How Do You Counsel Gun Owners Who Are Unaware?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'll preface this: if anyone sees, hears, or knows I'm doing something unsafe with firearms, I welcome your advice and correction.

Many of us know or encounter people who believe they know everything they need to know about safe gun handling and use, yet the evidence when they are observed is to the contrary. In a situation where human life is at risk (or at least potential for serious injury), it's not a huge problem speaking-up and doing what you need to do to correct the situation, at least for that moment.

Where it gets tough is when you know someone who has some safety issues, but either doesn't realize it or can't accept it. Attempting to counsel them often leads to that person becoming understandably defensive, which prevents useful dialog, much less instruction and correction.

So what are some ways to broach the issue and move forward to help those people to become safer gun owners?

Is it worth jeopardizing a friendship or relationship with a family member to do so?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Like you I welcome correction. I want to be safe at all times but I realize sometimes i'm focused on other things and may tend to let my guard down.

I find it better, in general circumstances, to always start off by asking questions. Like: Do you realize that every time you do that, you're pointing that gun at __________?

Yelling and screaming tends to put people on guard. Sometimes events dictate immediate action and vociferous verbal skills.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Kinda like with a DGU, I'm responsible for me and mine. So, any friends/family who I have a relationship with, I wouldn't hesitate to teach/coach/learn from/be corrected by.

Everyone else is responsible for themselves.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Unless it has immediate repercussions I don't bother anymore. As you can see from so many threads here, muh rights trump everything.

Ok, so it isn't true that I don't try, but I am getting tired of beating my head against the wall.

Last edited:

jkdbjj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2015
    rural
    How?

If it is family or a friend: 1 on 1 if possible; respectfully; to the point and not dramatic...education not preaching.

I so rarely shoot around strangers that it is a non-issue in my life.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Like sales, presentation is everything. Aside from being friendly and especially LOW KEY--because who wants to be criticized in front of others?--making it about sharing some latest, greatest, method done by _______ the spec-op ninja or competition wizard, it makes easier to accept doing things differently.

Still, I don't bother unless the issue is about safety.

Taurahe

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Greenwood
    politely explain what they are doing wrong, and explain the correction. Im not here to cuddle their feelings, especially when safety is on the line. If they get opffended, then they probably shouldnt own guns

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    I had business cards made with the four main gun handeling safety rules printed on them. It's a great ice breaker to hand someone a small card rather than lecture a new shooter on the basic rules. It is a inexpensive way to try to help a person new to shooting to think of safety from the beginning.

Top Bottom