• ...and so much more!
  • 1stLast&Always

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 14, 2016
    Indy No Place
    September 15, 2018 11a-3p. Cost: $75.
    Self-Preservation Training (Noblesville, IN)

Instructor: Jeff Riley. Jeff has multiple skills such as open hand, stick fighting, Muay Thai, BJJ, boxing, grappling, ground fighting, and edged weapons, as well as extensive law enforcement credentials.

The main objective of this course is to address violent assaulter(s) in close quarters who will likely get to you before you can get to your handgun. This could be a surprise attack with hands, a knife, or firearm. Skills gained can also be used in situations where de-escalation was unsuccessful in deterring the threat. As Jeff explained, guns often come out in defense too early, and knowing if- and when to deploy them is a critical skill developed in this training.

In the beginning the class was welcomed and there was a brief orientation, with safety and legal considerations.
    Jeff explained he likes to train an area and then practice, rather than train multiple things and pile them into an exercise at the end. I found this useful as well as suitable to the “chunk” style of learning with practical application focusing on stress testing the one skill we had just learned.

There was a total of four students, so we paired off in twos. I got to work with Jackson from INGO, as well as a couple guys from Jeff’s previous classes who are in law enforcement. Jackson is quite knowledgeable with tons of his own training and was helpful in guiding some of my techniques. Our classmates lent their own experience and skills and provided us with further examples to learn from.

It was demonstrated by all how quickly an attacker can close on you from distances such as 20, 10 and 6 feet. We learned diagonal escape and fire approaches to the 10 and 2, and some identification of threat psychology. For skills demonstration we were asked to draw red guns first and then later fire with airsoft pistols. I used my M&P 9 version, with Glock 19 versions for the other guys. The airsoft added realism. My pistol functioned flawlessly and delivered some stinging hits on my opponent (see pictures). The Glock types also delivered nice bruises to me when I was in the attacker role and the guys got to know when their hits were effective. Several of us got to experience error and work through that too. See if you can find the “flying pistol” in the photos.

Side note from one simulation: Jeff must have really done some advanced skills training with one of our classmates. During an escape, the defender tripped while running, rolled out of it and was back on target without missing a beat.

Later there was more in-depth work with some grappling type maneuvers, and we learned that some of the most effective techniques involve being “up close and personal”.
    I enjoyed the surprises of this part of the course. It reminded me that a gun is a tool, and there are multiple ways to defend oneself without every having to use one. Jeff shared a ton of things that can be done in a short time, and really didn’t even go as in-depth as he could have, which is highly encouraging from a learner’s standpoint. I left the course feeling I got my money’s worth and that I’d like to train with everyone again.

Jeff can do private lessons and is more than willing to help anyone create an individualized plan. He can recommend other trainers if you so desire. I liked that his versatile style and no BS approach gave me fast acquisition of skills. Going forward, I still have some grappling skills to practice. The best part is I will remember a few simple things that can save my life. I also appreciated Jackson's questions and Jeff’s recommendations on other trainers and explanation of areas in Indy where training could be done.

ank180.jpg
    Escaping and firing-1stLast&Always (r).
    21azcp1.jpg
    Jackson closes in on a defender.
    atnjbl.jpg
    Defender stops his attacker's punches
    sz90z7.jpg
    Jackson (l) 1stL&A (r)
    bf29us.jpg
    Hits on my attacker

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    1) Solid AAR

2) My schedule sucks or I'd have been there

3) Great to know Jeff is sharing with everyone wanting / needing to learn and practice!

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Later there was more in-depth work with some grappling type maneuvers, and we learned that some of the most effective techniques involve being “up close and personal”.

​Can you name a few for us? I am curious to see what is on the list as most effective and if time and space permits why?

Selfpreservation

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Central
    Thanks for the write up. Glad you enjoyed it got something out of the class. You & Jackson both did great! Obviously this is a business for me, but I can't thank you enough for giving up time to come train with us!

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy

​Can you name a few for us? I am curious to see what is on the list as most effective and if time and space permits why?

I'll try to outline the general things learned without giving away the course material. The course built up to one progression/series starting with a default cover to enter on a striking opponent, a basic method for tying up arms to avoid strikes, basic pummeling from/for a familiar reference position (over/under was used as the reference position), then what I'll call a framing method was shown to create space and opportunity to draw off the pummel.

I don't recall this necessarily being billed as "the most effective" method. It certainly wasn't portrayed as a panacea. Just a basic series that could be taught, drilled, and tested in a 4 hr block. There was definitely discussion about the specific situations where it might or might not apply.

The why of the specific default cover was articulated. The why of starting from or getting to the over/under was less clear, but it seemed to me that it is a reference position that is easy start in and to drill for someone who has done zero grappling. It is also a position that is likely achievable if you crash in to a punching opponent and start hooking on to arms to tie up punches. And this is how it was used in the drill. Cover, close, tie up arms, pummel, frame, draw. Obviously there were specifics to each step, but that's the basic outline.

There was no in depth treatment of grappling such as you might be picturing from the quoted description.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom