Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I wish more people would use a startle proof register position.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I have been teaching it that way for around 10 years now after learning it from someone who probably got it from Craig. I make it a point to tell people to keep their finger in the register position, not just "off the trigger". It frustrates some of them.

jkdbjj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2015
    rural
    I think it was Clint Smith that said "...on the target on the trigger, off the target off the trigger." Always made good sense to me.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I think I use the same thing, but think of it as an "Index" position. And, it isn't that high up on the slide, since my fingers aren't NEARLY that flexible.

I can see how it would make sense to angle it as far away as possible from the trigger, so I'm not knocking the idea of it. For me, it just makes more sense - across all the platforms I have - to simply extend the finger above the trigger guard.

It does seem risky to have the finger "across" the trigger to the far side of the trigger guard. I could see how that would be easy to twitch onto the trigger at an inopportune time.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    The big positive of having a fixed, repeatable index that has a positive feel with some bite, is your finger is less likely to slide off in to the trigger guard.

I may or may not have accidentally shot the instructor with a marking cartridge while grappling with another student at a class. My finger wasn't on the trigger.... until I was squeezing with both hands trying to keep the gun. Then it squished right down the frame and in to the trigger guard where it didn't belong.

Could that have been some random bystander in my real gunfight? Yep. Could it have been one of the people I thought I was trying to protect? Definitely. Is it scary to think I might have blasted a loved one? Sure is.

Good thing it was just in training.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I’ve used the register position since before I took ECQC, don’t even remember why I index on the ejection port, or who taught it? Shay did catch me finger dancing during one of his FoF classes, and I didn’t even realize I was doing it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The big positive of having a fixed, repeatable index that has a positive feel with some bite, is your finger is less likely to slide off in to the trigger guard.

I may or may not have accidentally shot the instructor with a marking cartridge while grappling with another student at a class. My finger wasn't on the trigger.... until I was squeezing with both hands trying to keep the gun. Then it squished right down the frame and in to the trigger guard where it didn't belong.

Could that have been some random bystander in my real gunfight? Yep. Could it have been one of the people I thought I was trying to protect? Definitely. Is it scary to think I might have blasted a loved one? Sure is.

Good thing it was just in training.

In that scenario it really does not matter as to what you are doing with the finger. A grappling situation might overcome even the high position. It is just your finger.

My finger is always on the slide line. Finger tip just forward of the guard. I am not sure I can re-train for this register position. I have been messing with this for a bit today.It will not work on my CZ's due to controls. A 1911 with the Ambi is tough as well. Just not comfortable. My EDC is Ambi-safety.

The 1st one of you wise guys that says buy a G****..........:p

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    In that scenario it really does not matter as to what you are doing with the finger. A grappling situation might overcome even the high position. It is just your finger.

My finger is always on the slide line. Finger tip just forward of the guard. I am not sure I can re-train for this register position. I have been messing with this for a bit today.It will not work on my CZ's due to controls. A 1911 with the Ambi is tough as well. Just not comfortable. My EDC is Ambi-safety.

I'm not sure he's specifically advocating the ejection port so much as the highest point possible with a positive feel to it.

The more margin and more resistance to slidind away, the better. I may nit have had different results with his position. But I may have. It's something to consider.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm not sure he's specifically advocating the ejection port so much as the highest point possible with a positive feel to it.

The more margin and more resistance to slidind away, the better. I may nit have had different results with his position. But I may have. It's something to consider.

I am still playing with it.
    But as my finger rests firmly along the slide/frame just in front of the trigger guard on all on my handguns I feel pretty confident with this.
    It has been my practice since I have been shooting. It may not be perfect in the eyes of some instructors and I get that.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield

You could always just buy a g...oat!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...The 1st one of you wise guys that says buy a G****..........:p

I wouldn't tell you that.

rhino showed me this high index years ago when I started training with him. I couldn't make the reach on my 1911, so it went by the wayside. Fast forward to the last few years, switched to Glocks. I can now make the reach with a little effort.

I have pulled the trigger a few more times and wrestled through a few FOF scenarios. The importance pointed out by Southnarc of a place where my trigger finger would stick through rough circumstances appeals to me. Like Jackson, I have "shot" an innocent bystander in a FOF scenario and it was devastatingly eye opening.

As Coach mentions, when you are responsible for watching other's safe gun handling, it is a breath of fresh air to not have a concern whether their finger is off the trigger vs riding it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I wouldn't tell you that.

rhino showed me this high index years ago when I started training with him. I couldn't make the reach on my 1911, so it went by the wayside. Fast forward to the last few years, switched to Glocks. I can now make the reach with a little effort.

I have pulled the trigger a few more times and wrestled through a few FOF scenarios. The importance pointed out by Southnarc of a place where my trigger finger would stick through rough circumstances appeals to me. Like Jackson, I have "shot" an innocent bystander in a FOF scenario and it was devastatingly eye opening.

As Coach mentions, when you are responsible for watching other's safe gun handling, it is a breath of fresh air to not have a concern whether their finger is off the trigger vs riding it.

In this I fully agree and understand.
    When I took a class with coach he told me I was way to comfortable around guns. Turns out he was right. I hate that..(:lmfao:)
    I had become a bit complacent. Not actually dangerous in my eyes but my overall approach needed some tuning up.
    I did that. I am a better gun owner/shooter for it.

As to what you said about the 1911, yes, this is not a natural/comfortable thing for me on that platform. As my hands are large my finger tip rests on the guard where it meets the frame. It is a natural feel for me. If I can not feel the guard I know my grip is off. This keeps me behind the gun.
    If my finger came up short of this I can see where it could cause issues.

As always, very good points. Made me address this.

Top Bottom