• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    IMHO, it is more responsible than not carrying. (Where and when legally allowed to do so, obviously.)

Objectively, again IMHO, there should not be a purity test for whether someone should carry. Which is where this kind of question usually leads.

(You clearly deserve much respect for what you do and how you do it. So I very much want to make sure no offense is taken from my opinion on this matter.)

Of course, the more training, the better, but "responsible" is a spectrum, not a binary fact.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    As I do agree with Tlex (scary huh) I also believe that with owning/carry comes a great responsibility.
    In this being proficient with what ever we choose to own/carry.
    If you own/Carry it and do not train with it then yes. You are not being responsible. Legal yes. Responsible no.

Last edited:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Just to be clear the question was not about being trained, but practicing with the gun you carry.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Just to be clear the question was not about being trained, but practicing with the gun you carry.

If you are untrained, is practice doing you any good or just further burning in bad habits?

To be "responsible", I think you need to be both trained and practiced...as a base line. If you're trained, practiced, but stuff your carry gun where a toddler can reach it...still irresponsible.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Is it irresponsible for a person to charge for training they feel is a MUST to carry a gun? I'm all for training, practice is useless without it, if you don't know how to properly practice, then practice is useless?

stoneytoney

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 17, 2014
    indy
    I started off getting pointers from YouTube. I was never around guns, and my parents didn't like them. So I had to go somewhere to learn. I kept hearing "dry firing practice" each beginner video I did watch. Everybody kept saying it was important, so I started doing it. I didn't know if this wrong or right, but everybody was doing it so I decided to do it. I didn't know about Travis Haley...Chris Costa...Dave Spaulding etc...until this year to be honest. At the same time, this is the first year I'm getting TRAINING so that's probably why those names are popping up more and more now. Before I took classes I would go to the range with my friends just to shoot our new guns. Didn't know anything about grip, sights or nothing but we were still putting holes in the target so that was good enough for us. We would go to range trips maybe three times a year, sometimes not at all. I got my permit, and was just happy I got it and started carrying right away with a week in total of dry fire practice and I can count on both hands how many times I've been to the range before I bought my sub-compact XD. I carried the XD until this year actually, G23 took her place. My first class was on my birthday this year, and I've been to 2 more since. Signing up for the 4th (carry gun match practice on 05/14). I gave my mother a Taurus G2, she's been to the range once. She doesn't carry, but keeps it in the house. She just knows pull the trigger! I know I have to get her to the range soon, but in the mean time I wouldn't take it away from her just because she doesn't know proper grip and sight alignment. A lot of women and men have saved their own lives without even firing a gun EVER until the day they had to.

So from my personal experience with not training or even practicing. I did still carry and I would NEVER keep my gun home even if I didn't practice with it. I knew I could pull the trigger and the gun would go bang and that's all the piece of mind all I wanted and needed at the time. And it's always better to have a tool then not to have one.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Is it irresponsible for a person to charge for training they feel is a MUST to carry a gun? I'm all for training, practice is useless without it, if you don't know how to properly practice, then practice is useless?

I offer free training at the gun club I am on the board of, and get very few takers even though I know there are many there who carry with no training and /or practice. Of course in MI you have to take a class to get your CPL so you are good after that.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I offer free training at the gun club I am on the board of, and get very few takers even though I know there are many there who carry with no training and /or practice. Of course in MI you have to take a class to get your CPL so you are good after that.
    Mike, I applaud you for that. I know your former employer would Never abide with that. I'm not trying to ruffle feathers with that post. I believe in practicing and training, but one without the other is, in my opinion, worthless. But for a guy that sells training to post about practice, or not being irresponsible, I took a wrong look maybe? I don't do training for money, but I believe EVERYONE who owns a gun should seek it. But practice without training is like having two men having sex to make a baby.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    No, to answer your question. You aren't "good" after a basic don't kill nobody course. I have hundreds of hours of training, and still don't think I'm good, time to stop, go forth and prosper. Maybe I read the post wrong, but I dunno what I don't know. Hopefully tomorrow I will be in a better cell service area and actually have a connection good enough to continue.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Is it irresponsible for a person to charge for training they feel is a MUST to carry a gun?

Sure. And since practice is required, charging for ammunition is equally irresponsible.

To be a responsible motorcycle rider, I sought training. It wasn't free. Part of being responsible is dedicating resources appropriately.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    It is irresponsible. I think carrying a firearm without legal training on when/how/why/etc. to deploy a firearm is more irresponsible. I have no facts to support this, but I would posit that more people have gotten in trouble for using a firearm when they shouldn’t have than anyone who was just a bad shot and didn’t practice. I would suggest legal training, and then marksmanship training. :twocents:

Last edited:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    If you carry a gun in public and have to use it. It is going to be important to be able to draw the gun and hit the threat and not hit anyone else. Being able to hit a target/threat takes skill. How can you be responsible without that skill?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If you carry a gun in public and have to use it. It is going to be important to be able to draw the gun and hit the threat and not hit anyone else. Being able to hit a target/threat takes skill. How can you be responsible without that skill?

Agree. 100%.
    But as is mentioned up-thread so many ignore these issues as to time and expense. Excuses run the Gambit from time/expense. Ammo costs/range costs/training costs. But these same people will sport a $1200 cell phone with a huge data package.

Top Bottom