Training / Certs / Classes for Instructors?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    I am an Illinois LEO (transplant from NWI), and am the lead firearms instructor for my agency. I enjoy teaching. However, there is only so much I can do with my agency.

I would like to branch out and attempt instructing on my own. However, I have no clue where to start. I am looking for an NRA pistol instructor course close to me but, after that I have no idea what credentials people look for in the private sector.

Do any of you have any experience doing what I would like to or suggestions on what certificates I should try and get?

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    There are few certificates for private sector firearms training. NRA and USCCA have programs. Rangemaster has a course that's probably better than those. There are a couple other classes out there. Tactical Response has one.

Most people wouldn't recognize any of them but the NRA, and sone would argue that it has the least value from a course content standpoint as far as defense goes. Depending on your goals, a cert may not be necessary. Continued development as an I structure is.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I am an Illinois LEO (transplant from NWI), and am the lead firearms instructor for my agency. I enjoy teaching. However, there is only so much I can do with my agency.

I would like to branch out and attempt instructing on my own. However, I have no clue where to start. I am looking for an NRA pistol instructor course close to me but, after that I have no idea what credentials people look for in the private sector.

Do any of you have any experience doing what I would like to or suggestions on what certificates I should try and get?

To add to what the others said, regardless of what instructor certifications you pursue, get as much firearms training outside of your department and police circles as you can.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    I have requested the department send me to basic SWAT school and the FBI Firearms Instructor Program.

I have taken levels 1 through 3 of the Strike Tactical CQB courses. I try and take a little from everywhere I can.

I would love to get some quality training outside of the LE scope. IMHO, LE training lacks in the off-duty aspect. I understand departments want to train for on duty but, I'm on duty less than 1/3rd of the time.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I have requested the department send me to basic SWAT school and the FBI Firearms Instructor Program.

I have taken levels 1 through 3 of the Strike Tactical CQB courses. I try and take a little from everywhere I can.

I would love to get some quality training outside of the LE scope. IMHO, LE training lacks in the off-duty aspect. I understand departments want to train for on duty but, I'm on duty less than 1/3rd of the time.

I remember thinking that same thing. We were required to carry off duty, and even got a little extra in the contract for doing so. However, we NEVER dealt with training any of the differences between the two. I used to stick a Browning hi power in my waist (no holster) and call it good. After that I moved to a shoulder rig (man was Miami Vice cool), never realizing the problems with either of those methods until later. That doesn't even start to cover the differences in tactics.

The Rangemaster program would definitely be one to check out. Like Jackson said though, the most recognized is the NRA. IMHO it is next to worthless other than the recognition you get from it. Not to say I don't know some good NRA certified instructors, there are some here, but it is my opinion they are good in spite of their NRA card, not because of it.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

You're thinking in the right direction. It's also a reality that law enforcement agencies and military can become insular and develop a "we didn't invent that, so it's no good" mentality. In reality, the cutting edge of defensive pistol use has an probably always will be in the private citizen community.

In addition to learning about things you may not have considered, you will also get a first hand experience about how non-LEOs are taught and how they learn. Training people in the same uniform who are required to be present and must learn to do everything exactly the same way bears little resemblance to teaching people who are present because they want to be there.

I recommend taking the first level defensive pistol course from as many people as you can, both big names and well as local people who have good recommendations from their peers.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    There are plenty of good sources for training here on InGo. Rhino's suggestion rings true. I make it a point to take someone's "101" class at least every other year.

jkdbjj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2015
    rural
    I am not a firearms instructor, and have no desire to be one. So, I can't help you on the road of "do what I did".

Looking at the question through (my) student eyes? If I wanted to become a great firearms instructor? I would become a long-term student of great shooters...and I would expect it to take many years. In today's world you probably need certificates signed by someone who has certificates signed by someone else to get certain jobs training agencies, security forces, etc. But I am sure the certificate line is long...? So, I would find a world-class teacher that I could get along with, that would take me on as a long-term student, and I would become really, really, really good with a gun. While working on that I would look into some night classes to learn to communicate effectively...and I would be a sponge on learning all things social media/marketing related.

Good luck!

Randy Harris

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Cedartop and I discuss this from time to time and it gets discussed here from time to time...and in fact I'll embarrass the crap out of him and use him as an example...

Take a look at his training resume some time.... he's not just a guy who "likes to shoot" , took an NRA basic pistol instructor class, read some gun forums, got an instagram account and hung out a shingle and started teaching... . He has spent huge amounts of time, effort, blood and treasure continually training with some of the best in the business. He has hundreds of hours of professional training under his belt in multiple disciplines including one area a lot of instructors neglect.... HOW TO TEACH. Not only that, but he took up shooting competitively ( USPSA ) and is working his way up the classification ranks in that. He is an example I'd point to for any young (or even old) guys looking to get into teaching. How do you get to Carnegie Hall?....Practice.....

Now does it take a world champion shooter or SEAL TEAM 6 veteran to teach a NRA basic class or Handgun Carry Permit (what we call it in TN ) class? Of course not...just like graduate assistants teach many "101" level college courses.....but anything above the basic "safety and marksmanship classes" really needs someone with ideally some level of experience and if not then someone with a firm grasp of the material and an understanding of who is who, how we got to where we are, understand the context where the tactics and techniques they teach are appropriate (not just parroting what they heard at the gun show) , ideally be technically proficient (meaning they are gonna out shoot anyone that comes to their class short of people who already shoot for a living), and be well rounded and multi disciplined enough to have at least a clue of how it all fits together.....pretty simple huh? Sounds like it might take 10 years? To do it right? Yep..... Now that is assuming starting from ground zero. And are there ways to "skip ahead" and develop faster? Sure... sometimes. It just involves even MORE work.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    Thank you all for taking the time to give me some solid advice. I have some serious research to do on all of the training links you recommended.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    For me, certifications are nearly worthless. Some more than others, mind you, but they aren't what I look for in an instructor.

1) Have they done it? I'm not taking a fighting class from someone who's never fought any more than I'd take a competition class from someone who has never competed.
    2) Do they have a good reputation with other instructors or SMEs that I value the opinion of?
    3) What do previous students who perform at a high level and have enough experience to recognize good vs mediocre think of the instructor?
    4) Does the instructor stay in their lane? Do they teach in the area they are an expert and not wander into areas they really don't know anything about but feel they should.

That's really it. I don't know (or care) if Craig Douglas holds any certifications but his ECQC checked those four boxes with ease and I thought it was a great class. I've also taken classes that checked the first three but fell apart on the 4th. A good example of that was a fundamentals class were the fundamentals portion was excellent, but the so called "counter ambush" drill was absolute BS that was both unrealistic and tactically unsound.

Top Bottom