• ...and so much more!
  • Never A Victim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Hamilton County
    Fighting Shotgun-Tactical Response 10/28-10/29/17-Camden, TN

This is a review for Fighting Shotgun at Tactical Response. This course was taught by Tim Morris and Jay Gibson. During this course we shot approximately 600 birdshot, 25 buckshot, and 15 slugs. Gear used was a Remington 870 and Glock 19. At the end of day one, my Remington 870 had a spring failure in the trigger group, and I was unable to complete the course with my shotgun. I was loaned a Mossberg 590 by one of the instructors and I completed the course with that shotgun.

When people talk about a shotgun, they generally fall into one of two categories: (1) Shotguns have no purpose in today’s gunfights, or (2) You don’t need a training to effectively use a shotgun. Both couldn’t be more wrong.

Day one focused on how to keep the shotgun running-inevitably the most difficult aspect of using a shotgun. Learning to transition from shoulder to shoulder and how to shoot from the ground were also eye opening experiences for someone who has never shot from these positions. Day two was spent doing what the shotgun excels at, defensive shooting. This included patterning our shotguns for buckshot as well as precision slug shots from 25 yards. Learning how to employ the shotgun and when to select each type of ammunition reaffirms the lethality and versatility of the shotgun.

Out of all of the shotgun courses I have taken, this course ran myself and my equipment the hardest. This course pushed me to my physical limits several times. I always knew running a shotgun effectively was a workout, but after Fighting Shotgun I have a new appreciation for how I should be training. Like every Tactical Response course, a fighting mindset was paramount. After completing this course, I am much more confident not only at fighting with a shotgun, but also at teaching someone else how to run a shotgun. I would still pick up a rifle over a shotgun if I had a choice, but now I have one more set of skills in my toolbox if the need arises. Shotgun training is perhaps one of the most neglected in the firearms realm, but it is a skillset that needs to be understood and respected. I highly recommend this course.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Thanks for posting the review. I've always thought it would be a good one, and it's good to know how it compared to other courses. Oh, and did anyone beat Tim??

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    What type of buckshot patterned best in your shotgun?

What were feelings on the 590 after running it for the day?

Never A Victim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Hamilton County
    Thanks for posting the review. I've always thought it would be a good one, and it's good to know how it compared to other courses. Oh, and did anyone beat Tim??

Tim refused to compete. He did challenge to me to a 25 yard slug shot competition. And he won. And he has reminded me of it several times since the class ended.

Ive taken two other shotgun courses with Steve Fisher and Tom Givens. While I really liked these other two courses as well, Fighting Shotgun from Tactical Response was my favorite shotgun course so far.

Never A Victim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Hamilton County
    What type of buckshot patterned best in your shotgun?

What were feelings on the 590 after running it for the day?

Even though my 870 went down at the end of day one, I still liked the ergonomics of the 870. I plan to replace my trigger group and keep running my 870. But the 590 is a good choice too.

I used Federal Flite Control 9 pellet 00 buck. Once I get my shotgun up and running, I plan to test some Fiocchi buck as well. Its a never ending process.

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Nice review. You have me interested now in getting down on the ground/awkward positions with a shotgun!
    What was the ratio of pump versus semi auto's ?
    Were there any glaring benefits or disadvantages to one over the other ?

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Nice review. You have me interested now in getting down on the ground/awkward positions with a shotgun!
    What was the ratio of pump versus semi auto's ?
    Were there any glaring benefits or disadvantages to one over the other ?
    Ive not taken a TR shotgun class, but at Louis Awerbuck’s shotgun class, I had three shotguns, an 870, a 590, and a Benelli. Louis took me aside and said, T*****, run that auto until it breaks, then, pick up your 870, and all will be well. The Benelli didn’t break, but I still ran the second day with the 870. Louis actually, or maybe cussed me in Afrikaans, because the Benelli didn’t fail? Moral of story, it doesn’t matter on the platform, as long as it works!(or you take a cursing in Afrikaans.)

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Ive not taken a TR shotgun class, but at Louis Awerbuck’s shotgun class, I had three shotguns, an 870, a 590, and a Benelli. Louis took me aside and said, T*****, run that auto until it breaks, then, pick up your 870, and all will be well. The Benelli didn’t break, but I still ran the second day with the 870. Louis actually, or maybe cussed me in Afrikaans, because the Benelli didn’t fail? Moral of story, it doesn’t matter on the platform, as long as it works!(or you take a cursing in Afrikaans.)

Just saw an AAR on a shotgun with a guy I know out east, and they had more pumps go down than auto's. This seems to be becoming a trend. I think part of that is Remington's poor 870 quality these days. Pump guns are trying to go the cheap route. I would expect a $1,000 gun to outperform a $350 one.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013

I'm intereted to see what the OP posts but it looks like Cedar Drop has got a scoop. I know from talking to Tim he said that he feels like with training you can run a pump faster a lot of the time but he's a very big fan of Benelli and the Versa Max I believe.
    I really just wanted to comment to say of course your Benelli didn't fail. I am a benelli guy through and through, I've seen them do things beyond what I wouldn't expect most other guns to do, they are beyond impressive! Which one are you running?

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I'm intereted to see what the OP posts but it looks like Cedar Drop has got a scoop. I know from talking to Tim he said that he feels like with training you can run a pump faster a lot of the time but he's a very big fan of Benelli and the Versa Max I believe.
    I really just wanted to comment to say of course your Benelli didn't fail. I am a benelli guy through and through, I've seen them do things beyond what I wouldn't expect most other guns to do, they are beyond impressive! Which one are you running?
    M1Super90

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I like the pump more for home defense. Seems more reliable and I have more control in close quarters and less likely to rub on a wall or corner and cause a malfunction. Just fast shooting with what is in the gun the semi auto has a slight advantage. Just not a fan of the Remington even though it is the gold standard in a lot of circles.

Top Bottom