• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbizzle3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Hey all. I just started as an armed security guard, so my SOPs for an active shooter situation are somewhat different now when I'm on the clock. What training groups or companies in the Indianapolis Metro should I look at to get some more handgun combat training?

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    Not sure what you need is provided in Indy. One option (if travel is an option) would be Shivworks AMIS class (Armed Movement In Structures), but the next public offering is in AZ in Feb of '19.

You may also consider looking at training options at TDI in Ohio and The Site in IL.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    If your employer expects you to respond to an active shooter, I would expect they would offer training. Indiana law enforcement has a standard procedure/training for officers. It might be good for security to see it so they have an idea how officers will respond.

devildog70

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    If your employer expects you to respond to an active shooter, I would expect they would offer training. Indiana law enforcement has a standard procedure/training for officers. It might be good for security to see it so they have an idea how officers will respond.

I've been on IMPD for 20+ years. In that time, we've received training on active shooter response exactly twice. Neither of which has been in the last ten years. It's not as standardized as you'd think.

devildog70

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011

A few of us have been to FLETC's Active Shooter Threat Instructor Training Program. A few others have been to other classes like ALERTT and ALICE. I know a group of us are working on a program to sell the department on, but wheels turn slowly.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Isn't ALERTT the one from Texas State?

If so, I thought that was lacking. It might've been my instructor but myself and the department I work with didn't get much.

devildog70

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Isn't ALERTT the one from Texas State?

If so, I thought that was lacking. It might've been my instructor but myself and the department I work with didn't get much.

Not sure. It's hard to keep up with all of the programs out there. ALERTT, ALICE, MACTAC, and then a few dozen others marketed to schools and churches. I was pretty impressed with FLETC's.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

Wow indeed. I have a very close personal friend who is an active shooter instructor. I have seen the PowerPoint and scenarios they use with simnitions. I know other local PDs appear to use the same materials. I assumed that material was widely distributed/updated and reviewed by other departments

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    One would think ALL departments would be on top of this? Especially since ALL authorities seem to want to turn their heads on problem mental youths, until they start shooting...

devildog70

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    One would think ALL departments would be on top of this? Especially since ALL authorities seem to want to turn their heads on problem mental youths, until they start shooting...

Time, money, and manpower. Everyone has their pet projects they want us to train in. There is always something. We don't pay OT for training, and we are way below strength in terms of numbers. That means we have to pull folks off the (already short) shifts to go to training. And if that training isn't something a given group is clamoring for, it ain't gonna happen.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Time, money, and manpower. Everyone has their pet projects they want us to train in. There is always something. We don't pay OT for training, and we are way below strength in terms of numbers. That means we have to pull folks off the (already short) shifts to go to training. And if that training isn't something a given group is clamoring for, it ain't gonna happen.

Thank you for your work, sir!

How could us citizens best help to encourage departments to adapt this training as a rutine?

I don't mean to overtalk this sentiment, but nearly if not everytime there is an active shooter they are a known problem that has been ignored by the authorities. Active shooters are going to become more abundant until we learn to hold these authorities accountable. That doesnt seem to want to happen soon?:dunno:

devildog70

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Thank you for your work, sir!

How could us citizens best help to encourage departments to adapt this training as a rutine?

I wish I knew.

I don't mean to overtalk this sentiment, but nearly if not everytime there is an active shooter they are a known problem that has been ignored by the authorities. Active shooters are going to become more abundant until we learn to hold these authorities accountable. That doesnt seem to want to happen soon?:dunno:

You're preaching to the choir. I literally work part time gigs with the sole purpose of funding training - 24 hrs a week. I hit 10+ classes a year, on my own dime, usually burning my vacation time to go. Most cops don't like training, and they absolutely will not do it if they aren't getting paid to do it. When the cops aren't asking for it, and when the populace assumes we're getting it, the department doesn't push it. Another example is Tac med / TCCC. Wejust started giving recruits a whole two hours of it. Veterans got a 5 min class on tq application from IEMS. That's it. The department didn't even buy us IFAKS. A handful of us were carrying them and had sought out training on our own. The rest of the dept waited until a local church donated IFAKS.

Like I said, some of us are pushing both Tac Med and Active Shooter training, and are developing coursework to push it out. But, it's going to be a huge uphill battle. The department is trying very hard to do all training on-line, and some stuff doesn't work that way. Look at our training records, and you'll see checks next to "Tac Med" and "active Shooter." That means we watched a video.. wish I had the answers.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    What a shame. A small trama kit can be purchased for $25. It would not be much but better then a dirty sock and a cell phone.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    TDI has a couple live fire shoot houses and a FOF house. They include a fair bit of movement and search stuff in several of their classes. I've taken their Partner Tactics which included a good treatment of searching with a buddy.

I've also taken the Active Shooter class, which may better suit your interests. I left my thoughts on it on this AAR:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...er-response-training.html?257168=#post3667588

Selfpreservation

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Central
    Hey all. I just started as an armed security guard, so my SOPs for an active shooter situation are somewhat different now when I'm on the clock. What training groups or companies in the Indianapolis Metro should I look at to get some more handgun combat training?

We offer active shooter (active killer) response training as well as combative handgun. You can check out our website for more information or contact me directly.

Good luck either way!

Top Bottom