• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    We know what we’d do in a traffic accident. Depending on the severity, call 911 and get people out of danger. Call the insurance company and move the vehicles off the principal roadway.

Read the comments regarding using a tourniquet.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/worst-case-scenario-2/

Tourniquet use and application standards still vary. A significant number of medical professionals discourage use of tourniquets for a variety of reasons, but in some cases it's because they are reflecting their own training. Some of them could benefit greatly by expanding their knowledge base, much in the way that some insular military and police organizations refuse to receive training from any perceived outsiders.

One example to raise is the success of surgeries that occur in "bloodless fields." In those procedures, blood flow is constricted at least as much as you would with a tourniquet in the field and usually for much longer than 15 minutes. There does exist a significant body of anecdotal evidence that tourniquets applied for several hours (when necessary) do more good than harm.

In addition, there remains difference in opinion on how tight they should be. Some advocate tighten until the flow stops, some until you can't feel the pulse, and some suggest tighten just enough to slow so that you can get direct pressure to work. There are sound logical foundations for each, and I believe that the respective merits depend on the situation.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Tourniquet use and application standards still vary. A significant number of medical professionals discourage use of tourniquets for a variety of reasons, but in some cases it's because they are reflecting their own training. Some of them could benefit greatly by expanding their knowledge base, much in the way that some insular military and police organizations refuse to receive training from any perceived outsiders.

One example to raise is the success of surgeries that occur in "bloodless fields." In those procedures, blood flow is constricted at least as much as you would with a tourniquet in the field and usually for much longer than 15 minutes. There does exist a significant body of anecdotal evidence that tourniquets applied for several hours (when necessary) do more good than harm.

In addition, there remains difference in opinion on how tight they should be. Some advocate tighten until the flow stops, some until you can't feel the pulse, and some suggest tighten just enough to slow so that you can get direct pressure to work. There are sound logical foundations for each, and I believe that the respective merits depend on the situation.

And when you're applying it to yourself or someone you care about, I bet the relatively nuanced differences between those three options seems less important when you go from dying in two minutes to living long enough to get in the ambulance. I assume I'll tighten until the blood flow slows enough that I think I'll survive. I doubt I'll check my pulse at the extremely. I'll have other things on my mind, like not dying.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    And when you're applying it to yourself or someone you care about, I bet the relatively nuanced differences between those three options seems less important when you go from dying in two minutes to living long enough to get in the ambulance. I assume I'll tighten until the blood flow slows enough that I think I'll survive. I doubt I'll check my pulse at the extremely. I'll have other things on my mind, like not dying.

Amen!

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Never apply a tourniquet to the neck for a head wound

If there is severe bleeding to the head and cannot be stopped by direct pressure it is OK to use a tourniquet if you first insert a nasopharengial airway so that you do not cut off the air supply.

Can someone tell me how to turn that grape colored?

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    Aside from the humor in this. It did bring up a good question. How many carry a tourniquet in range bags.? I don’t, but I will set up a quick kit just for this and shove in my range bag.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Aside from the humor in this. It did bring up a good question. How many carry a tourniquet in range bags.? I don’t, but I will set up a quick kit just for this and shove in my range bag.

I do of course, but I also teach classes and help run matches at our club so there is a little extra responsibility there. It is a good idea for anyone to have one where they can easily access it and have the training/ability to use it in a crisis. The first time to figure out how to use it isn't when you need to use it for real.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    That thread is about carrying. Who does, who does and who has decided to or at least look into it.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I know how they are used (fire/medic) I was just curious to see if people carried such kits for the range. I am just amazed I had never thought of this before.

If you mean me, I didn't mean you specifically just us in general. Speaking for myself, I have the trauma medicine training, but since I don't work in a profession where I use it often, I am woefully under practiced.

Latewatch

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Henryville, IN

A while back at a match, someone needed a bandaid for a cut. Their were probably 6-8 people on the squad that had tourniquets and/or quick clot in their range bags (myself included) but I was the only one that also had a bandaid...

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    My EDC bag has everything from aspirin and band aids to tourniquets and QC.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I carry band aids in my range bag. But at a match the range bag is in the truck. I also keep a sealed trauma kit in the range bag.

I am trying to always keep a basic trauma kit on my person. Like carrying a gun this requires some thought. 1) it needs to be easy to use. I have little formal medical training, but more importantly the people around me aren’t EMTs either. 2) it has to be compact and lightweight or you won’t carry it. 3) it has to be affordable. If kits are cost effective we can just have them everywhere. So far I have been able to carry my little kits everyday, I have a couple folded different ways depending on which pocket/pants and to try out some different configurations. I am thinking INGO kits here in two sizes. The VERT for back pocket and the Rhino for backpacks, vests and rangebags. :D

My kit has a Swat-T, Phokus bandage (same size as hemostatic guaze), strip of duct tape, nitrile gloves, Laerdal CPR face shield in a heavy plastic bag. Not much but it is the size of a wallet and costs about $20-$25

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

I don't carry a tourniquet in a range bag. It's always in my pocket. I have another in an outside pouch on my backpack I take everywhere.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    A while back at a match, someone needed a bandaid for a cut. Their were probably 6-8 people on the squad that had tourniquets and/or quick clot in their range bags (myself included) but I was the only one that also had a bandaid...

AWESOME!

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan

Really? I have yet to find a trauma doctor here in Indy to say anything negative about them. Many taught our 1700 officers about them when they were issued their gunshot trauma kits. We've had members of our SWAT team use them on themselves after being shot. We've used them on many citizens in the field with great success.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Really? I have yet to find a trauma doctor here in Indy to say anything negative about them. Many taught our 1700 officers about them when they were issued their gunshot trauma kits. We've had members of our SWAT team use them on themselves after being shot. We've used them on many citizens in the field with great success.

Believe it or not, there are still a lot who are behind the times with TQ usage. I think it definitely seems to be getting better, but just a quick perusal of the comments in the article shows acceptance and especially agreements on methods is far from universal.

Top Bottom