sights on the pistol a follow up shot is nearly instantly available you simply have to allow the front sight to settle out of recoil and it the target or threat are there then press the trigger again. The second eye being open or shut will simply not matter on that.

Find a secondary target is often sighted as a reason from keeping both eyes open, and If it is possible to shoot well with both eyes open then by all means. However, I cannot be focused on the front sight and finding secondary targets or watching my field of vision at the same time. I am suspicious of that school of thought. Just my thoughts. I by no means want to tell you or anyone else what to do. I am not a liberal.:)

Might be worth considering spending time on some other skill.

Top Bottom