• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    I recently started working at range that has an RSO stationed on the range. I've spent time there and in other ranges but never hours at a stretch as an RSO. After observing people for several hours there I realized an extremely small percentage of people have even basic knowledge of their own firearms. How in the world do you convince people, training is essential, firearms being inherently dangerous in the hands of untrained people?

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life Member,[/FONT] Pistol instructor[FONT=&quot] /[/FONT][FONT=&quot] RSO[/FONT]
    Glock/M&P certified armorer
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]“[/FONT]Safety is not something that you hold in your hands, it happens between your ears”
    Col. Jeff Cooper

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    You have a couple of generations now that have been taught that "guns are bad.. . . .m'kay?" They're only exposure to their use is via video games so that 's what they carry with them to the range! I literally told a group of foreign students at Atterbury several years ago that if they pointed their "toy" in my direction one more time I was going to feel threatened and shoot them all! Idiots kept sweeping everyone there that day and after repeated attempts to personally explain to them the dangers of their actions I made my statement. The RSO there that day had witnessed it "several times" but didn't interject until I "threatened" them. You can't fix stupid on either side of the firing line.

I'm curious what you've seen that has convinced you that an extremely small percentage have even basic knowledge of their own firearms?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    I dont like going to public ranges... 'nuff said.

My ladies father taught his daughter the dangers of sweeping by having her carry an unloaded revolver around the house for a few days. Every time she swept someone she had to put a buck in a jar. I dont agree with the method but shes pretty good about keeping the muzzel pointed towards dirt.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Perhaps that is an unusually small sample. However, as a former Army and law enforcement guy, maybe I'm thinking those of us with training are overrepresented?

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I feel your pain it amazes me at the level of incompetence in basic firearms handling not to mention some have no idea how to load the thing. I frequent a range that has 12 foot berms between lanes just because of this fact. It’s incomprehensible for me to believe you would handle a potentially deadly tool without knowing anything.

My last assignment in the Army was the 1SG of the Instructor Company at Ft.Sill I was responsible for running about 36 ranges.
    The privately owned weapon range was one of them. We had a small class to familiarize the user to the range often the person had no idea how to load the weapon. I assigned the most recent returned from deployment to the range. This was to get them a break they could work about 8 hours and hit the house. We ran a class once a week for new shooters in order to teach the basics it became very popular. Some people want to learn the right way and be safe then others think they are smarter than everyone.
    Hang in there and be safe!

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Like it or not, the "video game generation" is upon us, they have no idea what they don't know, and we have to deal with it. It's going to require a conscious emphasis on (competent) training, and the strong suggestion to first-time buyers that they get it. Gun shops can tell easily enough who the newbies are. Get them pointed in that direction. In this day in age, if I was an LGS or other type of business owner, I'd be working out a relationship with training provider(s), getting a discount in exchange for steering business their way, and then encouraging obvious newbies in that direction. I would be most of them would be appreciative for it.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    Try going to the public Ocala forest shooting range here in Ocala, fl. You might live. You will have to demand they set up targets once every half hour because they just shoot and shoot and shoot and shoot. They shoot sideways, rapid fire, etc while never hitting anything. I never pay for targets because I just use a target that some one left with no hits on it. I save a woman's thumb every time I go there from their boyfriend "training them". I have rednecks shouting at me because I shamed them for pointing their Lorcin down the line at someone's daughter. I had a gun shop employee brag to me that he pointed a gun at someone's forehead for an unsafe action(so he corrected an unsafe action with a felony). I once told a woman to not touch the firearms during the cease fire and she scornfully corrected me by telling me , "it's not loaded and I'm not gonna shoot you" That is just what I remember recently. I had a older gentleman telling me how he could make a silencer for me for cheaper than he has seen online. They also take realtors sign which are very expensive for realtors out to the range to hold their targets. So,yes, your observation is echoed by me.

Not to mention, it is a monthly thing for me to have a gunshot threat for taking a photo on a public street as an appraiser. There are a lot of idiots in Florida and I don't mind saying it.

I recently started working at range that has an RSO stationed on the range. I've spent time there and in other ranges but never hours at a stretch as an RSO. After observing people for several hours there I realized an extremely small percentage of people have even basic knowledge of their own firearms. How in the world do you convince people, training is essential, firearms being inherently dangerous in the hands of untrained people?

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member,[/FONT] Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]“[/FONT]Safety is not something that you hold in your hands, it happens between your ears”
    Col. Jeff Cooper

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I feel your pain it amazes me at the level of incompetence in basic firearms handling not to mention some have no idea how to load the thing. I frequent a range that has 12 foot berms between lanes just because of this fact. It’s incomprehensible for me to believe you would handle a potentially deadly tool without knowing anything.

My last assignment in the Army was the 1SG of the Instructor Company at Ft.Sill I was responsible for running about 36 ranges.
    The privately owned weapon range was one of them. We had a small class to familiarize the user to the range often the person had no idea how to load the weapon. I assigned the most recent returned from deployment to the range. This was to get them a break they could work about 8 hours and hit the house. We ran a class once a week for new shooters in order to teach the basics it became very popular. Some people want to learn the right way and be safe then others think they are smarter than everyone.
    Hang in there and be safe!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Like it or not, the "video game generation" is upon us, they have no idea what they don't know, and we have to deal with it.

From classes, gun shops, and public ranges there is no generational issue with idiocy with guns. Papaw is just as likely to flag you because he knows it's not loaded as Skippy Jr.

Indiucky and I had polite but firm words with a gray hair who flagged his wife not terribly long ago, with Indiucky finally physically pushing the guy's pistol toward the ground.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    With tax credits.

Oh, wait, have I mentioned that idea of mine on INGO before?:D
    Kirk, sometimes I think you are spot on but this time I think you're 180 degrees off. I would be willing to bet if the training was free you couldn't drag most of these people into a class kicking and screaming. I've heard BBI and Coach talk about the attitude I see and I think they are spot on. Most of the folks I speak about will happily tell you that they are experienced and highly qualified so training is just a waste of their precious time. :)
    Femurphy77, to your question. No idea how to clear a simple jam. Rounds loaded in magazines 180 out as well as rounds 180 out partially chambered. Shooter 1 (in lane next to the wall) runs a target down with playing cards on it. His buddy is in the lane beside him and they are shooting for poker hands. Buddy has no idea each of his shots are impacting the wall not the backstop.
    A great percentage of these people don't shoot at any specific spot on the target, anywhere on the 23X35 paper is their target. 30 shots through an AR @ 7 yards with an optic and a bipod and still missing the intended point of aim by 6".
    " I've been shooting 50 years and don't need advice" 5 minutes later asking for a band-aid for a sliced thumb.. Should I continue? :ugh: if it wasn't firearm related it would be terribly amusing. There is a huge number of folks that CAN'T manage to form the words "I don't know" with their lips. My guess would be that they are probably split about 50/50 between won't admit they don't know and stuck on stupid.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member,[/FONT] Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]“[/FONT]Safety is not something that you hold in your hands, it happens between your ears”
    Col. Jeff Cooper

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Try going to the public Ocala forest shooting range here in Ocala, fl. You might live. You will have to demand they set up targets once every half hour because they just shoot and shoot and shoot and shoot. They shoot sideways, rapid fire, etc while never hitting anything. I never pay for targets because I just use a target that some one left with no hits on it. I save a woman's thumb every time I go there from their boyfriend "training them". I have rednecks shouting at me because I shamed them for pointing their Lorcin down the line at someone's daughter. I had a gun shop employee brag to me that he pointed a gun at someone's forehead for an unsafe action(so he corrected an unsafe action with a felony). I once told a woman to not touch the firearms during the cease fire and she scornfully corrected me by telling me , "it's not loaded and I'm not gonna shoot you" That is just what I remember recently. I had a older gentleman telling me how he could make a silencer for me for cheaper than he has seen online. They also take realtors sign which are very expensive for realtors out to the range to hold their targets. So,yes, your observation is echoed by me.

Not to mention, it is a monthly thing for me to have a gunshot threat for taking a photo on a public street as an appraiser. There are a lot of idiots in Florida and I don't mind saying it.

You're in Ocala....so I'm not surprised. Ocala is a really interesting place. Whenever I think about how backwards the people in my hometown are, I thankful I have Ocala to think about. lol

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Kirk, sometimes I think you are spot on but this time I think you're 180 degrees off. I would be willing to bet if the training was free you couldn't drag most of these people into a class kicking and screaming. I've heard BBI and Coach talk about the attitude I see and I think they are spot on. Most of the folks I speak about will happily tell you that they are experienced and highly qualified so training is just a waste of their precious time. :)
    Femurphy77, to your question. No idea how to clear a simple jam. Rounds loaded in magazines 180 out as well as rounds 180 out partially chambered. Shooter 1 (in lane next to the wall) runs a target down with playing cards on it. His buddy is in the lane beside him and they are shooting for poker hands. Buddy has no idea each of his shots are impacting the wall not the backstop.
    A great percentage of these people don't shoot at any specific spot on the target, anywhere on the 23X35 paper is their target. 30 shots through an AR @ 7 yards with an optic and a bipod and still missing the intended point of aim by 6".
    " I've been shooting 50 years and don't need advice" 5 minutes later asking for a band-aid for a sliced thumb.. Should I continue? :ugh: if it wasn't firearm related it would be terribly amusing. There is a huge number of folks that CAN'T manage to form the words "I don't know" with their lips. My guess would be that they are probably split about 50/50 between won't admit they don't know and stuck on stupid.

NRA Life Member, Pistol instructor / RSO
    Safety is not something that you hold in your hands, it happens between your ears”
    Col. Jeff Cooper

A couple of your examples I'd just call entertainment but yeah most of them are doucehbaggery leading to dangerous situations. Honestly I don't know how you guys deal with it on a daily basis! The few times I've been to a public range it's definitely been eye opening.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Have you seen how people drive? That is with training and a test.

But, in any case, it starts at home. Teach your kids, and teach your family. Offer to take anyone who has an interest to the range. Take you kids' friends (with their parents'; permission). Model the correct behavior for them, every day. Get involved with the shooting sports. Take classes. Teach classes.

Short of mandated Government action, that's about it.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    We pay dumb people to breed. That's should answer any questions

You have no idea how much I appreciate your comment Mike. An absolute truth and my laugh of the day, no make that my laugh of the week. :lmfao:Why didn't I think of that.
    Some are just ignorant (simply lacking knowledge) but a bigger percentage are stupid (showing a great lack of intelligence, dimwits) Brings to mind the phrase, you can't polish a T**d

Drivers are a good analogy, even with training and a test many are dangerous at best, aaaaaaand then their phone distracts them.

Col. Jeff Cooper

Turf Doctor

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Nov 2, 2012
    Brownsburg
    My niece told me she doesn't need a class or training as she knows how to put the bullets in and pull the trigger. That should be enough.

I was at an indoor range 1 week or so back and a couple dudes came in with pistol and shotgun. They were loading the shotgun by the wall behind them rather in the bay. They had no clue what their purpose was. After this I packed my stuff and left..

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    My niece told me she doesn't need a class or training as she knows how to put the bullets in and pull the trigger. That should be enough.
    I've learned in training with Coach and BBIs is that I was not nearly as prepared as I thought I was and I imagine if your Niece were to get some serious training she will realize the same thing. A friend of mine said she would just take a couple of shots and the intruder would get the message and retreat. My response was, what about the neighbor you shot when you missed the intruder. If you are going to try to defend yourself I think it's impossible to calculate the value of good training.
    [FONT=&amp]“[/FONT]Safety is not something that you hold in your hands or
    engage and disengage, it happens between your ears”
    Col. Jeff Cooper

Last edited:

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Imminent safety concerns aside, just ya'll be careful that your skills and knowledge don't bleed into self-righteousness. An air of superiority converts an opportunity for learning into an opportunity for sh@# in zero time flat.

-Nate

Top Bottom