What are your going to in 2018 to be a better shooter and Gun Handler?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    2017 went by so very fast. Have been thinking about 2018 and all that will be going on during the year. Time will be in shorter supply than ever. I want to improve. So here are a few plans:

1) 5 -10 dry fire draws from concealment everyday. Actually started three days ago.
    2) Going to take the Home Defense shotgun to the range every three months for some live work.
    3) Bringing John Murphy to Riley in March for two intensive days advanced pistol training.
    4) Going to take the AR-15 to the range once every three months for some live fire work.
    5) Going to make myself familiar with the AK-47 platform.
    6) Going to dry fire regularly starting in January with comp guns. Both USPSA and Steel Challenge
    7) Attend the Range Master Tactical Conference in March.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    1) Dry fire & draw from concealed.
    2) Quit impulse buying, focus on reloading & platform similarities.
    3) Try IDPA match
    4) Practice more at range on accuracy from draw, moving, & target acquisition.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    1) Continue working dry fire daily with the Steve Anderson program
    2) Take a class with Gabe White next month.
    3) Take a red dot pistol class with Scott Jedlinski in February.
    4) Attend Rangemaster Tactical Conference in March.
    5) Continue to train for and compete in USPSA matches in 2018 with the goal of moving from B to A.
    6) Depending on how much I teach, add Steel Challenge to the mix.
    7) Continue to help with and compete in my clubs 2 gun matches.
    8) Finish reading Lanny Bassham's With Winning in Mind.

Probably forgetting something, but it may come to me.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    On occasions when I do practice, I'm going to continue working on getting the first double-action shot fired more quickly. I shot the SAO gun at Wildcat this month and the time from draw to first shot is a lot quicker (I need to bencmark myself on a timer). It has improved though.

Topshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 16, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Considering I just picked up my pistols again for nearly the first time in nearly 20 years, anything I do will bring improvement. :)
    Get to the range (outdoor) at least once a month during winter. Several times during warmer months.
    Dry fire every week
    Transition to 9mm that I (and my wife) can control better.
    Not going to worry much about carry issues until I get my proficiency in line.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    This year I have real plans to get some real training.
    also, I hopefully will have a place i can go burn up ammo without any complaints.

What I need to do most is practice my draw and dry fire.
    and just get out and shoot in a manner that helps my body learn, Less mag dumps more think, breath, fire

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    This is what I'm working on.

Xyyq9x5.jpg

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    Dry firing with laser lyte weekly.
    Moved to P227 from 1911 and striker fired pistols. (I am more accurate with the full size Sig.)
    Working on 100% carry of full size.
    Get in more range time.
    Moved to AR and dropped shotgun use. (will be practicing scenarios in house with AR monthly)
    Keep more mags loaded and available. (at 20+ now, majority are 30 rounds)

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I seriously need to just get to the range. There has been no time.

There never is. It has to be a priority, if you want it to. I must point out something you already know, it can get you in trouble. Saturday we had a 50th Anniversary party for my parents. I was at the range in the morning, my wife was at home preparing. I have done this to her so many times she didn't even get mad. I am not proud of myself for that, just stating facts.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Every two weeks range sessions rotating my Glocks and the wife's S&W Shield. Just like last year and the year before, and the year before etc,etc...........

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Specific goals and plans will make for actual gains. Try not to just say, "I am going to shoot more", or "I am going to dry fire". Figure out what you want to do, then figure out what you need to do to accomplish that. Write it down, then proceed. Something like," I will dry fire 6 times a week, 3 days I will draw to a sight picture for 50 reps and 3 days I will do reloads and transitions for 50 reps". Time yourself and try to consistently reduce the PAR time. When you go to the range for live fire, have a plan, a real plan with drills and amount of ammo you can spend. Keep a log book. Pick some drills or tests you want to use as markers to chart your improvements. Resist plinking, or just throwing useless unaccounted for rounds downrange.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Try to learn what I can from Coach.. I figure that will occupy me until I'm too infirm to manipulate:fogey: a pistol.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member,[/FONT] Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard"
    Unnamed Navy Seal

“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public”
    Aron Bright
    [/FONT]

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    This is what I'm working on.

Xyyq9x5.jpg

I think that is a good overarching principle, and I think you will pull it off. However most people who carry a gun are pretty casual about it and won't even do the work to become proficient in marksmanship and gunhandling let alone multi-disciplinarians. I have had a lot of people tell me they carry a gun because they can't (physical limitations) or won't (time or money investment) be engaged in a physical fight. Now if that is specifically referring to mindset-then no argument here.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I think that is a good overarching principle, and I think you will pull it off. However most people who carry a gun are pretty casual about it and won't even do the work to become proficient in marksmanship and gunhandling let alone multi-disciplinarians. I have had a lot of people tell me they carry a gun because they can't (physical limitations) or won't (time or money investment) be engaged in a physical fight. Now if that is specifically referring to mindset-then no argument here.

What if the other person makes the fight physical? Sometimes we don't get to choose. It takes two to tango, but sometimes your partner wants to waltz.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    What if the other person makes the fight physical? Sometimes we don't get to choose. It takes two to tango, but sometimes your partner wants to waltz.

You know I agree with you, but that viewpoint is very small. We can't convince people to train with their guns, which is easy and fun. How do we get them to do H2H? Don't forget, there comes a point in everyone's life where the physical stuff is just not going to be doable.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    You know I agree with you, but that viewpoint is very small. We can't convince people to train with their guns, which is easy and fun. How do we get them to do H2H? Don't forget, there comes a point in everyone's life where the physical stuff is just not going to be doable.

Certainly. We all have limitations. But pretending the gun is an instant and fool-proof solution to the problem is maybe not idicative of the best mental approach.
    (I know you agree.)

Of course, many situations look like Tom Given's Lessons From The Street. Gun play at 4 yards, first hits win. Sometimes though, they look like a Southnarc sucker punch that degrades in to a tangle. Pretending we get to pick which is the problem.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'd like to take a carbine course this year. Otherwise, same-same. Dry fire routine (starting over on Stoeger's book on Jan 1), live fire 3-4x a month.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom