Plinker
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2011
    Columbus
    USCCA Certified Instructor Course March 30th and 31st

Hello INGO,

Are you interested in becoming a firearms trainer who can provide their students with a reliable and relevant education? No matter where you are in your firearms training, we have an instructor option for you! By becoming a USCCA Instructor, you can arm your students with the highest quality materials to ensure they know how to safely handle their firearm.

The Hoosier Hills Rifle and Pistol Club is hosting the 2-day Instructor Certification Course in Columbus Indiana on March 30th and 31st

For more information just private message, call or text me at 734-277-5985. I am here to answer all your questions and guide you through the process to become a Certified Instructor through a nationally recognized organization.

Best Regards,

Brett

USCCA Certified Training Counselor

Last edited:

1stLast&Always

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 14, 2016
    Indy No Place
    Hello INGO,

Are you interested in becoming a firearms trainer who can provide their students with a reliable and relevant education? No matter where you are in your firearms training, we have an instructor option for you! By becoming a USCCA Instructor, you can arm your students with the highest quality materials to ensure they know how to safely handle their firearm.

The Hoosier Hills Rifle and Pistol Club is hosting the 2-day Instructor Certification Course in Columbus Indiana on January 26th and 27th.

For more information just private message, call or text me at 734-277-5985. I am here to answer all your questions and guide you through the process to become a Certified Instructor through a nationally recognized organization.

Best Regards,

Brett

USCCA Certified Training Counselor

Sounds like a great way to start off the new year!
    Can you share a bit of your background and what graduates will be able to teach after the course?
    Thanks!

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I have a few questions as well.

What is the advantage of going with certification under USCCA as opposed to some other certification? How does it benefit the new instructor? Is there a shooting requirement to pass in order to become and instructor?

Corbon

Plinker
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2011
    Columbus
    Hello,

Allow me to answer the most important question first. After graduating the course, the new instructor will be certified to teach three different courses. Concealed Carry Fundamentals, Basic Handgun, and Home Defense Fundamental. Three classes for you to teach with one Instructor Certification Course.

As for a bit of my background, here it is:

A variety of experience in both public and private law enforcement including: Private Sector Law Enforcement and Security (Contract and In House), High Risk Facility Protection, County Sheriff Deputy, Close Protection Services/Personal Security Detail/Executive Protection (Positions Held: Tactical Commander, Advance, Agent-In-Charge, and Shift Lead) including the former Director of a State level (EPD) Executive Protection Detail Team, Law Enforcement Level Combatives Instructor, and as an Instructor of Close Protection Detail/Executive Protection Tactics.

Attended various instructor schools to include: NRA Law Enforcement Activities Division: Patrol Rifle Instructor School, NRA Law Enforcement Activities Division: Handgun Instructor School, NRA Basic Handgun Instructor, PPCT Management Systems: Defensive Tactics Instructor School, PPCT Management Systems: Spontaneous Knife Defense Instructor School, Defense Technology: Chemical Projectile Instructor School, USCCA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor Program and a Certified Firearms Instructor with the International Association of Law Enforcement Firearms Instructors (IALEFI).

Attended all my protective detail operations training at Blackwater Worldwide now known as Academi, BSR-Small Motorcade Operations and EVO-Emergency Vehicle Operations, Wayne County Regional Police Training Center, Public Safety Training Association, Dave Spaulding Handgun Combatives School, Vogel Dynamics, Reasonable Force Training and U.S. Department of Homeland Security just to name a few.

I have completed an Associate of Science in Criminal Justice, a Bachelor of Science and a Master’s of Science from the DeVoe School of Business at IWU. Professional industry board certifications from the International Foundation for Protection Officers as a Certified Protection Officer and the Security Supervision & Management Program.

Last edited:

Corbon

Plinker
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2011
    Columbus
    Hello again Coach. Since I am also a NRA Law Enforcement and regular NRA Instructor I believe there are some advantages to obtaining a USCCA Instructor Certification.

1. The curriculum is professional, up to date and includes a variety of topics that one would have to take several NRA courses to get.
    2. The new instructor gets to teach three courses with his/her new certification instead on only one.
    3. Once the new instructor is certified, he/she can expand the classes they offer to include Women's Handgun and Self Defense Fundamentals, Countering the Mass Shooter Threat, Emergency First Aid Fundamentals without having to go back to a Training Counselor to take a class (money and time saver).

How does this benefit the new instructor? Right out the gate he/she has three different courses that they can teach for the cost of one certification. Adding the prior listed certifications are simple, less expensive, and require less time invested.

Also, there is a shooting requirement that must be passed before a certification can be issued.

Last edited:

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Hello again Coach. Since I am also a NRA Law Enforcement and regular NRA Instructor I believe there are some advantages to obtaining a USCCA Instructor Certification.

1. The curriculum is professional, up to date and includes a variety of topics that one would have to take several NRA courses to get.
    2. The new instructor gets to teach three courses with his/her new certification instead on only one.
    3. Once the new instructor is certified, he/she can expand the classes they offer to include Women's Handgun and Self Defense Fundamentals, Countering the Mass Shooter Threat, Emergency First Aid Fundamentals without having to go back to a Training Counselor to take a class (money and time saver).

How does this benefit the new instructor? Right out the gate he/she has three different courses that they can teach for the cost of one certification. Adding the prior listed certifications are simple, less expensive, and require less time invested.

Also, there is a shooting requirement that must be passed before a certification can be issued.
    Seems like this might be a better served service if a prerequisite was required for the student to master the fundamentals of shooting first and then train for what may happen? There can be no teaching without learning so shouldn't we select our instructors on What they can do or how they compete? I apologize as I have never taken this course and maybe this is covered so therefore I too have questions.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Can you elaborate on the "shooting requirement"? Timed?, number of shots on target? distance? shooting with an acceptable carry gun or anything the student prefers (22LR?) My feeling is an instructor should be able to demonstrate what they are teaching and I've found that some NRA instructors can not.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

Corbon

Plinker
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2011
    Columbus
    Can you elaborate on the "shooting requirement"? Timed?, number of shots on target? distance? shooting with an acceptable carry gun or anything the student prefers (22LR?) My feeling is an instructor should be able to demonstrate what they are teaching and I've found that some NRA instructors can not.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

Hi Aron and Trapper Jim,

The live fire qualification for this is very similar to that of other entry level instructor certifications. The instructor candidate is graded on two areas, one being the safe and appropriate gun handling, the other is shot placement at various distances. The target used is the USCCA's with about a 8" center area (PNZ, High Center Chest, Center Mass).

1st String - Distance is 15 feet, one round.

2nd String - Distance is 15 feet, ten rounds fired at a slow pace.

3rd String - Distance is 21 feet, ten rounds fired at a moderately fast but controlled pace.

4th String - Distance is 45 feet, ten rounds fired at a moderately fast but controlled pace.

The candidate must score at lease 80 percent or better and demonstrate proper/safe gun handling skills.

In addition to this, the candidate has numerous teach backs to perform demonstrating themselves as a trusted subject matter expert, properly manage student questions appropriately and timely, Professional speaking and presentation style, eye contact and engagement, presenting the content on the PowerPoint and videos without getting lost, and avoiding distracting habits or signs of nervousness. In addition, a written examination is given where 80 percent must be accomplished.

The Training Counselor has a lot to do with the candidates success in the program. If the student does not graduate then there is remedial work that must be completed and follow-up sessions with the TC before certification can be obtained. Once candidates graduate the TC is considered "theirs" as long as they maintain their instructor certification. So the USCCA really considers the two day class the starting point of the relationship between and responsibilities of the TC to the Instructor.

Each TC handles this responsibility a little bit differently based on their own personal knowledge, skills and resources. For my Instructors, I extend my services to help them teach their courses until they have obtained a high level of competency in both presentation and managing a live range. At least twice per year I offer closed Instructor Development courses to help them increase competency in various firearms skills (i.e. presentation, reloads, etc.) and advanced skills in running live ranges and courses of fire.

From the start I emphasize to my new Instructors that this is the beginning of their personal development in becoming the best instructor they can be. As Bruce Siddle said, "The instructor's competence may be the difference between the life and death of the student or the general public. Instructors have a moral and legal obligation to constantly research methods to enhance training and, ultimately, to assure the survival of their students". So I also included a segment in the class where we discuss development opportunities that will assist them in accelerating their professional growth. Another important topic I cover (and by this I mean not in the USCCA curriculum) is fitness. A critical incident is an athletic endeavor and higher levels of performance are only obtained when one is both highly fit and highly athletic.

So while there are no defined and measurable prerequisites for this, please keep in mind that this is a entry-level instructor certification. Not everyone qualifies to be a USCCA Instructor or teaches the mandatory students per year needed to maintain certification. Unlike my civilian NRA certification where I just pay my maintenance fee to keep my instructor certs, the USCCA requires that you teach 20 students per year in order to maintain certification.

There are other Instructor Certifications that the USCCA offers, such as the Defensive Shooting Fundamentals Level 1 and Level 2, that have mandatory prerequisites in order to attend. These require high levels of dedication/work to obtain and mandate the instructor teach more students and classes per year to maintain. There are other schools such as the International Association of Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor, SigArms Academy Instructor Certification, NRA Law Enforcement Activities Division Instructor Certification. These certifications require various prerequisites while having more difficult qualifications. However, they are more advanced instructor schools and therefore have different requirements placed on the candidate.

I think we all would like to see these entry level instructor programs include more personal skill development. However these are instructor development programs not shooting schools. Every firearms instructor school I have ever attended did more classroom work then skill building, and rightfully so. Should an Instructor be able to perform the skills they teach? Yes, I agree with you. But it really depends on how long the instructor has been teaching. I expect more from a instructor with three years experience then someone who is only six months certified.

It is a learn and grow process for every instructor and we all take on the challenge with different appetites to achieve our best.

Thanks for the questions. I hope I have answered them and provided some food for thought. Let me know if you are interested in attending the class.

Last edited:

NWIs&wShield

Plinker
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2017
    NWI
    I can personally attest and strongly recommend Brett's instructor course, and the USCCA material.
    I took my course with him just last year, and am rapidly building my own teaching business, and even looking at some construction opportunities for a classroom/retail/range building.
    In my own assessment, there is no comparison of the USCCA material, it stands alone as superior. I have personally had one police officer and a retired Marine both say, "I have never seen any better training."

You can build out your teaching opportunities with additional modules available from the USCCA as well.

If you are motivated, go for it! Make this opportunity and build something.

--Dan

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I can personally attest and strongly recommend Brett's instructor course, and the USCCA material.
    I took my course with him just last year, and am rapidly building my own teaching business, and even looking at some construction opportunities for a classroom/retail/range building.
    In my own assessment, there is no comparison of the USCCA material, it stands alone as superior. I have personally had one police officer and a retired Marine both say, "I have never seen any better training."

You can build out your teaching opportunities with additional modules available from the USCCA as well.

If you are motivated, go for it! Make this opportunity and build something.

--Dan

I wasn't going to participate in this topic, but I have to ask you share more about the statement you made above (highlighted in red).

• Superior to which alternatives?
    • Upon what criteria do you base you assessment?
    • Are you referring specifically to the instructor training material, or the body of information that is also passed to non-instructor students?
    • With how many (and which) instructors, schools, and organizations have you trained in order to form your opinion?

I'm sure what you're doing is great, but when you make vague, Madison Avenue-style claims such as it's "superior" and "stands alone," it raises more questions than it answers and it makes me curious!

Thanks!

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Firearms Instruction and Training like all education for dollars need to be measured. I too have seen many students with the logo shirts show up to shoot a match or to take some additional training and have discovered that it is not the certificate that makes the shooter, but the shooters learned and continued practice of such that is the true measurement of his skill level. No doubt that one should be better after such training but in my 40 plus years of doing this, I have seen some questionable tactics at the instructional level (even unsafe gun handling by the instructor) as well as students more interested in the certificate than the hard work, diligence, expense, time and effort it takes to attain his personal best. Please do not misunderstand, we are blessed in this country to have so many great and passionate educators available to the public and of course we have made great strides in Firearms Safety and Education, however A long list of Credentials are not always the measure of training ability. We do that on the range. Shooter ready?

NWIs&wShield

Plinker
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2017
    NWI
    Thanks for the questions;

I really only mean to couch my statements/endorsement/recommendation as my own personal opinion.
    I realize that this, of course, is subjective. Just trying to give testimony to my complete satisfaction as an instructor in the material of the USCCA.
    Not shying away at all from being an advocate of their curriculum. I better believe in it if I'm teaching it.
    This is also why I included the two endorsements from other individuals that were personally given to me from respected and experienced persons.

To attempt an answer to your specific questions:
    --As a code of conduct for instructors in the USCCA, we do not criticize other systems or instructors. I can only say that I am thoroughly satisfied and confident in the material we teach, and have not found anything (in my own experience) that is as detailed and helpful to the learner.
    --Regarding my criteria of assessment, I'm looking for instruction that is centered on self-defense purposes rather than bare marksmanship or for competitive shooting. I think this is reflected in a mission statement of the USCCA:"It's our mission arm our loyal members with the tools they need to safely and confidently protect themselves and their loved ones with the utmost peach of mind."
    --In my encouraging interested folks to enter this instructor program, it's an inferred endorsement of the information that's passed on to the students.
    --In forming my own opinion, I had taken classes as a learner from several other organizations, shops, and instructors. I was frustrated with the lack of sufficient materials put into my own hands. Now being an instructor, and taking a reflective assessment of my previous training, I see what I would have done differently. I certainly valued my other experiences, I just see how much more could have been included. In deciding to pursue becoming an instructor with the USCCA, I had searched out other instructors to get their opinions/assessments/recommendation, and found the results overwhelmingly in favor of the direction I ended up taking.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

I really only mean to couch my statements/endorsement/recommendation as my own personal opinion.
    I realize that this, of course, is subjective. Just trying to give testimony to my complete satisfaction as an instructor in the material of the USCCA.
    Not shying away at all from being an advocate of their curriculum. I better believe in it if I'm teaching it.
    This is also why I included the two endorsements from other individuals that were personally given to me from respected and experienced persons.

--As a code of conduct for instructors in the USCCA, we do not criticize other systems or instructors. I can only say that I am thoroughly satisfied and confident in the material we teach, and have not found anything (in my own experience) that is as detailed and helpful to the learner.
    --Regarding my criteria of assessment, I'm looking for instruction that is centered on self-defense purposes rather than bare marksmanship or for competitive shooting. I think this is reflected in a mission statement of the USCCA:"It's our mission arm our loyal members with the tools they need to safely and confidently protect themselves and their loved ones with the utmost peach of mind."
    --In my encouraging interested folks to enter this instructor program, it's an inferred endorsement of the information that's passed on to the students.
    --In forming my own opinion, I had taken classes as a learner from several other organizations, shops, and instructors. I was frustrated with the lack of sufficient materials put into my own hands. Now being an instructor, and taking a reflective assessment of my previous training, I see what I would have done differently. I certainly valued my other experiences, I just see how much more could have been included. In deciding to pursue becoming an instructor with the USCCA, I had searched out other instructors to get their opinions/assessments/recommendation, and found the results overwhelmingly in favor of the direction I ended up taking.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia

Thank you for your time in responding and I have and will continue to refer students to USCCA for the value it brings to many over the more costly Carry Guard Product. However, for my company I still prefer the student to spend all resources mastering the fundamentals of equipment and skills before considering the proposed uses and theories of what may happen.

Corbon

Plinker
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2011
    Columbus

Very well said. Thank you for taking time out of your day to share with us your experience.

Corbon

Plinker
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2011
    Columbus
    New course in March just added for anyone and especially those who spoke up in this thread but were unable to attend.

Top Bottom