Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

User Info Menu

Try some of these:

pistol-training.com » Drills

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mrrogers91 View Post
    i havent taken any classes. im interested in taking some i just am not interested in sitting in a classroom for 2 hours to discuss the basic firearm maintenance and handling ive been doing for years
    Take the class(es). You will be amazed and what you will come away with. Take classes with highly respected trainers that are local to you and take classes from nationally respected trainers. In most cases you will learn in usually a few hours what you will never learn on your own or from a buddy down the street. I paid for and attended a Gunsite Academy course for me and Mrs. Saw that with travel, meals, ammo, etc. was very costly and was afraid I wasn't going to get my "moneys worth". Literally, two hours into the first day I told the wife," If I don't learn anything else the rest of the week, we've gotten our moneys worth." Money well spent and now we try to take one class a year and have never felt shortchanged in any way. Just train with people who have a reputation in the industry, not Uncle Joe's divorced wifes first cousin who may not know any more than his students.

User Info Menu

Dot torture drill is a good back yard trainer.

Any classes with live fire are not only great sources of info, they are really fun. There is always a classroom portion but only a fraction of the time. The rest is on the range.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
    "You only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent"-Fundamentals of chess 1883

User Info Menu

over the last few months i have been really focusing on being intentional with my training instead of just going to the range and shooting guns at paper.

I have purchased a LASERLYTE cartridge for my edc and have been working on my draw. aim. shoot.
    breaking down each step and working on it until it is a smooth fluid motion then putting all three together and ive noticed some serious improvements.

what other ways do you guys train and with which weapons
    Intentional is a very good way to go about training. Figure out what you are trying to accomplish and then have a plan every time you go to the range. Keep track of your progress. Dry fire multiple times a week, preferably daily. Take some classes. Enter some competitions.

Do you have a shot timer? It is hard to measure progress without one.
    Last edited by cedartop; 1 Week Ago at 08:44.
    Michael Swisher

Plinker

User Info Menu

As mentioned before learning from an accomplished instructor (and not just some basic NRA certified hack who can't shoot any better than you can) will cut YEARS off of your journey. What you can learn in just a few hours from a competent instructor can often be the equivalent of years of trying to "figure it our on your own".

I used to be amazed at all the people who were poor shooters who couldn't figure out why they practiced a lot but never got any better....when it was suggested to them that they take a class so that they could learn from someone who can teach them to perform at a higher level they usually reply with "I grew up around guns" .....wow really? I grew up around electricity yet that did not make me an electrician... I also grew up around automobiles yet someone still had to teach me to drive.....Or they would say they'd "rather spend that money on another gun"....so now they'd have ANOTHER gun that they couldn't shoot any better than the ones they already had.... Like I said I used to be amazed now I'm just numb to it. A lot of people want to do something...until they actually have to DO SOMETHING. Those who want to get better will seek out those who can make them better. Those that don't will usually spend their shooting life on a plateau of mediocrity at best.

Up in your area I'd say get with Coach (Aron Bright) or CedarTop (Mike Swisher). Both of those guys know what they are doing, are accomplished shooters and teachers and can help you get where you are wanting to be.
    Certified Suarez International, Rangemaster, NRA and TN Handgun Permit Instructor

Plinker

User Info Menu

Originally I posted this thread for insights on how everyone trains at home or at the range, but you guys have made it very clear that the classes are very important to take.

Cedartop -- I kind of splurged on a glock I've been wanting last week but i will be purchasing a shot timer by the end of the month and take that to range with me everytime I go.
    You're a trainer arent you? where do you hold your classes?

Randy Harris -- You are 100% right. Im just going to swallow my pride and do some classes and training.

So I will be taking a class or few at IAC (Indy Arms Company in Indianapolis) I have also registered for classes at front sight in NV. (is anybody else going late next spring? id love to be able to save on lodging and have a buddy for going to the bars in the evening lol)

you guys rock

User Info Menu

Originally I posted this thread for insights on how everyone trains at home or at the range
    That is practice, not training. Without training, practice can reinforce bad habits and be counterproductive.
    If you’re free you’ll never see the walls.

Patriot, Pater, Plinker obijohn's Avatar

User Info Menu

i havent taken any classes. im interested in taking some i just am not interested in sitting in a classroom for 2 hours to discuss the basic firearm maintenance and handling ive been doing for years
    ACT's DP101 class has a lecture component, but the lecture is about defensive use of firearms. We do talk about "the boring stuff" when asked.
    Rifleman
    NRA Endowment Member
    NRA Certified Instructor
    USPSA NROI

Adaptive Consulting & Training
    Riley Conservation Club

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To Prevail...you must ACT!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2