• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    For the last year I have been doing dry fire, practicing my draw with all of my Holsters, wearing different things. I have taken gun safety courses, HCP class but now I would like to spend a little of my budget on real time training, how do vet the experts? What type of training would you consider?

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Middle Tennessee, I would like be able to learn more about recognizing a threat, perhaps point shooting, and improving pistol skills under pressure.

I recommend getting Point shooting off you list of goals. Use the sights all the time. Learn how to use them faster. There is a thread on here about Rangemaster Open enrollment classes. Get in a Defensive Pistol class, Dynamic marksmanship class with Tom Givens when he is in your region, or another Rangemaster Certified Instructor for developing the other skills on your list.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    when I first started going to classes I took it all for the most part. I took basic handgun classes, basic rifle classes, and even competition shooting classes. That's where I would start and then work your way up from there.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    If you don't have a more local gun owners/shooter forum to follow, I'd start looking into local shooting sport competitions. Fellow competitors and range officers will walk you through every step of safely shooting competitively.

The shooting sports are always looking to increase their numbers. While shooting sports may not be exactly what you are looking for, you will be exposed to and learn further gun handling skills. All the while, you will be rubbing elbows with folks who will likely know of local trainers that might be of interest to you.

jkdbjj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2015
    rural
    WCD...my suggestion is you view learning to use a gun for self defense or competition no different than you would look at training in any other martial art. If you wanted to become a good boxer, or grappler, or mma competitor, you would be best served by finding a high quality gym within your driving range, and then train there several times a week (at least). As you got better you might find another gym that better fit your advanced skill level, etc.

Training with a gun (in my opinion) is not something best done by taking a class or two or ten. Instead, it is finding a high level instructor that you enjoy being around, who teaches what you want to learn (pistol, rifle, 3-gun, whatever) and then setting up a training program with that instructor. Maybe train with him once or twice a month, or every couple months, but have him write out a specific training program for you to do when you are not on the range with him---become a student of an instructor.

I don't know where Wilson County, Tenn., is exactly, but within 3-4 hours of there Google shows you can reach Atlanta, or Eastaboga Alabama? Frank Proctor is in Eastaboga, Alabama, and he has his own range. Maybe call him, check out his range, see if he is willing to instruct you for a year at a price you can handle? Atlanta area will have some great shooters, I think Dave Sevigny is there? Probably many others that are great and might be willing to help you in this long-term training.

Good luck!

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I forgot they had a location in TN.

Hosted by PRI. It’s on the link. PRI offers non-GunSite courses as well. Be worth a look.

RangeMaster used to be located in Memphis. My bet is Tom Givens still has some connections In Tennessee.

Reid Hendricks and Valor Ridge is in Tennessee

Jim Higganbotham and the American Institute of Marksmanship is located near Cave City, KY.

oh and Yeager. I have never met Yeager though. I have met all the others listed above.

Randy Harris

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    WCD, I'm located in Chattanooga TN. I teach both as a staff instructor for Suarez International (https://suarezinternational.com/randy-harris/) and offer classes on my own and offer private lessons. There are reviews here on INGO of classes I have taught you would just have to use the search function. Feel free to PM me here if there is anything I can help you with.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    WCD, I'm located in Chattanooga. I teach both as a staff instructor for Suarez International (https://suarezinternational.com/randy-harris/) and offer classes on my own and offer private lessons. There are reviews here on INGO of classes I have taught you would just have to use the search function. Feel free to PM me here if there is anything I can help you with.

:yesway::yesway::yesway:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Randy Cain has a Tactical Handgun 101 class scheduled for Franklin, Tennessee 13-15 APR 2018.

CUMBERLAND TACTICS

I have taken a class with Randy Cain as well. He would be a great choice.

OP, Randy Harris could definitely teach you everything you mentioned in your earlier post, and then some. I would recommend him without reservation.

Never met Randy Harris but I trust Mike’s opinion without question. That endorsement alone puts him high on my list. I know he makes it up to Charlestown, IN on occasion. Looks like a lot of good stuff in Tennessee

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I have taken a class with Randy Cain as well. He would be a great choice.

Cool! Where did you have that opportunity?

If Louis Awerbuck had proteges, he is certainly one of them.

Never met Randy Harris but I trust Mike’s opinion without question. That endorsement alone puts him high on my list. I know he makes it up to Charlestown, IN on occasion. Looks like a lot of good stuff in Tennessee

I attended a seminar that Randy did at the Rangemaster conference years ago. Based on his presentation, I would gladly train with him (but I'd subcontract the audio-visual gear!)

Top Bottom