What is the best handgun training for someone new to conceal carry?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jclemens

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2018
    Mooresville, IN
    I am 19 years old, have my LTCH, and recently bought my first handgun (Smith and Wesson Shield 9mm). I have never shot a handgun before, but have owned a shotgun since I was 15 so I'm familiar with the firearm safety rules. I read on some spots on here that the basic handgun class at point blank range isn't any good? So I have been looking into taking the 8 hour basic pistol course offered by Guy Relford, although looking online it there isn't any Classes scheduled currently. I have also looked into the 4 hour basic pistol class offered by Aron Bright (Coach), but there isn't any listed on his website currently either. Im looking for a good fundamental class that would make me competent to carry daily, but would also include a firm foundation I could build upon in future classes. If there is other classes you recommend, I'm open to those also.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I don't think you could be in a better position to start with Aron Bright. He's a great instructor and you won't have to unlearn bad habits. Call him up and talk to him. I'm sure you can work something out.

I can't speak for the training at Point Blank, but comparing them to Aron is like comparing a bicycle to a Harley Davidson. Not even in the same league.

devildog70

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Regardless of who you go to for initial training, realize it is a perishable skill. Continue getting training. Also, Guy's Essentials of Indiana Gun Law is an excellent class to have on-board.

jclemens

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2018
    Mooresville, IN
    Define "competent."

I would say being able to hold the gun properly, which after that is just practice in terms of getting more accurate. But something that would give me the bare minimum for carrying. So that then I can practice those skills, and also practice drawing. After that I would like to take a defensive pistol class or whatever is considered the next level class next spring. I should also note that I would like to continually training. I don’t want to stay at the bare minimum, but realize I need to start somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    USCCA with Brett Dicks Is local and offers several courses.

Here is his Ingo post

[h=2]USCCA Certified Firearms Instructor Course[/h]
    Hello INGO Members,

There will be a USCCA Certified Firearms Instructor Course offered at the Bartholomew County Library in Columbus Indiana on October 20th and 21st. If you have been thinking of becoming a USCCA Instructor, this is the opportunity to do it. There are only a few USCCA Training Counselors in the State of Indiana and very few courses offered per year. This certification will authorize you to teach three courses: Basic Pistol, Concealed Carry and Home Defense. For further information please contact me by email at brett_dicks@hotmail.com.

Best Regards,

Brett Dicks, MS, CPO, SSMP​

Send PM

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I teach a lot of Intro to Firearms and Ladies Guided at Parabellum but not all.

Send me and email and we can work out a private instruction session and customize the session to your needs. I am going to be at USPSA nationals from the 17-29 of October. So that has to be worked around.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I won't say anything bad about Point Blank's training. But I did have a lady contact me after taking a class down there. She was not happy with her accuracy. We talked for a half hour. She made the comment that I was telling her things that were the opposite of Point Blank's instructor. I asked her why she was here. she said so that she could hit the target. I told her to try what I said. After a half hour on the range she was very happy and a believer. I think the results say enough.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I won't say anything bad about Point Blank's training. But I did have a lady contact me after taking a class down there. She was not happy with her accuracy. We talked for a half hour. She made the comment that I was telling her things that were the opposite of Point Blank's instructor. I asked her why she was here. she said so that she could hit the target. I told her to try what I said. After a half hour on the range she was very happy and a believer. I think the results say enough.

Well, now you've got me curious what they were telling her.

jclemens

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2018
    Mooresville, IN
    I teach a lot of Intro to Firearms and Ladies Guided at Parabellum but not all.

Send me and email and we can work out a private instruction session and customize the session to your needs. I am going to be at USPSA nationals from the 17-29 of October. So that has to be worked around.

Will you be teaching the intro to firearms class this Saturday, the 13th? Or know who will be teaching it? Also do you recommend I start on the intro to firearms or do you have a different class that would better suit me?

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I am 19 years old, have my LTCH, and recently bought my first handgun (Smith and Wesson Shield 9mm). I have never shot a handgun before, but have owned a shotgun since I was 15 so I'm familiar with the firearm safety rules. I read on some spots on here that the basic handgun class at point blank range isn't any good? So I have been looking into taking the 8 hour basic pistol course offered by Guy Relford, although looking online it there isn't any Classes scheduled currently. I have also looked into the 4 hour basic pistol class offered by Aron Bright (Coach), but there isn't any listed on his website currently either. Im looking for a good fundamental class that would make me competent to carry daily, but would also include a firm foundation I could build upon in future classes. If there is other classes you recommend, I'm open to those also.

1. I've taken a couple of the classes at Point Blank and they are very basic.
    2. They are a starting point but nowhere near the detail to attention you'd get from "Coach" Aron Bright, from what I've heard.

Steel and wood

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2016
    Tipton
    With coach you will get some very experience advice. And will want to take more classes from him. He also offers some great carry gun matches that anyone can do and should do with your carry gun and your equipment to test your skills.
    You will be glad that you took some classes before you get some bad habits.

Selfpreservation

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Central

We offer a four hour "Basic Handgun" class. Our class covers what you would expect; grip, stance, sight alignment and picture, ammo selection, carry options, etc., but we also cover the legal issues of carry and use of force. If you are wanting an 8 hour class, we can do that also, and would just pick up where the basic class leaves off.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    USCCA with Brett Dicks Is local and offers several courses.

Here is his Ingo post

USCCA Certified Firearms Instructor Course

Hello INGO Members,

There will be a USCCA Certified Firearms Instructor Course offered at the Bartholomew County Library in Columbus Indiana on October 20th and 21st. If you have been thinking of becoming a USCCA Instructor, this is the opportunity to do it. There are only a few USCCA Training Counselors in the State of Indiana and very few courses offered per year. This certification will authorize you to teach three courses: Basic Pistol, Concealed Carry and Home Defense. For further information please contact me by email at brett_dicks@hotmail.com.

Best Regards,

Brett Dicks, MS, CPO, SSMP​

Send PM

I've taken a class with Brett (both of us were students). He's a great guy and a great shooter. You can't go wrong there either.

Top Bottom