• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stoneytoney

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 17, 2014
    indy
    I went to this class yesterday to get another opinion on the way I shoot. It was cheap, convenient, and something to do on my birthday. There was me and a woman there, so it was really hands on with the instructor. I pretty much knew the basics (grip, stance, sight alignment), but I also picked up a couple of BIG things.

1. I learned to control my breathing on pistol shooting too. When I think of controlling my breathing I just think of precision rifle shooting at 300+ yds. The technique that was taught to me, was to let my shot off at the end of my CONTROLLED breath. Inhale, exhale, then shoot.

2. I'm left eye;right hand dominant. I've always went to the range practicing shifting my head a little to compensate for this. I really didn't like the idea of moving my gun to my eye. The instructor told me when we got out to the range to use my left hand. I was skeptical at first, because I've read and seen (avid YouTube watcher) where this was a bad way to teach a student. If he/she is comfortable with gripping their firearm with their right hand, then teach them the other 2 ways (moving your head, or moving your gun). But I went in there with a open mind AND SHOT MY BEST GROUPS EVER!

I think the combination of the breathing and shooting left handed helped out. I used/rented a Glock 17, and ALL SHOTS were center mass (X, and 9 ring) I do have a M&P 2.0, but I didn't want to bring it because I lost the case, and don't have a holster yet. Have an XD40, but I'm pretty sure we wasn't going to be shooting 40 s&w the first go round. AND G23 is on the FedEx truck to my FFL:rockwoot:(never thought choosing a CCW would be this hard!)

Side note: I picked up the CZ P10c and fell in love! Next firearm purchase for sure!

I will still be practicing with both hands, but for this whole session I shot 50rds left handed, and I'm very proud of what I did. $60 well spent

stoneytoney

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 17, 2014
    indy
    To be honest he did explain his credentials, but I don’t think military popped up. Is that their method of training? making people shoot left handed if they’re left eye dominant). I looked on their site before hand and there wasn’t any military instructors listed

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Is shooting groups your goal? I have seen plenty of military guys use that technique.

Last Friday night I had ten women in a Developmental class that had very little shooting experience collectively. Using .22 pistols with pretty awful triggers. They each shot 9 rounds WHO. There was not a single miss in those 90 shots. My point being is that shooting left handed is not some Ninja trick. If you align the sights and press the trigger straight to the rear and only do the on the shot. You get a hit. Many beginners get great results left handed and it is because they focus more on what they are doing.

How is your draw, reload, Malfunction reduction left handed?

jkdbjj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2015
    rural
    I went to this class yesterday to get another opinion on the way I shoot. It was cheap, convenient, and something to do on my birthday. There was me and a woman there, so it was really hands on with the instructor. I pretty much knew the basics (grip, stance, sight alignment), but I also picked up a couple of BIG things.

1. I learned to control my breathing on pistol shooting too. When I think of controlling my breathing I just think of precision rifle shooting at 300+ yds. The technique that was taught to me, was to let my shot off at the end of my CONTROLLED breath. Inhale, exhale, then shoot.

2. I'm left eye;right hand dominant. I've always went to the range practicing shifting my head a little to compensate for this. I really didn't like the idea of moving my gun to my eye. The instructor told me when we got out to the range to use my left hand. I was skeptical at first, because I've read and seen (avid YouTube watcher) where this was a bad way to teach a student. If he/she is comfortable with gripping their firearm with their right hand, then teach them the other 2 ways (moving your head, or moving your gun). But I went in there with a open mind AND SHOT MY BEST GROUPS EVER!

I think the combination of the breathing and shooting left handed helped out. I used/rented a Glock 17, and ALL SHOTS were center mass (X, and 9 ring) I do have a M&P 2.0, but I didn't want to bring it because I lost the case, and don't have a holster yet. Have an XD40, but I'm pretty sure we wasn't going to be shooting 40 s&w the first go round. AND G23 is on the FedEx truck to my FFL:rockwoot:(never thought choosing a CCW would be this hard!)

Side note: I picked up the CZ P10c and fell in love! Next firearm purchase for sure!

I will still be practicing with both hands, but for this whole session I shot 50rds left handed, and I'm very proud of what I did. $60 well spent

Consider it a positive start and build on it, StoneyToney!! If you were impressed with the instructor maybe see about going back a couple times for short lessons and some things to train at home. Good luck.

stoneytoney

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 17, 2014
    indy
    Is shooting groups your goal? I have seen plenty of military guys use that technique.

Last Friday night I had ten women in a Developmental class that had very little shooting experience collectively. Using .22 pistols with pretty awful triggers. They each shot 9 rounds WHO. There was not a single miss in those 90 shots. My point being is that shooting left handed is not some Ninja trick. If you align the sights and press the trigger straight to the rear and only do the on the shot. You get a hit. Many beginners get great results left handed and it is because they focus more on what they are doing.

How is your draw, reload, Malfunction reduction left handed?

I'm more confident drawing with my right hand from behind my right hip blade. I have also received good groups from my right hand, but I was just surprised I did so well with my left hand since I barely practice at home or at the range. I don't plan on switching my carry style or anything, just feels like a plus in training.

I'm always looking at my gun and gear as a self defense stand point. So military accuracy is alright with me. What I practice, and want to get out of training is controlled mechanics under stress and just getting shots on my target any given moment or position if that what it takes. That's why I'm pleased with myself on how well I did with my left hand. I won't feel as "handicapped" if it does come down to me taking a shot with my left.
    Are you teaching the Gun Handling 101 class March 5th? Hopefully I'll be able to sign up for that onebefore you run out of spots.

Last edited:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I'm more confident drawing with my right hand from behind my right hip blade. I have also received good groups from my right hand, but I was just surprised I did so well with my left hand since I barely practice at home or at the range. I don't plan on switching my carry style or anything, just feels like a plus in training.

I'm always looking at my gun and gear as a self defense stand point. So military accuracy is alright with me. What I practice, and want to get out of training is controlled mechanics under stress and just getting shots on my target any given moment or position if that what it takes. That's why I'm pleased with myself on how well I did with my left hand. I won't feel as "handicapped" if it does come down to me taking a shot with my left.
    Are you teaching the Gun Handling 101 class March 5th? Hopefully I'll be able to sign up for that onebefore you run out of spots.

It sounds like you took the training just as you should have. A confidence building session.
    I am teaching the March class. I am the only one that teaches that class. Would love to have you in it.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I have heard that the Rogers Shooting School (Bill Rogers, pretty big name in pure shooting instruction) pushes students to use the same hand as their dominant eye.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I guess I should switch over and start shooting left handed. That is probably what has held me back all these years. Should I use a different eye when shooting WHO?

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I have heard that the Rogers Shooting School (Bill Rogers, pretty big name in pure shooting instruction) pushes students to use the same hand as their dominant eye.

You are correct, however it is my understanding that he only does this in beginners classes. If you already have devoted significant time to shooting cross dominant, such as people who would be in his intermediate/advanced class, he doesn't try to change you.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I just look at the front sight without much thought given to which eye is being used. Some circumstances dictate a can't of the pistol, turn of the head, or a squint of the eye to facilitate focus. Focus on the front sight is the goal. Everything else is a technique to facilitate that. Pick one that works and it should be okay. Maybe I'm oversimplifying, but that's been my approach.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Which eye do you use when doing the majority of your shooting? Do you have two hands on the gun for most of that shooting? Shooting with one hand on the gun is a disadvantage compared to two hands on the gun. Changing stance, or eye, or cant of the gun are things that should only be done if there is a need or purpose. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Any change in technique takes time. It might hold down performance and score in competition, on the street it might be the difference between winning and losing and that is significant. My 2 cents.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I shoot with right eye and right hand (one or two) as a standard. Circumstances that might require adjustment are shooting out of odd positions. Shooting left handed I use the right eye and push the gun over in front of the right eye and/or turn my head a little.

The more consistent you can be across circumstances, the better off you will be. I agree with that. So finding a method that requires minimum adjustment is optimal.

I would have to close my right eye and apply considerable concentration to switch eyes when switching hands with a pistol.

stoneytoney

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 17, 2014
    indy
    Different point of views across instructors kind of sucks. One month you're learning and getting taught this way. Take another class, and here's a whole new view and technique. If I had my choice of instructor it would definitely be an instructor with military/real world background. Law enforcement only if he or she has at least one confrontation with using their weapon, some officers go their entire career without using their weapon. I'm responsible in looking into instructors backgrounds more before paying out cash also.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Different point of views across instructors kind of sucks. One month you're learning and getting taught this way. Take another class, and here's a whole new view and technique. If I had my choice of instructor it would definitely be an instructor with military/real world background. Law enforcement only if he or she has at least one confrontation with using their weapon, the majority of officers go their entire career without using their weapon. I'm responsible in looking into instructors backgrounds more before paying out cash also.

So much here. We have discussed most of it many times. Its your money you make your choices. It really depends what you want to learn. In basic training only one of my Drill Sergeants had any combat experience. I never thought to doubt them. It is unknown to me if any of my Police Academy Instructors had been in any gunfights, but I doubt it. It didn't matter. Once on the road, my FTO's did have some of that experience, at that time it was a good thing. I have taken classes from Delta Force combat veterans, LE who have and have not been involved in gunfights, and regular people who just know a lot about what they are teaching. I didn't get any more valuable information from some over others. I have been to tactical conferences where a lot of BTDT people were teaching, they almost never agreed with each other on details. You could go from one seminar to another and get two totally different philosophies.

Top Bottom