• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jlw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2018
    Georgia
    Here is a course review of my Social Levegun block at TacCon. This class generates more conversation than any other class in my lineup, but unfortunately, it doesn't sell well. I was very pleased to have 18 students in the TacCon block.

Edited to add some additional pictures:

29343348_747585718778750_1101788784488936025_n.jpg

[video=youtube_share;l-lRXBwUy0E]https://youtu.be/l-lRXBwUy0E[/video]

22449910_896051283931593_8075451585743084120_n.jpg

29789879_896051340598254_8563794538678168736_n.jpg

29684122_896051377264917_7792251917476068952_n.jpg

Last edited:

jlw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2018
    Georgia
    That class would be great, is it open to general individuals ever?

Absolutely.

Unfortunately, it hasn't sold well as an open enrollment course, but if someone can put together a group of interested students, I would love to teach it.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Regarding loose screws . . . is that something thread locker can fix, or is there a reason why it won't or you can't use it?

jlw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2018
    Georgia
    Regarding loose screws . . . is that something thread locker can fix, or is there a reason why it won't or you can't use it?

The loose screws are simply a condition that a levergun that sits in the safe/closet until deer season, gets a few rounds put through to verify zero, and then gets toted to a deer stand right up until it spends the next 10 months in the safe/closet won't experience.

Some sort of thread locker would alleviate the problem would probably be advisable for such a rifle seeing social use.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The loose screws are simply a condition that a levergun that sits in the safe/closet until deer season, gets a few rounds put through to verify zero, and then gets toted to a deer stand right up until it spends the next 10 months in the safe/closet won't experience.

Some sort of thread locker would alleviate the problem would probably be advisable for such a rifle seeing social use.

How tolerant are lever guns of minimal maintenance? (sorry for my ignorance, but this seems like a good opportunity to ask questions I've never considered)

For instance, I know that as long as an AR is built properly, I can go for a long, long, long, long time without cleaning it as long as I keep the bolt and carrier group lubed. I can go longer with an AK. Are lever guns usable if they're not cleaned regularly, or does it depend on the make and model?

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    While we are asking questions, what is the likely hood of having to reload a lever gun in fight? Considering a lot of comparison to the shotgun in the review. Shotgun is good for one shot stops, and I would the lever gun would be as well unless talking about a cowboy gun.

A good rifle caliber would seem to be a good thing against an active shooter with body armor.

jlw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2018
    Georgia
    How tolerant are lever guns of minimal maintenance? (sorry for my ignorance, but this seems like a good opportunity to ask questions I've never considered)

For instance, I know that as long as an AR is built properly, I can go for a long, long, long, long time without cleaning it as long as I keep the bolt and carrier group lubed. I can go longer with an AK. Are lever guns usable if they're not cleaned regularly, or does it depend on the make and model?

Keeping in mind that my leverguns are from the days when Marlin and Winchester knew how to make leverguns, I haven't had any problems with mine. I have seen a few instances of broken extractors on the Winchester 94 design, but I don't think that it rises to the point of being a far reaching problem. If you are mindful and don't cross over into being abusive, you shouldn't run into major issues. That said, I don't think leverguns lend themselves to being bullet hoses like a an AR or an AK.

jlw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2018
    Georgia
    While we are asking questions, what is the likely hood of having to reload a lever gun in fight? Considering a lot of comparison to the shotgun in the review. Shotgun is good for one shot stops, and I would the lever gun would be as well unless talking about a cowboy gun.

A good rifle caliber would seem to be a good thing against an active shooter with body armor.

I don't think that capacity, or lack thereof, is a downfall as prolonged firefights are an extreme rarity. Darryl Bolke says something to the effect of when you call 911 and nobody answers it's time to go box magazine fed rifles.

The levergun will be adequate for the vast majority of domestic social situations any of us are likely to encounter. I've carried my 336 on patrol and utilized it to the point of clearing houses in a manhunt with it and didn't feel undergunned in the least.

A prolonged situation such as natural disaster or a man made situation such as riots, it's time for the ARs. Otherwise, your 336, your 94, your 1895 etc will all serve you well.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I would take the class just because I like the name
    I'll have to buy a lever gun first
    What should it be?
    This is a serious question , I know nothing about leverguns

jlw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2018
    Georgia
    I would take the class just because I like the name
    I'll have to buy a lever gun first
    What should it be?
    This is a serious question , I know nothing about leverguns

My preference is an older Marlin 336 in .30-30 with either a youth stock or a shortened stock with a recoil pad. An older Winchester 94 would serve you just as well. The Marlin design will lend itself more readily to different sighting options.

My only issue with the current Henry rifles is a lack of a loading gate in the receiver as this keeps you from being able to top off on the fly. For a purely hinting rifle, this wouldn't be a problem, but I do think it limits them as a dual purpose rifle.

The pistol caliber carbines are a hoot, but there are a few considerations:

-they are more sensitive to the overall length of your ammo and the shape of the bullet
    -if you want to pair it with a wheelgun, you have to take that into consideration with your ammo selection. A hand loader could work up a load to maximize the potential of the longer barrel, but that might make the same round too hot to run in your chosen handgun.

jkdbjj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2015
    rural
    CZ USA 527 and 527 youth model in 7.62x39 are handy little rifles too. If you own AK's it will keep you from adding the 30-30 caliber if you don't already own one.

jlw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2018
    Georgia
    CZ USA 527 and 527 youth model in 7.62x39 are handy little rifles too. If you own AK's it will keep you from adding the 30-30 caliber if you don't already own one.

The Ruger American line has added a compact model in 7.62x39 that uses the Mini-30 mags.

Top Bottom