Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

User Info Menu

RSOs view of the world.. Training or the lack of it :)

At this point I have about 150 hours of RSO time under my belt. I have seen so many inept people with firearms I thought I would start sharing what I see with INGO. Corporate policy doesn't allow me to share my workplace but many of you know where I RSO. If you see something silly or stupid where you shoot please feel free to share..If possible I'll post some pics because some of the stories I have will be difficult to sell without pics. First installment...
    Guy shooting a small 38 revolver. Obvious that he was a new shooter. I saw him struggling with the revolver and stepped in to make sure he wasn't doing something that might result in bloodshed. He had 4 empty cases out and was struggling to remove the 5th one with his fingernail. After observing him for maybe 30 seconds I reached over his shoulder and pushed the ejector rod to eject the case. He thanked me profusely saying he had no idea it worked that way.
    Guy in his sixties teaching what may have been his grand daughter to shoot a pistol. Hearing 7 or 8 rapid shots I drifted down to slow him down a little. Target was at 5 yards and his comment was "Look, there is one in the X and I wasn't even trying" I just considered it my laugh of the day and walked away.
    I have also figured out why people don't generally think they need training. I'll explain it in the next post.
    NRA Life Member / Basic Pistol instructor / RSO

"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard"
    Unnamed Navy Seal
    “Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public”

Aron Bright

Any man can make mistakes but only and idiot persists in his error.. Cicero 200 BC

User Info Menu

Sub’d.

This should be entertaining.
    If you’re free you’ll never see the walls.

Quote Originally Posted by Tactically Fat View Post
    Listen to Rhino, Coach, NHT3, and as much as I hate to say it, Chezuki. :-)

User Info Menu

Dis gun be gun!

Sharpshooter

User Info Menu

in for the fun...we may even learn a thing or two.

User Info Menu

Here we go again, another thread just like the open carry versus concealed or the Glock versus 1911
    Last edited by lonehoosier; 03-02-2018 at 18:18.
    Jay/lonehoosier INGOer #14,649

Quote Originally Posted by eldirector View Post
    IF they concealed their contempt as well as they concealed their handgun, it would be a much more meaningful conversation.
    For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.

User Info Menu

Other than the usual people that can't read simple signs I did overhear a couple of gems. "If you have a license to carry you can carry an AK pistol". Technically true but IMHO not a grand idea. Also "I wasn't aiming for it but I'll take it" gave me a laugh. Husband training his wife, 6 shots out of an LCP at 3-4 yards, 1 shot hit the paper (23X35").
    Translated loosely the reason people don't believe they need training is simple. They believe they have already been trained by an expert. "Uncle Fred", owned guns for 50 years and has shot his pistol 10 times brings several family members in the range and trains them all in one hour. With so much experience, what other knowledge could you possibly acquire after training with a relative with 50 years experience? Probably over simplified but generally what the problem appears to be.

NRA Life Member / Basic Pistol instructor / RSO

"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard"
    Unnamed Navy Seal
    “Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public”

Aron Bright
    Any man can make mistakes but only and idiot persists in his error.. Cicero 200 BC

User Info Menu

Took a marine friend out one time, who fired a 12 gauge in front of his feet when he pumped it. Another marine friend couldn’t figure out why the 1911s hammer was stuck back. We let him stew on that a while before showing the thumb safety... don’t seem to have that problem with army friends...

I thought Mosin Nagants came from the earth and there was a limitless supply of this raw fuel?

User Info Menu

The real gems are the indignantly dangerous people.

I remember a woman on the range once who was shooting a J-frame and was locking her wrists out so it was pointing up and hitting the ceiling baffles at the 15 yard line with stunning consistency. I was nice enough to show her what she was doing wrong two times in the space of 15 minutes and every time she would regress back to shooting the ceiling within fifteen rounds. The third time it started happening I straight-up told her "You need to set the gun down for a bit to contemplate what you're doing wrong because this is getting unsafe even by my loose standards." She immediately got petulant and stormed off the range to tell the manager that I had kicked her out, and very unjustly at that, and that she had no idea why she was being treated this way. Neurotic mess of an individual.

I Care...Really

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lonehoosier View Post
    Here we go again, another thread just like the open carry versus concealed or the Glock versus 1911
    Geez man......relax. The OP discussed this with me before he opened it. I will be involved so any silliness will not be appreciated. This could be entertaining and enlightening.
    AKA..Thor. Odin son. God of thunder.
    But you can call me John.....Force.

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

http://ingunowners.com/forums/handgu...e-posting.html

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

But, but, but...

...ah grew up wit guns...

-----------------------------------------------
    Done, done, and I’m on to the next one...
    -----------------------------------------------

Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast