Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    It has been a slow start to 2019 for me in the area of practice and guns. Been on a layoff from practice since late October 2018. But decided it was time to get something started.

Here is a place for those that want to log practice both live and dry, post video, ask questions and provide answer and just generally work for improvement. Hopefully more people will participate than last year.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Decided to get something done in Dry practice today. I have a lot more thinking to do about the goals for 2019 and how to approach those unnamed goals. The Area 5 Steel Challenge is back at Riley in June. I want to do better than the last two times. I want to **** off some GM's. That is about as far as my 2019 goals have gone right now.

Today I found the dry practice par times from last year. Found the dry practice timer. It had a dead battery. So I used my blue timer that gets used for everything. Broke out the Single Stack gun in .40. I worked on the five Steel Banners that I have. Smoke and Hope, Five to Go, Pendulum, Speed Option and Roundabout.

I did Five reps with no par time, ten reps on the par time, and five reps .1 under the par time. I did that on all five. Par times went surprisingly well considering all of the rust. These times will move down right away if I can be regular.

Hoping to do the routine on Tuesdays and Thursdays after school before wrestling practice till March 1st. I plan to add some draws to the mix as well. Want to decide which gun I am going to use for SC this season. I want to shoot Limited and SS and I would like to do it with the same gun. Part of me would like to use a 9mm, but I have not shot it hardly at all. Plus would need more mags.

Well at least the ball is rolling.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I like the idea of a 9 mm ss for steel challenge
    If I had one I would probably do what you are thinking about.
    I don't see myself buying one just for that unless I come across a great deal.
    I just don't shoot enough steel.
    The focus in 2019 for me will be carry optics
    This is my first foray into dot shooting and I'm hoping to learn something. I'll keep an open mind and see what happens.
    I

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I like the idea of a 9 mm ss for steel challenge
    If I had one I would probably do what you are thinking about.
    I don't see myself buying one just for that unless I come across a great deal.
    I just don't shoot enough steel.
    The focus in 2019 for me will be carry optics
    This is my first foray into dot shooting and I'm hoping to learn something. I'll keep an open mind and see what happens.
    I

I'm probably selling the SA Range Officer 9mm soon, but I don't know if it will be a great deal!

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Just finished the Defensive Pistol 1 and 2 given by Aron the past 2 Mondays. Outstanding classes by the way. Am planning to do the Carry League next month if I can swing it.
    I am finally getting the reps in on my red dot that I'm feeling comfortable. With my 60 year old eyes it has made shooting enjoyable again.

Bob

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Got the five steel stages in today. Speed Option was the toughest and seemed tougher than yesterday to make par times. USPSA match tomorrow night Limited and Production is my plan there.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I finally had a day off that wasn't filled with stuff I didn't want to do so I spent some of it dry firing
    All 8 steel stages
    I actually forgot I had these banners until coach mentioned them. They are cool.
    I then did the 6 reload 6 exercises from refinement and repetition to work in some reloads.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Got in the Steel Challenge drills today. I did the normal 5 banners and with no par, par and sub part times. I added drawing to the first plate and a transition to the second plate. Did par times for the first shot and tried to be on the second plate as the echo of the second beep died. I set the par time at an impossible time to try and get to it. Need to get the first hit faster.

I also added some Gabe White trigger drills. Need to work on trigger control. Have thrown more mikes in the last month that I care to think about. Going to get some live fire work in tomorrow night before teaching class. Gong to work primarily with the carry gun.

Shot IDPA yesterday in Terre Haute. Did just fine on four stages, but gave the match away on one stage. Still pissed about it. It was all me and my lack of shooting on that one stage. Big time mental mistake.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Got a few hundred rounds down range at Parabelum today after school. Used the Singlestack gun first and tested the magazines for malfucntions. No malfunctions to report. Used the long dust cover for a 100 rounds or so. Worked on trigger control. Need more work. Went to the carry gun last. Shot Casiono, Quickly-carefully-precisely, up drills of 2 to 4 rounds, SHO and WHO. Need more work. If school is out Wednesday I may come back in here and see what happens.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    According to my dry fire par time app I have done something for 4 out of the last 7 days. This is a good trend.
    I am trying to come up with one set of drills that incorporate what I want to work on that I can complete in 30 to 45 minutes.
    Right now I'm using 2 different groups and alternating between them. I may just stick with this, a movement session and a static session.
    I need to incorporate a couple of steel stages per session and see how long it takes.
    When I know it will take less than an hour its harder for me to blow it off:)

harleymac1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2013
    Morgan County
    Timer

According to my dry fire par time app I have done something for 4 out of the last 7 days. This is a good trend.
    I am trying to come up with one set of drills that incorporate what I want to work on that I can complete in 30 to 45 minutes.
    Right now I'm using 2 different groups and alternating between them. I may just stick with this, a movement session and a static session.
    I need to incorporate a couple of steel stages per session and see how long it takes.
    When I know it will take less than an hour its harder for me to blow it off:)

Riverman67, what par time app are you using? I found one but it is very weak. Thanks

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    It is called the dry fire par time tracker.
    Its not that great but I don't have to push the button on a shot timer for every rep and that's what I was after

harleymac1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2013
    Morgan County
    It is called the dry fire par time tracker.
    Its not that great but I don't have to push the button on a shot timer for every rep and that's what I was after

Thank you for the info. Looks like it might be Android? Couldn't find in Apple App store. Found a new one I am going to try out though.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Got Five steel banners in tonight. Worked on draws after each set of reps. Also worked on transitions from the penultimate plate to the stop plate after doing the draws. Too cold for school tomorrow so I plan to get some extra dry fire in and some ammo loaded. I also have three periods of essay tests to grade.

Top Bottom