• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I'm no expert but I believe cedartop is correct. Turn into the gun is the way I have been instructed.
    This gets the gun inside the 180 the quickest.
    My turn and draw isn't quick enough for that to matter :rolleyes:

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Why the moving straight down range after the turn? How often have you encountered that situation?

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    closer you get, the higher the percentage shot.

This is a competition specific subject. There are seldom target arrays that call for this in competition at least in the years I have been shooting competition, and classifiers are almost always from a 3 foot box. Have you shot some stages where the movement applys?
    And in terms of moving off the line of force moving straight forward does not change you as a sight picture.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Right/wrong? I missed it. In both cases he turned before he drew his pistol and, as I understand it, the 180degree rule is a function of the angle of the pistol relative to the firing line

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Right/wrong? I missed it. In both cases he turned before he drew his pistol and, as I understand it, the 180degree rule is a function of the angle of the pistol relative to the firing line

It’s much faster to turn toward your strong side. The other way, you have to move much further before you draw to avoid breaking the 180.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Perhaps an up range start is where strong side holster position has an advantage on appendix.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    This is specific to competition?
    IMO yes. Clearing the holster while your body conceals your pistol, is the definition of concealing your draw. Likewise, the 180 degree rule is more of a suggestion in a gunfight

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    My mind has been rolling this question around all day outside of the arena of competition.

IMO yes. Clearing the holster while your body conceals your pistol, is the definition of concealing your draw. Likewise, the 180 degree rule is more of a suggestion in a gunfight

There is so much context missing if we're not talking about competition.

Is there a direction that would be advantageous to move outside of making the turn? Are there obstacles, people, cover we can move toward or away from to improve our position ?

How close is the person we're presumably turning to shoot? Will turning in the direction of our holstered pistol open us to a stuffed draw, a hand averting our muzzle, or a potential disarm?

Under what circumstances would I need to turn and draw immediately anyway? If I haven't seen it yet, how do I know the pistol is the answer? If we know there's a threat why were we facing the other way in the first place?

GIJew's point about the concealed draw is valid too, and reinforces my thoughts on the potential take away.

parkerj112

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    Oops yep the titles were wrong. Should be fixed now. Also forgot to click subscribe haha!

Yes competition specific. But not because I've seen it in a match but rather an el pres moving drill. I have seen facing up range starts that I wanted to move to a new position right away. But never to date a surrender up range.

This drill trains a number of things like non line of sight starts, movement to first target and moving the entire time I'm shooting.

I know that production A class I'm not supposed to move and shoot but I say screw that I plan to be production GM so I might as well learn to move and shoot now! Check out the video below I shot three plates on the move when everyone else on my squad posted up and shot at them (not one for one hits) and I was faster because I got closer to where I needed to be after the plates.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAJsJ_Golaw&t=156s

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I’m glad others chimed in about the links being backwards. I’ve been doing it right forever, but began second guessing myself and why do the ballet dance...

Top Bottom