AAR: ACT Defensive Rifle 101 May 19th, 2018.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1stLast&Always

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 14, 2016
    Indy No Place
    WHO: ACT Instructor John Viray, Student 1stLast&Always
    WHEN: Saturday May 19[SUP]th, [/SUP]2018
    WHERE: Riley Conservation Club- Riley, IN
    DURATION: About 5 hours including breaks

Synopsis: Introduction to Defensive Rifle with ACT is a course to learn how to deploy the AR quickly and effectively against short range targets up to 25 meters. Fundamentals include safety, grip/stance, aiming points, optic offset, a brief marksmanship assessment on an SEB/SWAT target (like IPSC target), malfunctions, moving from the X, checking for additional threats and disengagement. Special emphasis was added for legality of defense with firearms.

ACT Instructor John Viray’s experience with firearms spans over 40 years and brings a wealth of information to his training- from small unit tactics, to distance shooting, to championship handgun expertise, to medical. He appears a formidable threat to anyone in armed encounters and has innumerable resources to share. Practical shooting seems to be at the heart of his techniques.

Preparation: Being a novice, I guesstimated some objectives for this course and mainly focused on my PT. I started with frequent two mile runs while wearing a chest rig with 15 lbs. added weight in addition to a lighter gun belt run and bi-weekly calisthenics with my chest rig. I assumed high physicality to the class- with possibilities for kneeling/prone/barriers and movement. I am a 40+, 200 lb. male in average shape and wanted to be prepared.
    Conversely, there was not my expected level of movement during this class. No regrets! Speed, agility and muscle control are useful in any fight. I’m still training, and I’m training harder for the next class. I will be spending more time on "UP!" presentation and mounting the rifle as well.

Gear
    : Rigger’s belt, triple stack mag carrier for AR, and a double pistol mag carrier on my offhand side, along with my secondary weapon. The triple was useful both for full magazines and for empties. A dump pouch isn’t needed, and for this course, the secondary probably is not either. 500 rds. were called for, I only went through maybe 150 (although the proper answer is "I don't know exactly how many rounds I fired").

Weapon configuration
    : 16” PSA/MAGPUL Lower/MAS Defense Upper chambered in .223 Wylde with a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24. Magpul 30 rd. magazines with cheap Federal 55 gr. ammo. Even with cheap ammo, this is a sub MOA gun. The optic was overkill, though I won’t change it because John ID’d this setup as a great “general purpose AR” for use out to 250 yards/meters. We verified it provided adequate accuracy and functioning. At the end the charging handle was giving me some flak, so that will be looked at. Secondary was the trusty S&W SD9VE.

Benefits and Challenges
    : The benefit of this course was getting familiar with fending off attackers with the AR at close distances. I was told that one critical objective is to practice skills that most attackers have not. Even though previously I spent very little time behind an AR15 in this type of setting, I got comfortable enough to engage accurately and confidently. I was satisfied with most of my target results and planned to continue to improve.

Malfunctions and reloads were challenging because of my mag selection and because I was not moving, or moving improperly. John recommended to choose something other than Magpul mags for this gun. The bolt consistently failed to lock back - nerve wracking when seconds count. I bet John was laughing as he held on to his C Products mags watching me struggle.

During some phases, I crossed my feet a few times or didn’t move when I should. It was evident that during simulation, my peripheral dropped to tunnel vision and my concentration/body connection dropped to freezing and clearing a malfunction, not clearing while moving. Later, this got better, though I’m sure if I was being recorded there’d be plenty to pick at. I have a plan for this. Bottom line is if you’re used to shooting paper, you might struggle too. During all that, John was patient and gave me steady audibles to remind me.

I didn’t really find any downsides other than we did not get to other shooting positions and the magazine issues.

Extras and Takeaways: John imparted some tools for defensive AR use quickly, efficiently and simply. There was no fluff. He picked up quickly on my speed and style of learning. To boot, he is down to earth and personable, able to share plenty of anecdotes, gear recommendations (even on a budget) and if you’re interested, a depth in multiple disciplines that is striking. He has trained and has relationships with prominent shooters and tacticians. The philosophy and facilitation of his teaching is truly one of adaptation from multiple wellsprings in the shooting world.

Finally, the best take-away was laying the foundation for shooting AR defensively. I practiced what to do up close, and what to do if there are malfunctions. Even with my mag issue I was allowed more run-throughs to better my steps.

There are a few goodies in this course you must see for yourself. The range and facility are great, and I look forward to returning. Other highlights included meeting BWFrame, hearing gunfire and suppressed projectiles from the .22 Long Range match as well as the ringing steel from Coach’s pistol match next door while I trained!

I am looking forward to the next class, DR202, and will be using my dry fire exercises in the garage with the course target (pictured) to help keep skills fresh.

Photos (L to R): Author, Ammo used during course, dry fire target setup

2wq9vlf.jpg
    w0kpw3.jpg
    14j9eec.jpg

Last edited:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Nice write up. I have this class on my short list.

Obviously the class took place during the day, but was there any discussion around the use of rail mounted lights?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    1stLast&Always:

Excellent review of the course! Sounds like you had had a good day, which is expected with obijohn!

MCgrease08:

I know you didn't ask me, but I like to talk. There are lots of lights that will fill the bill, but I think the big thing is where you mount it. In my opinion, the best place to locate your white light is in the top rail, in front of the front sight (if you have one). The advantages are numerous. First, the light is always aligned with your bore. Second, if you have to shoot around cover, you won't have to lean any further than needed to clear the boreline. If you have a light on the side, then when you shoot from the opposite side around cover, you have to push out further. Having it on top also keeps the underside clear if you want to rest the fore end on something. Plus, having it on top allows you to activate with either hand more easily than it it's mounted on the side.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    It was a good call to be in shape for the class. Rifle classes can by nature be strenuous. I have seen a number of people collapse in rifle classes. I assume being an intro class, John avoids getting too crazy with things. Good review.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    It was a good call to be in shape for the class. Rifle classes can by nature be strenuous. I have seen a number of people collapse in rifle classes. I assume being an intro class, John avoids getting too crazy with things. Good review.

John IS crazy. TOO crazy is a judgement call.

True enough. I see no reason to kill ourselves learning fundamentals. It has to be somewhat fun in order to learn anything. 1stlast&always will appreciate his conditioning when he returns for the DR201 class. Not high speed operator physical, but strenuous none the less.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Thanks for the review. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself and got some information you find useful. The only thing you missed was the possibility of learning from other students in the class. Should be more in attendance in September.

Top Bottom