• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Viper1973

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Does anyone know of anyone who teaches personal combatives type classes. I'm looking for something similar to USMC MCMAP that teaches basic self defense, weapons retention, countering gun/knife assailants when one doesn't have a firearm to defend themselves. Something geared to the beginner.

Given the number of 'gun free' zones and easily offended snowflakes, I figured it was probably time to add something else to my arsenal of tactics that can't be disarmed.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

Viper1973

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012

Interesting option... but I was looking for something less firearm dependent and more martial arts.
    im basically wanting to learn skills that could be used where firearm access is restricted.

The Marine Corps Martial Arts Program - on paper at least - appears to be exactly what I’m looking for. However, I’ve not been able to find any one or group that trains a civilianized version.

i figured there had to be something out there similar for law enforcement folks also, but I haven’t found anything. I was hoping the vast backgrounds of our members could steer me in the right direction.

Viper1973

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012

Lol... if I was 25 instead of 45 I would in a heartbeat.

My father was an Army MP and in law enforcement for years and years. He pushed and pushed me towards that career path. As a typical rebellious teen I strongly resisted and pursued a career in IT. One of my biggest regrets.

Looking back on things he was (and still is) 100% correct.... that should have been my career path.

Now the best I can do is try and learn as much about what I missed out on.

Selfpreservation

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Central
    Does anyone know of anyone who teaches personal combatives type classes. I'm looking for something similar to USMC MCMAP that teaches basic self defense, weapons retention, countering gun/knife assailants when one doesn't have a firearm to defend themselves. Something geared to the beginner.

Given the number of 'gun free' zones and easily offended snowflakes, I figured it was probably time to add something else to my arsenal of tactics that can't be disarmed.

Where are you located? Our classes cover the topics you mention. We are located in Noblesville.
    SELFPRESERVATIONTRAINING.COM

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Location. Location. Location. If you are close to Sheridan or Kokomo, I have one of my Brothers that could help you in this endeavour. He can tailor a course or you can start at one of the best gyms like The Pit or BJJ dojo I highly recommend. I know of a Krav Maga place at Allisonville and 96th Street that is highly effective as well.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    Here is another avenue....

I have been training in Krav Maga since 2012. I take classes at Krav Maga Worldwide Indianapolis located at 116th & Allisonville in Fishers. The training center is owned by Jeff Fredericksen who is like one of 5 guys in the US trained above Level 2 DAN in Krav Maga. Plus he is just a nice guy.

Anyway...within the curriculum of Krav Maga, they teach weapons defense. As well, and if you don't want to sign up for a membership, they do training seminars a few times per year. I have personally taken their gun defense seminar (long guns & pistols), active shooter seminar & car jacking seminar. They also do a knife/blunt object defense seminar and women's self defense seminars. They are typically about $100 for a 2 day class.

Here is a link to their site if you want to check it out. Krav Maga Worldwide - Indy

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Here is another avenue....

I have been training in Krav Maga since 2012. I take classes at Krav Maga Worldwide Indianapolis located at 116th & Allisonville in Fishers. The training center is owned by Jeff Fredericksen who is like one of 5 guys in the US trained above Level 2 DAN in Krav Maga. Plus he is just a nice guy.

Anyway...within the curriculum of Krav Maga, they teach weapons defense. As well, and if you don't want to sign up for a membership, they do training seminars a few times per year. I have personally taken their gun defense seminar (long guns & pistols), active shooter seminar & car jacking seminar. They also do a knife/blunt object defense seminar and women's self defense seminars. They are typically about $100 for a 2 day class.

Here is a link to their site if you want to check it out. Krav Maga Worldwide - Indy

Is there a way to be notified of the semiars? I'd be interested in trying this in a seminar format.

Bucknut

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Fishers
    Sounds like the Krav Maga training curriculum is what you are looking for. Jeff and his instructors are top notch (says the proud dad who’s son just earned his youth Krav Maga Black Belt).

jkdbjj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2015
    rural

Viper, not knowing where you are located...here is a link to Jack McVicker's website...he is one of the best anywhere.

McVicker Martial Arts

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Viper, not knowing where you are located...here is a link to Jack McVicker's website...he is one of the best anywhere.

McVicker Martial Arts

I'm a big fan of McVicker's.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...aining-mcvicker%92s-martial-arts-jkd-bjj.html

I am not super familiar with the USMC Martial Arts program. The JKD we do at McVicker's covers weapons (except guns and disarms) and the topics mentioned in the OP, but probably approached in a different way. Most of the weapon work (knife and stick) is based on Filipino Martial Arts, which is different from what I know of Marine Corps Combatives. The BJJ and grappling are top tier, but tend to be competition oriented. Grappling for self defense is definitely covered, but not always the focus.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom