• ...and so much more!
  • hoosierglock40

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Background
    In the last few years I have been working on getting my parents and sister more informed about self defense and firearms. My father is a life-long hunter and taught me about firearms and safety at a very early age and has his LTCH, but I had only seen him carry a handgun a handful of times in my life. My sister and mother have always been around firearms but never showed much interest other than occasionally shooting a round or two while my dad and I sighted in our hunting rifles. After some time all three of them purchased their own handguns and got their LTCH. After some training, my dad now carries everyday :rockwoot:

Point Blank Class
    My sister and mother wanted and needed additional training so I searched for opportunities for them. On black friday I found a deal at Point Blank Greenwood for a Ladies Only Basic Handgun class for $30. I signed both of them up for it as an early Christmas present. They attended this class last night 12/12. In speaking to them afterwards they informed me that for the first (roughly) hour and half of this class, the instructor was demonstrating with her personal handgun and proceeded to wave the muzzle around while speaking and swept the class on many multiple occasions. She later got out a Blue gun for more demonstrations. After hearing this I was not at all happy! The most important thing that new shooters need to learn is to ALWAYS KEEP THE MUZZLE POINTED IN A SAFE DIRECTION and this was obviously not a good example. PB has a policy that all attendees must leave all live ammo in their cars until it's time to move from the classroom to the range but I see this as no excuse. On top of this, they told me that for the first half hour the instructors child was in the room because she had "complications with her sitter." I understand that this stuff happens sometimes, but overall, from what I have heard thus far, I am not impressed with PB's classes. I was looking for more advanced classes that my father and I could go to together but now I think I will be looking elsewhere.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    If the safety was lacking I cannot imagine that the fundamentals being taught were solid.

I have two classes coming up in January. The experience will be much different.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I've attended a number of classes with Coach. (disclaimer) I also assist him on occasion with classes.
    I've taken other training, Gunsite would be a name most would recognize, and what Coach does is second to none. I'm always beating the training drum but substandard training is worse than no training at all. I'm sorry to hear your sister and mother had a bad experience. I believe the powers that be at Point Blank would like to made aware of your situation so they could correct the problem. Just saying you are a trainer "don't make it so" but you have found that out the hard way.
    Along with knowing the subject material Coach can demonstrate the things he is teaching and that is rare with anything other than nationally recognized training courses. I'm happy to put what little credibility I might have behind Coach and any training he is involved with. Just my :twocents:

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member,[/FONT] Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT]
    “Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public”
    [FONT=&amp] Aron Bright[/FONT]

Last edited:

Viper1973

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    I believe the powers that be at Point Blank would like to made aware of your situation so they could correct the problem. Just saying you are a trainer don't make it so but you have found that out the hard way.

I strongly agree with NHT3.... I've worked with the PointBlank folks (various locations) and the experience you had is totally unacceptable to completely contrary to their entire mindset. I'd recommend giving Tom Willingham's office a call: 513-766-0830

Tom is the founder and CEO of PointBlank. I've known him for years and he would want to know about this.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I would call the Greenwood store and talk with the manager. Give them a chance to sort it out before going to the CEO's office.

I like this attitude.

How does what is described happen in the first place? How is someone that feels they can impart gun handling and knowledge to others so lacking in knowledge?

Top Bottom