• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    So, I took a long break from any serious shooting. Over the past 3 years or so, my volume of practice time and rounds down range have diminished significantly, and my skills with it. Things that used to seem automatic are now a struggle or impossible. I'm embarrassed to see how far I've fallen.

BUT! That just means it's time to get back at it and put in some work.

One of the areas I am struggling with is really seeing the sights the way I need to, and following through on the sights. Seeing them lift and calling the shot? Not even close. I've begun to wonder if my visual acuity hasn't actually declined.

So I've come to the board for suggestions. What are the best drills, dry or live, to work on really seeing the sights? Any favorite methods to drill follow through? Lay it on me. I need to fix this problem.

I have other fundamental issues creeping in, too. My trigger control is atrocious and I have a random anticipation problem, but I have methods to improve those things. I'm still open to suggestions though.

One of the big problems I've been having too, is letting it get in my head too much. Overthinking. I seem to do better when I'm just shooting away and not worried about it.

Last edited:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    also, shooting groups.
    and no target, but just trying to track and steer FS dumping into berm.
    bill drills (varying distances and round counts)
    stoeger's "accelerator" has become a favorite of mine.

-rvb

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Shooting groups one shot at a time is a good way to practice follow-through. Either return to the holster or drop to a ready position between each shot. It will definitely help with the tendency to "relax" or look over the top of the gun for your bullet hole when firing what you believe is the last shot.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Shooting groups one shot at a time is a good way to practice follow-through. Either return to the holster or drop to a ready position between each shot. It will definitely help with the tendency to "relax" or look over the top of the gun for your bullet hole when firing what you believe is the last shot.

I was thinking more along the lines of what RVB had posted: longer strings of multiple shots. I have the most trouble following through on the singles. On longer strings I have to stay on the sights.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I was thinking more along the lines of what RVB had posted: longer strings of multiple shots. I have the most trouble following through on the singles. On longer strings I have to stay on the sights.

?
    If you can’t do it slow, then how do you expect to do it fast?
    Strings of multiple shots are just collections of individual shots.
    if you struggle on the single shots most, then yes, focus there, where your weakness is.
    groups are important, it’s why they were also on my list.
    its ALL important for shot calling and sight alignment in speed shooting.

-rvb

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    Distance change up is my favorite drill. It will definitely expose weaknesses in the areas you mentioned. It's easy to vary to different situations and difficulties.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    ?
    If you can’t do it slow, then how do you expect to do it fast?
    Strings of multiple shots are just collections of individual shots.
    if you struggle on the single shots most, then yes, focus there, where your weakness is.
    groups are important, it’s why they were also on my list.
    its ALL important for shot calling and sight alignment in speed shooting.

-rvb

This is a good point. Shooting groups has been my main approach to the problem without as much improvement as I was hoping to see. I just need to put in more time with better mental focus.

For whatever reason, if I'm shooting a string of multiples I tend to stay in it mentally looking for the sights, putting them where they need to be. Not fast, really. Just multiples. If it's a single, my brain quits on me early, I guess? It's a mental focus issue. I will be working on groups at various distances at the range today, as suggested.

Don't think I'd come asking then ignore the advice. :)

Last edited:

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy

I will do this starting today.

Latewatch

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Henryville, IN
    One drill I like to do for this is five 1 shot draws, followed by a 5 shot group, followed by five 1 shot draws. 15 rounds total on the same target. Bullet on a Bullet. Once you're shooting something akin to ragged holes at a given distance/time, increase the distance or decrease the time and repeat. Forces diligence on the sights and on the trigger.

Top Bottom