• ...and so much more!
  • Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Looking to the INGO experts for some advice. Secured my spot for Revere's Riders carbine course in December. I've never taken a "carbine course", but have a good sense of how to use a rifle. Looking for some advice for a first timer. I've taken defensive pistol courses and always done fine. (Even passed FBI marksman exam once). I intend on using (my only AR) a Colt 6920 w/ eotech 517 & mbus pro BUIS (A2 front). No frills set up, just a sling and mlok handguard. I have a plate carrier that can hold 4 30rd pmags I'll use as well for extra ammo.

Thanks in advance for any information from the seasoned veterans of such courses. Really looking forward to learning some skills.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I have attended two of the Revere Riders “carbine” events.
    They are a low pressure events if you can safely operate the weapon and have a “good” 50 meter zero you will have a great time.
    I cannot believe they are $100 I have paid much more for less.

If you can practice “controlled pairs” and shooting at various distances, rapid reloads.
    This class also gives you a chance to see if your equipment works make sure you clean and lube your rifle beforehand.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Take your rifle as is. Classes are a great opportunity to figure out what works and what doesn’t. I have completed several courses using carbines and I dont own a plate carrier or even a magazine pouch. I just stick the spare mag in my back pocket. I do have a Woolrich operators vest I picked up on sale. I figure if I need a Carbine I won’t have a mag pouch on me anyway.

Gun
    2 Point sling
    extra magazines (load half, leave some empty)
    ammo (I recommend putting it in an ammo can)
    sights zero to 50 yards. I have used Reddots and irons with no problems.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    I do use a 2 point. I zero at 25m as opposed to 50, based on the following pics logic. Any input to the contrary?
    ce636701b3d999553d555185cf0904c3.jpg

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I do use a 2 point. I zero at 25m as opposed to 50, based on the following pics logic. Any input to the contrary?
    ce636701b3d999553d555185cf0904c3.jpg

For an AR, the height of the sights over the bore combined with the external ballistics point to the longest point blank distance being a 50 yard near zero and 200m (or thereabouts, depending to the gun and ammo) far zero. It produces the flattest trajectory over the useful distances of the 5.56 cartridge of all of the options. So for hitting the upper center torso of a human, you won't really have to worry about hold over or under out to 200 m.

If you want to learn more, google Improved Battle Sight Zero and/or Chuck Santose.

If you only have 25 yards available, you should zero an AR 1-1/8 inches low at 25 yards (if you can shoot a group well enough for that level of precision, otherwise about an inch low). Then later when you have access to longer distances you can verify at 50 yards and also where your far zero is. The latter should be in the 200m/220 yards neighborhood.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Excellent info. Thank you.
    For an AR, the height of the sights over the bore combined with the external ballistics point to the longest point blank distance being a 50 yard near zero and 200m (or thereabouts, depending to the gun and ammo) far zero. It produces the flattest trajectory over the useful distances of the 5.56 cartridge of all of the options. So for hitting the upper center torso of a human, you won't really have to worry about hold over or under out to 200 m.

If you want to learn more, google Improved Battle Sight Zero and/or Chuck Santose.

If you only have 25 yards available, you should zero an AR 1-1/8 inches low at 25 yards (if you can shoot a group well enough for that level of precision, otherwise about an inch low). Then later when you have access to longer distances you can verify at 50 yards and also where your far zero is. The latter should be in the 200m/220 yards neighborhood.

Top Bottom