Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

User Info Menu

Share your observations of poor gunhandling.

In this world of reviews and all, there is something that I do not see brought up much in the industry today. We all know how important situational awareness is and we can discover things by using the same awareness in the released videos of training negligence. Some manufacturers, marketing majors, instructors and media have been impetuous in releasing owner manuals, advertising, training modules and reports in the shooting industry. For instance, in 2018 a very popular self made cable television program highlighting a very well known instructor at a very high profile corporate backed range in Texas released the video segment showing careless gun handling in sweeping himself and the students and the cameraman with a real gun. I tried to reach the sponsor on this matter and they ignored me. Casual gun handling is not okay in any venue let alone a promotional video. Some trainers use plastic models of guns and I believe it can promote carelessness just like ďdonít worry it isnít loadedĒ so it must be okay to break rule #2.Hell, I try not even point my finger at anyone unless I want to intimidate them let alone with a gun, gun frame, or plastic gun prop. But thatís me. I have seen owner manuals that have the right words in them but the drawings or photos lead to the approval of careless gun handling. A few years back the front page of a local newspaper showed the mayor showcasing a recovered machine gun and had it clearly pointing at some ones head. Magazines have had many print ads breaking some gun handling rules as well. Rule #3 gets violated in many videos and on a professional level as well. We all know news reporters can not even get the words right in giving us a story. Today I watched released footage of the Shot Show linked elsewhere in this forum that shows merchants showcasing their product and they clearly need some professional instruction. So how do we get responsible news stories, advertising, promotional videos? We have come a long way but we have miles to go before we sleep. I try to reach out and correct this misuse when I see it. Did you mean magazines?
    Last edited by Trapper Jim; 01-26-2019 at 10:01. Reason: spelling
    "See you on the Range"

User Info Menu

What about all the 180 and even 360 breaks in this video among a crowd of spectators if all guns can only be treated as loaded at any time?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zbs-2PgiMf8
    How many kids ran home, grabbed their Ruger 10/22 and tried the same stuff without oversight?

I would think that for something like Shot Show, eventually the environment itself would have to be declared a "safe area" for the purpose of manipulation of fire arms.
    From the Shot Show exhibitor FAQ:
    NO personal firearms or ammunition allowed. Only firearms on display by exhibitors whose firing pins have been removed (and have been inspected by SHOT Show Safety Advisors) will be permitted at the SHOT Show.

It isn't my intention to be flippant about the matter. Given that kids and now be suspended for half-eaten pop-tarts and t-shirts with gun shapes, there needs to be some reflection on how far is too far before people start wrenching on the regulatory screws of societal condemnation.

User Info Menu

Finding an instance of poor gun handling is not hard. Normally going to the range and finding someone else there is enough. In teaching classes gunning up and preparing to go home is the most dangerous time of class. I am amazed at how many people carry their gun to class in a box then box it back up to go home. Even from a defensive pistol class. There was a time when I was amazed by the people who cannot follow directions. For example do not handle guns behind the firing line. " I just said do not handle guns behind the firing line." "It is not loaded." " I did not say do not handle loaded guns behind the firing line."
    No one is stronger or more dangerous than the man who can harness his emotions.

www.BrightFirearmsTraining.com

abright@ccrtc.com

Plinker

User Info Menu

I need only look as far as my father-in-law. A lover of "real guns" made of steel and wood....."no polymer, striker fired BS for me!" An avid shooter. I always wondered why he hated ranges with RSO's until I saw him handle my firearms. Has me ducking for cover while sweeping everybody in the room with his finger in the trigger guard.

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

There are a lot of "professionals" out there that are downright scary.

Happily, safety has become a thing now days. A few years back there were INGOers, claiming to be instructors, that couldn't possibly follow the four rules because; "How are you gonna show your buddies your guns without pointing them at each other?"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Done, done, and Iím on to the next one...
    -----------------------------------------------

User Info Menu

https://youtu.be/S7ufT_6Kgy0
    Instructor shoots self in foot in front of class.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AdventureTeamJoe View Post
    I need only look as far as my father-in-law. A lover of "real guns" made of steel and wood....."no polymer, striker fired BS for me!" An avid shooter. I always wondered why he hated ranges with RSO's until I saw him handle my firearms. Has me ducking for cover while sweeping everybody in the room with his finger in the trigger guard.
    A few of years ago we were having a birthday party for my daughter and all of the kids and moms were downstairs. Some of us men folk went upstairs to the second floor to get out of the way, shoot the bull.

My brother-in-law knows I'm a gun guy and decides he wants to show me his new carry piece. Without warning he pulls it from his holster and points it right at my belly. I'm not sure if he was trying to hand it to me or what, but I basically slapped his arm away and told him to point it in a safe direction. He then proceeds to point it down at the floor failing to account for the dozens of toddlers and mommies in the room directly below us.

After that I told him he was never allowed to unholster in my house again for any reason. To this day he still doesn't understand why I got so upset.
    Last edited by MCgrease08; 01-31-2019 at 22:02.
    Spent a little time on the mountain. Spent a little time on the hill.

MODus Operandi

User Info Menu

Let's just say, working in a gun store has made me want to invest in body armor

"Criminals are never materially handicapped by such rules; the only effect is to disarm the peaceful citizen and put him fully at the mercy of the lawless. Such rules look very pretty on paper;
    in practice they are as foolish and footless as the attempt of the mice to bell the cat. Such is my thesis, that the licensing of weapons is subversive of liberty and self-defeating in its pious purpose"

-Robert A Heinlein on Gun Control

I Care...Really

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MCgrease08 View Post

After that I told him he was never allowed to unholster in my house again for any reason. To this day he still doesn't understand why I got so upset.
    And there in the problem exists.
    AKA..Thor. Odin son. God of thunder.
    But you can call me John.....Force.

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

http://ingunowners.com/forums/handgu...e-posting.html

User Info Menu

There are FOUR rules?
    Endowment Member, National Rifle Association; Member, Gun Owners of America; Member, Second Amendment Foundation; Member, Marion County Fish and Game Association; Member, Revere's Riders; Rifleman, Project Appleseed; Private Pilot, Airplane, Single-Engine Land

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast