Rifle and Pistol Instructors: Common Questions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1stLast&Always

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 14, 2016
    Indy No Place
    Researched this for a while, so if already threaded somewhere, please advise!

For those who teach rifle and pistol classes (with focus on the basic levels, not tactical), what are some of the most common questions you get in class and on the range? Besides "Where's the John?" of course. :)

Also, what are some of the more obscure questions or scenarios?

Looking for answers as they came to bear on their utility to your classes and instruction.

Thanks INGO!

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Not sure I get any strange questions. You would be surprised what people do and do not know and what they will assume. I will say that you will not turn someone into a gun fighter or even a good gun handler after a 4-8 hour session. You can introduce the concepts but at some point something had to click. What do people not know:

1) small guns don’t necessarily have less recoil.
    2) Holsters are safety devices. They keep your finger off the trigger.
    3) lot of questions about how to secure the gun from kids.
    4) people want to wrap the support hand thumb around the back of the grip, or grip the gun low or lean back when firing the gun.
    5) slide stops are completely alien and difficult for a lot of people. Conversely the slide locking back on an empty magazine and not releasing seems is new.
    6) almost all people who say they know how to shoot....can’t.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    Not any "strange" questions coming to mind, but there are some statements I make that blow some minds.

1) Women typically make a better student because they have fewer pre-conceptions about handling a firearm.
    2) You can't change the laws of physics... Smaller doesn't mean easier to shoot / handle.
    3) Managing recoil does not correlate with upper body strength.
    4) Racking the slide of a semi-auto handgun does not correlate with upper body strength.
    5) When people have trouble hitting the intended target, most will question the firearm. (Before I actually learned how to shoot, I did the same thing...)

Randy Harris

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    6) almost all people who say they grew up around guns ....can’t shoot .

Fixed it for you...

I grew up around electricity...in fact I have been in close proximity to electrical items almost every day of my life. I have electricity IN MY HOUSE and yet that does not make me an electrician.....any more than having a piano makes me a competent piano player.....proximity to something does not equal competency in its use.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Most common = am I doing this right?

You don't know what you don't know until you learn something.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Fixed it for you...

I grew up around electricity...in fact I have been in close proximity to electrical items almost every day of my life. I have electricity IN MY HOUSE and yet that does not make me an electrician.....any more than having a piano makes me a competent piano player.....proximity to something does not equal competency in its use.

Ok. I will give you that one. :yesway:

Top Bottom