AAR - Suarez Intl Zero to Five Feet Gunfighting, July 7-8 2018, Dayton TN with R

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TFuller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Evansville, IN
    75% of the weekend course is spent working combatives and dealing with generally unhandy situations, both standing and on the ground. 25% of the weekend was live fire from less common range positions but positions that may occur in an actual fight (the "whys" were always included as to how these positions occur). Topics included (but not limited to and in no specific order) not getting stabbed, shot or hit; being able to stab, shoot, and hit; realities of distance and space; essentials of ground fighting; essentials of stand-up fighting; dynamic movement; and classroom discussion on effective tools and effectively using said tools in sometimes unconventional manners along with being smart enough to stay out these situations entirely.

Shooting is easier. Fighting is harder.

If there is one style of class to be taken as a yearly requirement for people concerned about being able to actually handle their business, I strongly suggest a course with a much heavier emphasis on the fighting portion and less on the paper hole punching. This was my second time taking this course and the third course of this nature I’ve taken this year. Once you’ve got a strong fundamental base in the principles of shooting and you want to be effective in a fight, get yourself trained beyond target shooting and learn the ins and outs of the fight.

As I've said before, SI overall and Randy Harris do a stellar job at being fight focused and bringing a holistic approach to fighting often found sorely lacking in other avenues of instruction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Randy Harris

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Thanks Thomas. Always good to see you in class. For those wondering he drove down from Evansville IN to Dayton TN for this class.

Here's some pics....

group 0-5.jpg

IMG950613.jpg

JBishop

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2012
    New Albany
    I did this class several years ago in KY, and Tom is right, this is a class that would benefit taking several times. The large amount of Force on Force during class is why you can get a completely different experience every session, due to each student's perspective on dealing with their part of the scenarios. This class is good if you want to learn, but may damage your ego if you think you'll magically solve every problem by drawing and shooting. Randy does a great job of giving the "best practices" explanation to techniques and concepts, not the "because I said so" answers. I always see great value in the material he teaches and don't hesitate to promote these classes.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I took the SI Zero to Five course in 2013. It was the only real exposre I'd had to hands-on fighting in probably a 10 year period leading up to that. It also opened my eyes to serious deficiencies in terms of grappling and a total lack of awareness of what to do on the ground. In it I met iChokePeople, who introduced me to the place where I train BJJ today.

I've since taken classes with similar classes like Shivworks ECQC and, like the poster above, I believe these are important classes to take.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ive-feet-gunfighting.html?314449=#post4476961

Last edited:
    Top Bottom