• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1stLast&Always

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 14, 2016
    Indy No Place
    Two full days 8 am-5 p.m., breaks included.

Taught by retired IPD officer, long time NRA instructor/counselor James Heath.
    Mr. Heath is also an instructor for Indiana Law Enforcement Academy and Brinks.

His range is a pleasure to experience in addition to a climate controlled classroom with free drinks and snacks (bring your own lunch).

Prerequisites:
    Must have taken the NRA Basic Rifle course first. Must be a NRA member. Must be computer literate.

Cost: $300. Must demonstrate 90% proficiency to pass.

The range is easily accessible from I-74 and there are plenty of convenient hotels and a few campsites around.

Registration here:
    https://www.nrainstructors.org/CourseDetails.aspx?Courseid=501595&seats=12&State=n&zip=46219&radius=25.1&id=22&bsa=&youth=&women=

I am not an INGO advertiser, am not advertising for this instructor or NRA- taking the course myself and extending the invite.

Last edited:

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I guess I've just never been interested in spending $400+ of my money to be able to call myself an Instructor, as certified by NRA. Same for CMP. Same Truth for the requirements to help at Appleseed/Revere...I'm not willing to spend ~500 rounds and ~500 rounds worth of barrel life going through a Basic such that I can then attempt to help out on the Ranges. It's not to say I have nothing to learn by any means, and I try to be open to good info from ANYwhere, but I still have trouble with the economics of this sorta thing.

Why are you the opposite of me? (Serious question. I just want to know the logic(s), as I had/have considered such a thing.)

-Nate

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I guess I've just never been interested in spending $400+ of my money to be able to call myself an Instructor, as certified by NRA. Same for CMP. Same Truth for the requirements to help at Appleseed/Revere...I'm not willing to spend ~500 rounds and ~500 rounds worth of barrel life going through a Basic such that I can then attempt to help out on the Ranges. It's not to say I have nothing to learn by any means, and I try to be open to good info from ANYwhere, but I still have trouble with the economics of this sorta thing.

Why are you the opposite of me? (Serious question. I just want to know the logic(s), as I had/have considered such a thing.)

-Nate

A couple of reasons I took the NRA class.

1. It lends legitimacy. People who don't know are generally more likely to see this as a plus. Those are the same people that are very likely to seek a basic class.

2. If the class is good it does offer some adult learning/teaching methods.

3. I thought I had to have it to be insured.

Now that being said, I had a good teacher for my NRA rifle instructor. (He is here, pipe up if you're reading this) and a HORRENDOUS instructor for my NRA pistol instructor class (Brian from MI).

Realistically the class does a poor job teaching you how to be a firearms instructor, run a firearms training business, or even shoot a rifle when considering other training opportunities out there.

1stLast&Always

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 14, 2016
    Indy No Place
    Nate- Thanks for the question. As recommended by one of my instructors who also posts here, taking the class helps me meet the objective of training suggested or requested for entrance into some other courses and areas. Though not everyone is a fan- it lends credibility.

From an objective standpoint, I am willing to invest in myself and to share with others what I learn. It may also strengthen the credibility piece on the civilian side because of the 146 year history of the NRA. When looking into training from other organizations, it is hard to match the name recognition, history or reputation (unless you were trained as an LEO or soldier).

That said, there is great training (and likely superior in many ways) from other organizations I intend to take as well. I will forever be a student and seeking new knowledge and challenges. I see this course (and several others I took this year) as part of that journey beginning.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Another thing to consider is that not all NRA Training Counselors charge as much as was shown in the topic.

gopher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Zionsville, IN

-Nate

I can't speak to other organizations, but Revere's Riders is not pedantic about our instructors needing to go through our instructor certification program or anyone else's. If you can show that you have the requisite skills to be an instructor via other means, we're happy to consider that. Also, Revere's Riders supports our instructors by reimbursement of at least some of their expenses for outside instruction.

If you would consider instructing with Revere's Riders, drop me a PM...

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I can't speak to other organizations, but Revere's Riders is not pedantic about our instructors needing to go through our instructor certification program

If you would consider instructing with Revere's Riders, drop me a PM...

Cool!

And I'd be happy to shoot a qualifier or similar.

I'll send you a note.

-Nate

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    One situation where completing a standardized (i.e. NRA) instructor training program is when someone who knows little about guns and shooting has to allow other people to work with their group of students. Consider Boys Scouts or 4-H. An individual may be the best shooter since G David Tubb and Rob Leatham combined, and they may have the teaching skills to teach a crazed, purple, winged monkey how to speak and file your taxes. The problem is, how do you prove that to the administrator of the program? They have no context on which to base an assessment of the person's qualification, so by necessity they have rely on some accepted standard. For good or bad, that almost always means NRA Instructor certification.

We all have our own opinions of the value and merit of the NRA's training and certification system, but the bottom line is that for most people on the outside looking in, it's not only the best yardstick, it's the only yardstick.

My opinion is that NRA instructor certification is okay, especially if it's required. I also don't think it's anywhere near sufficient to be a good teacher of the subject matter unless you restrict the curriculum to what is included in the NRA courses . I would recommend that anyone who starts with NRA certs then pursue additional training in the subject area of their choice, whether its long range precision shooting, trap & skeet,is action shooting, or defense. That includes training to improve theirs own skills as well as training to develop their ability to teach, operate a hot range safely, and other things things that instructors have to know cold and will never, ever learn from NRA.

Top Bottom