• ...and so much more!
  • nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    AAR Advanced Pistol
    Saturday July 7th, 2018
    Defensive ShootingConcepts (Jonathon & Song)
    Atlanta ConservationClub Bay #8+ (about 30-45 North of Indy)

The day started off when we met at Bay #8 and filled out therequisite paperwork. Everyone arrived bythe scheduled start time and everything was already set up and ready to go. There are a couple of things Jonathon does whichI feel are well worth mentioning. Everyone gets a folder with info to fill out (very organized),additionally a 3x5 card for emergency contact information that goes in your rightrear pocket. Upon completion of theclass you receive a certificate of completion which is also a nice touch.Returning students also get a discounted rate ($25) off subsequent classes.
    This was an advanced level class so after brief introductionfrom Defense Shooting Concepts and the safety brief we were straight into thematerial. I’d estimate 75% werereturning shooters.
    There were ten students and we split into two groups ( 5 and5!). No warm up, rather straight intothe drills. DSC stress the importance ofbeing able to make that cold bore shot. No warm up/practice in a real life defensive situation. You pull up on the scene and are expected tomake that one crucial shot. We started out around 25-30 yards engaging threesteel torso targets (2 small (1/3 size?) and one life size). Engaging targets on the move. Moving from cover to cover while engaging thesethree targets. We were forced to move in a zig zag motion and targets wereobscured and engaged in different orders as and when they came into view. You basically move as fast as possible whilegetting hits on target. Final engagement distance was around 5 yards.
    The next bay was set up with two paper targets and threehead shot only targets. Starting from beingseated at a table we had to make head shot/s then engage both torsotargets. Head, COM, pelvic girdle shots werecalled out plus some other variations. Both/alltargets were to be engaged for each COF and efficient use of cover wasrequired. These targets werestrategically placed to challenge the shooter.
    Both the above two drills were repeated at least twice byeveryone. Observations: If you are not getting hitseither slow down so you are OR haul a$$ to cover. Keep the gun pressed out ready to engagethroughout. Breath as opposed to holdyour breath.
    Next up we formed a common firing line at about 3 yards fromour targets. Emphasis here is gettingoff the X while engaging. Left, right,kneeling with single shots, controlled pairs. We repeated this drill with one hand being occupied with something else(no cheating here).
    We practiced some single hand manipulation drills with emptyguns and mags. Tried some different techniques,recognized drawbacks of some of them along with some we would be doinglater. After the ‘dry’ practice we rolledinto doing SHO and WHO drills which included mag changes.
    This took us to lunch where we took a brief 15-20 min break.
    We paired up and #1 engaged multiple threats while movingclockwise and counterclockwise around stacked barrels (#2’s were safetymonitor). We changed roles back and forthrepeating this drill.
    The last two drills comprised of 50 round count followed by a60 round count exercise. These were asmuch following direction exercises as they were testing your shooting skills. Ido not wish to spoil it for subsequent attendees, but your skills were testedfrom 3 yards to 25 yards against the clock. Both ofthese drills were a lot of fun and tested your shooting skills along with yourability to follow directions! DSCtypically have an event during the class where there has to be a singlewinner. That winner gets bragging rightsalong with a custom T shirt or other DSC loot. These are definitely not easy to get (unlessyour name is TDOGG!). Congrats Travis.
    Round count was closer to 500 than 350 for sure. Take plenty of ammo, you can always take itback home.
    Due to their LEO commitments classes are not scheduled outway in advance. You owe it to yourself to check these guys out, you definitely won’t be disappointed.
    www.defensiveshootingconcepts.com

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Sounds like you covered a lot of material and had a good time. I must say that I am impressed. Getting hits at 30 yards on a 6X10 inch target while moving is no easy task. Keep up the good work.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Good write-up Nigel and thanks for the compliment.

I will add that I have attended 10 classes with Jon Tindal now, some of them repeat classes, however the drills are not always the same.

Jon will mix things up to keep repeat attendees on their feet, so to speak.

I think it's a good idea to train for all kinds of scenarios and I think DSC does a great job with diversifying the drills.

I personally have gotten better in many areas with this group because Jon is very good at exposing weaknesses. If you already know everything, this isn't the class for you, have an open mind and be willing to learn different things.

If you haven't attended a class, I strongly urge you give him a try.

Top Bottom