• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    https://cms.bleedingcontrol.org/Class/Search

Nationwide availability. 1-2 hour classes on stopping bleeding resulting from trauma.

If you don't have some basic trauma life support training, this is by far the best bang for your buck. Any of us are more at risk from a car accident then from an armed intruder shooting us, and this sort of training prepares you for both. And it's free. Why wouldn't you take advantage of this?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    This is timely as there's some discussion about this class in the thread about "Life Saving in a mass casualty situation." I also saw a story about it on the local news this morning.

For those in the Indy area, Eskenazi Health holds this class monthly. I think the next one is coming up is next Wednesday Jan 23. You can register via the link in the OP.

I'm signed up for the class in Feb. It would be cool to see some other INGOers there.

The odds of needing to render some basic first aid to yourself or a family member is likely higher than needing to use a gun for self-defense. I know this is a gap in my training base, and I doubt I'm alone in that respect.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    If you carry a gun to defend yourself, you might think that as you are shooting, people are probably shooting at you.
    So, bystanders... or yourself may need help.

And, just like was mentioned.. car accidents cause injuries also.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Looks very interesting. Eskenazi has issues with carrying, I believe. Not sure about Franciscan Health Education Center?

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I'm registered for the February 18 class at Eskenazi, and I've texted the link to a few friends. Hopefully it gets filled up.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    There's also an ISP Officer in Southern IN that is a Stop The Bleed instructor - David Owsley (david.owsley@scipiogenevafire.com)

I have attended his presentation twice and highly recommend emailing him if you have a group wanting his training. I've seen it in business personally but know he will show it to church groups, scouts, clubs, like minded groups, etc...

Forgot to mention that it is FREE from him, too...

Last edited:

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Thanks for posting OP. I’ll go either next week or Feb and plan on dragging my daughter with me.

chemteach

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Plymouth
    At my church's Safety & Security team meeting we just completed our second trauma training session last night. The first session focused on tourniquets, injury assessment and how fast an injury can make you dead. Last night we learned about and practiced wound packing(if you can pack your own wound, you are a stud), applying chest seals and refreshed our training on the use of tourniquets. We learned about the importance of self-aid in a "hot-zone" while a threat still exists as well as "buddy-aid" in a "warm-zone". Our final training session will deal with airways, hypothermia (related to blood loss) and tactical evacuation along with some scenario training. Can't say it enough, Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. A shout out to ISP Officer Dan Burch for his excellent training skills.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    For those of you who have taken this class, do they teach wound packing technique (beyond simply saying "try to stuff" large wounds)?

Also, sent the Franciscan contact a question on this and will report back on what I find out (if anything).

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    For those of you who have taken this class, do they teach wound packing technique (beyond simply saying "try to stuff" large wounds)?

Also, sent the Franciscan contact a question on this and will report back on what I find out (if anything).

We had a "wound simulator", and they gave us gauze. And we practiced stuffing it.

Top Bottom