Baby on the way, are lasers the answer to staying fresh?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    A local shop/range/school has sirt training pistols. they teach a course based around them and allow you to buy one at a discounted rate afterwards. Is this a viable way to stay fresh while staying home with the baby before work rather than hitting the range a time or two a week? I have a nice little setup in my back yard and garage for the UTM training rounds in my ar, but I still can't do much of that if the baby is awake and needing my attention.

Any way I can stay somewhat fresh without actually sending the hate?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I had a SIRT for awhile and got bored with it pretty quickly. That isn't to say they don't hold training value but the trigger was different than my carry gun(s) and I find that to be counter productive for my proficiency.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    National Champions are made through dry fire and mental rehearsal whether they get to a live fire range or not.

If it's boring, get over it. I admit it isn't always fun, but it works. I can hit the things I can hit in great part due to lots of shooting at dots on drywall.

-Nate

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    You can work on a lot of fundamentals in dry fire. I've never used a laser, just snap caps and watching the front sight. If you can call your shots in live fire, you can do it in dry fire. Stoeger's book on dry fire can help relieve some of the boredom by giving you goals and different drills...but it's still not a lot of fun.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Do you have this software CM? I'd like to try it. I have the M&P version of the SiRT.

I do. I have not used it recently, embarrassingly, but yes, I do have it. You are welcome to stop by for a beer and some play time in the basement.

EDIT: Yes, I just realized the above statement is probably sig worthy. :laugh:

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I do. I have not used it recently, embarrassingly, but yes, I do have it. You are welcome to stop by for a beer and some play time in the basement.

EDIT: Yes, I just realized the above statement is probably sig worthy. :laugh:

Beer and basement playtime is how I ended up with this baby predicament

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Anything and everything you do for training can help...as long as you can apply it to the weapons you will use. As BBI said snap caps and dry fire get your hands on your weapon of choice...just make sure to check your sights to make sure you are pointing where you think you are. Calling your shots with or without ammo as it were.

Kids are great, they all turn out different than you expected. Raise them right, teach them to shoot and protect freedom. Have fun! It's a family adventure not a chore. Our future is now in your hands.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ... Stoeger's book on dry fire can help relieve some of the boredom by giving you goals and different drills...

This is the kind of thing I love about INGO - learning about a book that wasn't on my radar. :yesway:

Don't underestimate the value of dry fire practice.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ... Stoeger's book on dry fire can help relieve some of the boredom by giving you goals and different drills.....

Been looking into Stoeger's books on dry fire - Dry-Fire Training: For the Practical Shooter, and DryFire Reloaded. I'm not sure if these are meant to be complimentary volumes, or if the second is a "new and improved" version of the first.

The Kindle samples look like almost the same book.

Anyone have both books such that you can compare/contrast?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    National Champions are made through dry fire and mental rehearsal whether they get to a live fire range or not.

If it's boring, get over it. I admit it isn't always fun, but it works. I can hit the things I can hit in great part due to lots of shooting at dots on drywall.

-Nate

I wasn't speaking against dry fire, I'm well aware of it's benefits and have built a pretty extensive training program for recruits around it (they'll dry fire thousands of times before ever firing a live round). The laser did not impress and the fact that the trigger of the SIRT was nothing like that of any Glock I've ever owned resulted in it going bye bye. I also found that it didn't take long before my focus failed to remain on the front sight through the trigger break and instead started watching for the laser to appear, not exactly a procedure for good fundamental accuracy.

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom