• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    My wife has recently asked me about starting to get trained. She has fired a gun, but is not what any of us would call a "shooter". I was thinking that a basic pistol class would be good. I may take it with her because...why not?

So, where to go? I've not been to the Point Blank in Merrillville. Any thoughts on that one?

Anywhere else in the Region we should consider?

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I cannot speak to the training at Point Blank up there. I recently did some private instruction with a person who had attended the Basic Pistol class in Greenwood. I contradicted many things she had been told. I suspect they teach in a boiler plate fashion as is it a corporation. But there were several problems with what the client had been taught. So caution would be prudent.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    I'm sure PB's training will be the same as any other NRA training in the area. Live Free (americansurvivor.org) has a local Defensive Pistol trainer in Da Region that puts on two day classes ever so often. His training curriculum would be more like what you would receive at a place like Front Sight in Nevada. Our very own Turnandshoot on INGO does training and he is top notch and in your area. I think he goes by Infinity Solutions and I think Copper Custom offers training too right there in Valpo.

Since your in the area and it sounds like you shoot at Point Blank if you message me I'm down there all the time. I could give you a hand with proper handling, safety, presentation, and sight alignment if you want. I'm not a instructor but play one with a local defensive pistol/carbine instructor. I'm sure there are a few other shooters in our NWI INGO group who have donated time instructing at the Winamac youth shoots who would offer some help also if you like...

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Thanks for the input, everyone.

I have not shot at Point Blank, I was just checking out the various ranges. Blythes is closest to home, and price isn't the ultimate factor, but from what my wife told me, its more expensive than some other places and I would like to know that I am getting something more if I pay more.

PMR

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    NWI, Cedar Lake
    Hey Hough, I've been out a few days so I hope I'm not to late to reply. I took the Basic Class at Point Blank and was very disappointed. Great range and will shoot there again but don't waste your time with the class.

I sent my daughter to NPCCC - North Porter County Conservaton Club for a women only class a couple years ago and from what she reported to me I would say it was great. As I remember the classes get scheduled close to the date of the class and was around $40.00. An INGO member was very involved with NPCCC, IIRC his name is Mac and his INGO name is IN_Sheepdog.

NWIs&wShield

Plinker
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2017
    NWI
    I have taken a CCW Skills course at Point Blank.
    A very good experience at a reasonable cost.
    Instructor was a local area police officer.

Classroom materials were minimal and could definitely use improvement.
    However, the materials did have useful self-directed range exercises to use.
    Found it interesting that there was no student feedback form after the conclusion of class.

As a sidenote:
    I am looking to become certified as a USCCA Instructor within a couple of months and will be serving NW Indiana as a mobile instructor in 3 courses
    --Basic Handgun
    --Concealed Carry, and
    --Home Defense and Protection Plan

I will update here when I'm able to offer these.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

NWIs&wShield

Plinker
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2017
    NWI
    USCCA Certified Instructor for NW Indiana and the Illiana Region.
    219-513-3212
    DefensiveCarryTraining@gmail.com
    Training you...in your own location!
    Dan offers the unique experience of meeting at the location of your group, club, church, business, even your family and friends in your own home, to teach you the outstanding curriculum of the USCCA in the courses:
    --Basic handgun
    --Concealed carry
    --Home defense
    --Now also offering Countering the Mass Shooter Threat for your building, business, school, church, etc.
    with more courses soon to come!

These courses teach you the principles, laws, preparedness of protection planning, and much more. You will learn thoroughly of defensive handgun use, equipping you in the most essential skills you will need through non-live ammunition training.

The value of "dry-fire" training cannot be overstated. In these courses, the student will be able to learn and practice defensive firearm skills that are absolutely necessary, but are impossible or prohibited at live-fire ranges, such as:
    --drawing from the holster
    --moving off of the "X"
    --rapid fire practice

If you have not yet made your first handgun purchase, or are new to the world of firearm ownership, that is ideal! This course will not tell you which handgun is right for you, but will equip you with the tools you need in the process.

If you are already a handgun owner looking for some refresher classes, the USCCA offers these excellent courses where you WILL learn something new.

Dan brings decades of teaching experience in many different areas in a patient and encouraging environment. Your experience in the USCCA course will be fun and rewarding.

Contact Dan today to get your journey started!

Top Bottom