• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tom Givens

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2014
    Memphis
    The outdoor range I train/practice on is a 45 minute drive from my home. I drove there today, and as often happens in Florida, it started pouring rain as soon as I got set up. Since it was 88 degrees and a 25 mile drive home, I decided to stay and practice in the rain. Every now and then we need to train and practice in adverse conditions, so we know what to expect if we have to defend ourselves in such circumstances.

I shot the FBI qualification cold, as a cold skill check and warm-up. I scored 95%. I then shot the Rangemaster Instructor Qualification, and shot 97.6%. I finished with the 5 Yard Round-Up, scoring 98%. At that point, all my gear and I were soaked and I elected to leave. This experience reminded me of a couple of training points.

First, once I got good and wet, my shirt was clinging to my undershirt. It took an aggressive drawstroke to clear the outer garment sufficiently and make an efficient presentation. One should always practice an aggressive drawstroke, just in case it gets wet or the wind is blowing strongly from a direction that pins your outer clothing to you.

Next, the grip texture on my Boresight Solutions Glock 17 worked just fine, even when my hands were soaking wet. The support hand, however, is mostly gripping wet flesh. You really need to clamp down with that support hand to keep the grip together in multiple shot strings, especially when your hands are wet.

The late Pat Rogers often said that we don’t always get to train when it’s a sunny 70 degrees, with an impossibly blue sky and cottonball clouds. He was right. The next time you’re going shooting and it starts to rain, stick around and get used to it. It’s just part of being properly prepared.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Dr. Hodges and I practiced about four hours yesterday at the Riley Conservation Club. More than an hour of it was in the rain.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I've trained in about every kind of weather you can think of except lightning and hail. My favorite is laying in the snow at Camp Atterbury for a known distance rifle shoot.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I used to train, practice, and shoot matches in any weather that wasn't physically dangerous (like during thunderstorms). I recognize the value of doing it. I'm not motivated to continue doing it anymore. I'll still go in the cold and will consider if it's raining, but I'm not doing it in the extreme heat/humidity anymore. If I'm out and about in those conditions, I'm fine for a short time. If I ever get involved in some protracted event in the heat, I'm going to be "combat ineffective" and just trying to survive anyway.

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    Last year, I think, Revere's Riders had a pistol class at the MCF&G range. We had a downpour and IT WAS AWESOME! My gun steaming from the barrel... I felt like I was in a movie.

Your fine trigger control diminishes, though. My XDM slid around in my hand more than usual. But I was still ringing the steel plates better than I'd've expected.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Last October during the USPSA state match there was sleet and ice building up on my slide while shooting a stage. Did not have a miss. Adverse weather can be overcome. Overcoming it builds confidence.

jlw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2018
    Georgia
    I ran a session yesterday called "Test Day". We had a short clinic followed by a number of scored courses. We were besieged by a couple of rain showers. Rather than wipe the rain drops from my glasses, I shot the 5x5 in front of the entire class just to see what the effect would be. It actually created an odd double vision effect in my left eye. On the next string, I tilted my head to see over the rain the rain drops with some improvement. Ultimately just closing the left eye proved the most beneficial.

Top Bottom