RSOs view of the world.. Training or the lack of it :)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    At this point I have about 150 hours of RSO time under my belt. I have seen so many inept people with firearms I thought I would start sharing what I see with INGO. Corporate policy doesn't allow me to share my workplace but many of you know where I RSO. If you see something silly or stupid where you shoot please feel free to share..If possible I'll post some pics because some of the stories I have will be difficult to sell without pics. First installment...
    Guy shooting a small 38 revolver. Obvious that he was a new shooter. I saw him struggling with the revolver and stepped in to make sure he wasn't doing something that might result in bloodshed. He had 4 empty cases out and was struggling to remove the 5th one with his fingernail. After observing him for maybe 30 seconds I reached over his shoulder and pushed the ejector rod to eject the case. He thanked me profusely saying he had no idea it worked that way. :facepalm:
    Guy in his sixties teaching what may have been his grand daughter to shoot a pistol. Hearing 7 or 8 rapid shots I drifted down to slow him down a little. Target was at 5 yards and his comment was "Look, there is one in the X and I wasn't even trying" :rolleyes: I just considered it my laugh of the day and walked away.
    I have also figured out why people don't generally think they need training. I'll explain it in the next post.
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT]
    “Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public”

[FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Here we go again, another thread just like the open carry versus concealed or the Glock versus 1911 :rolleyes:

Last edited:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Other than the usual people that can't read simple signs I did overhear a couple of gems. "If you have a license to carry you can carry an AK pistol". Technically true but IMHO not a grand idea. Also "I wasn't aiming for it but I'll take it" gave me a laugh. Husband training his wife, 6 shots out of an LCP at 3-4 yards, 1 shot hit the paper (23X35").
    Translated loosely the reason people don't believe they need training is simple. They believe they have already been trained by an expert. "Uncle Fred", owned guns for 50 years and has shot his pistol 10 times brings several family members in the range and trains them all in one hour. With so much experience, what other knowledge could you possibly acquire after training with a relative with 50 years experience? Probably over simplified but generally what the problem appears to be.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT]
    “Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public”

[FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Took a marine friend out one time, who fired a 12 gauge in front of his feet when he pumped it. Another marine friend couldn’t figure out why the 1911s hammer was stuck back. We let him stew on that a while before showing the thumb safety... don’t seem to have that problem with army friends...

:popcorn:

Anima mundi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Southport
    The real gems are the indignantly dangerous people.

I remember a woman on the range once who was shooting a J-frame and was locking her wrists out so it was pointing up and hitting the ceiling baffles at the 15 yard line with stunning consistency. I was nice enough to show her what she was doing wrong two times in the space of 15 minutes and every time she would regress back to shooting the ceiling within fifteen rounds. The third time it started happening I straight-up told her "You need to set the gun down for a bit to contemplate what you're doing wrong because this is getting unsafe even by my loose standards." She immediately got petulant and stormed off the range to tell the manager that I had kicked her out, and very unjustly at that, and that she had no idea why she was being treated this way. Neurotic mess of an individual.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Here we go again, another thread just like the open carry versus concealed or the Glock versus 1911 :rolleyes:

Geez man......relax. The OP discussed this with me before he opened it. I will be involved so any silliness will not be appreciated. This could be entertaining and enlightening.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    But, but, but...

...ah grew up wit guns...

courtesy-lebanontimes.com_.jpg

indyartisan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    I had just completed a course of fire at Friday Night Steel. I dropped the mag and showed empty. BWFrame who was taking duty as RO pulled my shirt tail out of the way as I put the Glock back in the holster to keep it from fouling the trigger. Lesson learned the easy way!

That is not my shoe in BWFrames pic.
    Thak you Sir!

Last edited:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ... Translated loosely the reason people don't believe they need training is simple. They believe they have already been trained by an expert. "Uncle Fred", owned guns for 50 years ...[FONT=&amp][/FONT]

This and they think they learned all they need to know from TV and the movies.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Again today, guy brings 3 people in with him and proceeds to give them all the basics they need to be pros. Of course it's very noisy but not a problem for a real operator. Training firearms consisted of an AK with a drum mag, 1911, M&P and a 22 semi auto of some sort. I'm sure they all were confident that they were trained by a professional. Anyone owning an AK with a drum mag has to be a pro, right? I'm sure at least 90% of the shooters in the range have had no training and their lack of gun handling skill is Scary.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Last night I walked into the range and there was an AK on the back wall with no chamber flag, but a bi-pod on it. The gun was on the bi-pod pointed right and the door head high. I found the guy it belonged to an had him move it. He agreed that it was not a good situation. Cannot believe Dr. Watson let him put it there in the first place.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    And no this was not staged. Village idiot proved rounds in the mag backwards will partially chamber. Some people would Tear up anvil with a sponge if left alone for 5 minutes.
    _20180312_000634.JPG

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Not on the range.

Guy sees hooligans engaged in hooligan activity down the street.
    Hooligans complete hooligan activity and run through guy's yard as they escape.
    Guy fires a couple rounds into the dirt after they run off.

Why? He's not sure. To make sure they didn't come back. Or turn around and charge him. Or...finally, because he's never been in that situation and didn't know what to do. So he did something without planning, and without rational thought.

Basically he reverted to monkey brain (lizard/monkey/human brain analogy) and made noise to defend his territory. He had no fear for his life, or even his property. His territory had been invaded and making loud noises at the intruders after they fled made him feel better.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I will also add whenever someone feels compelled to "inform me" to hey they have this as they we're Military or are dressed in 511's or Like an Operator but are not working LE or etc is a dead giveaway to unsafe acts about to happen.

Just an observation I've noticed

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Not on the range.

Guy sees hooligans engaged in hooligan activity down the street.
    Hooligans complete hooligan activity and run through guy's yard as they escape.
    Guy fires a couple rounds into the dirt after they run off.

Why? He's not sure. To make sure they didn't come back. Or turn around and charge him. Or...finally, because he's never been in that situation and didn't know what to do. So he did something without planning, and without rational thought.

Basically he reverted to monkey brain (lizard/monkey/human brain analogy) and made noise to defend his territory. He had no fear for his life, or even his property. His territory had been invaded and making loud noises at the intruders after they fled made him feel better.

giphy.gif

Top Bottom