• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DVS9MM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2015
    Zionsville
    I took this class yesterday with instructor Yan Guenette from Tim's in Westfield. Yan is a great instructor, and his class was safe, professional and full of informative, practical information. We covered draw, reloads, shooting on the move, shooting from the ground, malfunctions, pair drills and more. I've also taken a private lesson with Yan which was very helpful. Thus far, I've really only taken classed with two instructors in town who I feel are qualified and safe, so it's nice to now have a third option.

Attachments

• IMG_8356.jpg
      IMG_8356.jpg
      235 KB · Views: 24
    • IMG_8357.jpg
      IMG_8357.jpg
      89.6 KB · Views: 22

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I took this class yesterday with instructor Yan Guenette from Tim's in Westfield. Yan is a great instructor, and his class was safe, professional and full of informative, practical information. We covered draw, reloads, shooting on the move, shooting from the ground, malfunctions, pair drills and more. I've also taken a private lesson with Yan which was very helpful. Thus far, I've really only taken classed with two instructors in town who I feel are qualified and safe, so it's nice to now have a third option.

What are "pair drills"?

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    What are "pair drills"?
    I had the exact same thought. Team drills?

Probably referring to "controlled pairs". I'll try to make up a definition: Two shots on target from a semi-auto weapon with only one sight picture. Generally followed by a short "assess" period to check for effectiveness of the first two rounds.

If everybody who carried could reliably A-or B-zone place a controlled pair from concealment in <2 seconds, and get that done from most positions, we'd really have done something.

Colloquially referred to as a "double tap".

-Nate

Last edited:

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Probably referring to "controlled pairs". I'll try to make up a definition: Two shots on target from a semi-auto weapon with only one sight picture. Generally followed by a short "assess" period to check for effectiveness of the first two rounds.

If everybody who carried could reliably A-or B-zone place a controlled pair from concealment in <2 seconds, and get that done from most positions, we'd really have done something.

-Nate

Well thanks for that. It could be. Though since the class description lists team tactics, I think my guess is still in the running.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy

-Nate

I would offer a minor distinction:

Controlled pair is two shots with three sight pictures (one to start, one between, and don't forget to follow through).

Double tap is two shots, two sight pictures (none between shots, but still follow through on the sites).

I would also suggest that a well practiced shooter can get that sight picture prior to the second shot without using significant time.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I would offer a minor distinction:

Controlled pair is two shots with three sight pictures (one to start, one between, and don't forget to follow through).

Double tap is two shots, two sight pictures (none between shots, but still follow through on the sites).

I would also suggest that a well practiced shooter can get that sight picture prior to the second shot without using significant time.

I agree with your definition but wouldn't call it a minor distinction. I thought about pointing that out but you know how I hate sounding like a know it all.

Randy Harris

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    If we are going to go with the original definitions from way back in Fairbairn's time 2 shots was a double tap no matter how they were delivered.....

Jeff Cooper had a great dislike for imprecise language (me too) so he sought to give more precise terms that clearly identified the delivery of the shots.

Controlled Pair - 2 shots 2 clear picture perfect sight pictures (as Jackson mentions 3 if you count follow through)

Dedicated Pair - 2 shots 1 clear picture and 1 flash sight picture (and then another clear if you count follow through)

Hammer - 2 shots 1 sight picture (what most people are trying to say when they use the term double tap) This method is now referred to also as an Accelerated Pair.

But also keep in mind that Modern Technique involved a lot of going to the Guard Position (low ready) to assess instead of the more modern "Assess through your sights" (or as some say "check your work through your sights") that we practice now.

I use the term "Jack Hammer" sometimes when discussing this in class to denote 3 or 4 shot bursts typically fired from clinch distance out to 3 or so yards....

Last edited:

DVS9MM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2015
    Zionsville
    The pair drills were working with another shooter to eliminate a threat. Taking turns shooting, how to move and communicate with a partner, covering each other during reloads, etc.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The pair drills were working with another shooter to eliminate a threat. Taking turns shooting, how to move and communicate with a partner, covering each other during reloads, etc.

Thanks for letting us know! Sounds like you covered a lot of material in one day!

1stLast&Always

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 14, 2016
    Indy No Place
    Would you share who the other two instructors are? Or PM? Thanks!

Top Bottom