• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    It has been a number of years since I shared a range with Reid. VERT and Craig were there too. He has improved a ton!

[video=youtube_share;nw5L8HzqaAc]https://youtu.be/nw5L8HzqaAc[/video]

Valor Ridge Instructor Test by Reid Henrichs

All stages shot from concealment/duty rig unless otherwise noted. Target is VR-16 target for stages 1-9 and 16”x9” reduced silhouette for stage 10. All body shots must be inside the 8” circle and all head shots must be inside 3”x2” triangle. Grease marks touching the line count. A miss at any time or a shot over par time results in an immediate failure of the test.

Stage one: 3 yards. Draw and fire 3 rounds to body in 1.5 seconds.

Stage two: 5 yards. From challenge, fire 2 rounds to body in .85 seconds.

Stage three: 5 yards. Draw and fire 3 rounds to body, then 2 rounds to head in 3.25 seconds.

Stage four: 7 yards. Pistol is at slidelock with empty magazine in place. From high ready, on signal reload pistol gun hand only and fire 3 round to body in 7.50 seconds.

Stage five: 7 yards. From high ready, fire two rounds to body gun hand only, switch hands, then fire two rounds to body support hand only in 4.5 seconds.

Stage six: 7 yards. Set up pistol with one round in chamber, empty magazine in place. From challenge, on signal, fire one round to body, slidelock reload, kneel, and fire one round to head in 4.25 seconds.

Stage seven: 10 yards. Draw and fire five rounds to body in 4.25 seconds.

Stage eight: 15 yards. Draw and fire 3 rounds to body in 4.25 seconds.

Stage nine: 25 yards. From challenge, fire 2 rounds to body in 4.25 seconds.

Stage ten: 50 yards. From high ready, fire 1 round to 16”x9” silhouette in 2.0 seconds

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    That's a very demanding test with tough par times.

He's an impressive shooter. It would be interesting to see him do it with either a random delay on the timer or someone else running the timer. On those shorter part times, anticipating when the timer is going to beep can make a big difference. Some people do it on purpose, but I don't think anyone can stop themselves from doing it subsconsciously if they use a fixed delay often enough.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Shot this tonight. I failed. It was in the two spots I thought I would, and one which I didn't but it made sense because I do very little practice in that area.
    Shot with my AllenM Gen5 G19 with RMR from Dale Fricke AIWB holster and t shirt concealment.

Stage 1: 1.61 (Fail on time, I knew this would be one of the problem areas.)
    Stage 2: .85 pass
    Stage 3: 2.97 pass
    Stage 4: 7.91 fail This one surprised me, but I guess it shouldn't. It takes a while to reload a gun with one hand if you don't stay current with it.
    Stage 5: 4.32 pass
    Stage 6: 3.87 pass
    Stage 7: 3.95 pass
    Stage 8: 2.89 pass
    Stage 9: 2.00 Pass got a little lucky here, should have used more of my time.
    Stage 10: Miss. Not a big surprise. I am not even sure where this gun hits at 50 with random practice ammo.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Shot this tonight. I failed. It was in the two spots I thought I would, and one which I didn't but it made sense because I do very little practice in that area.
    Shot with my AllenM Gen5 G19 with RMR from Dale Fricke AIWB holster and t shirt concealment.

Stage 1: 1.61 (Fail on time, I knew this would be one of the problem areas.)
    Stage 2: .85 pass
    Stage 3: 2.97 pass
    Stage 4: 7.91 fail This one surprised me, but I guess it shouldn't. It takes a while to reload a gun with one hand if you don't stay current with it.
    Stage 5: 4.32 pass
    Stage 6: 3.87 pass
    Stage 7: 3.95 pass
    Stage 8: 2.89 pass
    Stage 9: 2.00 Pass got a little lucky here, should have used more of my time.
    Stage 10: Miss. Not a big surprise. I am not even sure where this gun hits at 50 with random practice ammo.

You're definitely close on the two you where you missed the par times. Are you going to practice test periodically until you can pass all stages on demand? It seems like a good practice regimen in and of itself.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    You're definitely close on the two you where you missed the par times. Are you going to practice test periodically until you can pass all stages on demand? It seems like a good practice regimen in and of itself.

I think so. It is a pretty well rounded test. The reload one will be fairly easy to pass with a little work. The 50 yard shot isn't easy no matter how you look at it, but if I check to see where a particular load is hitting with that pistol I think it is doable. The 3 yard stage will actually be the hardest for me to do because of this hang up I have with always needing a sight picture.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I haven't tried it yet, but I know I can't make the time limit on #1 because of the draw and kneeling on #6.

On #4 are you doing the reload between your legs, or are you putting it in the holster to do the reload?

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I haven't tried it yet, but I know I can't make the time limit on #1 because of the draw and kneeling on #6.

On #4 are you doing the reload between your legs, or are you putting it in the holster to do the reload?

I went with between the legs because I thought it would be faster. I prefer in the holster if given the opportunity. (e.g. cover)

Top Bottom