• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Relatively Ninja

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I recently purchased my first shotgun, which I intend to use for home defense and as a fun gun. I'd like to take some kind of defensive shotgun class, but I'm not seeing much around Indy. Indy Arms Company has one that is $99 for about four hours of instruction. https://www.indyarms.com/introductory-self-defense-shotgun/ Is this class worth the cost? Is there anything better available near Indianapolis? Your input is appreciated!

jlw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2018
    Georgia
    If one of the quality instructors on this forum doesn't offer such a course or have a local recommendation, I'd be happy to do a course up there if a range could be worked out.

I offer a Social Shotgun/Levergun Manipulations class and a Shotgun Operator class. The former is manipulations based (good for home/business defense); the latter is designed around the use of a defensive shotgun as a primary long arm.

https://firstpersonsafety.com/about/

ArmedRPh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    I took that course a couple of months ago. it's a good intro course if you've never run a shotgun before. You'll go through the basics...safety, ammo selection, how to mount and manipulate the gun, common mistakes and some legal topics on home defense in general (they aren't lawyers and can't give legal advice, just general stuff). I think I was on the range for the better part of 90 minutes. 50 or so rounds of a field load, maybe 20 of 00 buckshot and 5 slug rounds. Just to give you a feel for how those feel coming out. My instructor was Joel. Good guy and an effective teacher.
    What this is not...it's not tactical training for how to clear a house, set up ambushes or how to become John Wick. The home defense part of the training is more mindset and understanding what a shotgun can and can't do at the distances you'd see in a home defense setting. This is not a replacement for the 3 day defensive shotgun course that Gunsite teaches, nor is it 1:1 training with any of the instructors that lurk on this site. It's just a general intro class...I think there were 6 or 7 students and the instructor plus 4 other folks from the store that helped out and were either instructors themselves or training to become one.

Worth the $99? I thought so. My shotgun experience was limited to hunting, so this was a nice intro to other uses. If you've taken any formal firearms training on any platform, some of this will be a repeat, but it's a nice setting, the range is clean and the people who work there are all quite nice and professional in my opinion.

Don't bother bringing ammo, you can buy it there.

My 2cents

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I recently purchased my first shotgun, which I intend to use for home defense and as a fun gun. I'd like to take some kind of defensive shotgun class, but I'm not seeing much around Indy. Indy Arms Company has one that is $99 for about four hours of instruction. https://www.indyarms.com/introductory-self-defense-shotgun/ Is this class worth the cost? Is there anything better available near Indianapolis? Your input is appreciated!

Stop by the Tipton Gunshow or send me a PM. Private Instuction with lots of range time.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    yeah but you are all about carbines. No love for the shotgun.
    Negative on the lobster...how many shells do I need?
    99c457aae92f18cc041e0c2ea9ed0c1e.jpg

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Negative on the lobster...how many shells do I need?
    99c457aae92f18cc041e0c2ea9ed0c1e.jpg

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

I will have to finalize that outline to fit the time requirement. Also I will know more once Powder figures out what people are bringing so we can effectively split up the groups. But I would bring 150 birdshot, 50 buckshot, 15 slugs. Shotguns are more about setting up and manipulating the weapon properly then beating people up with high round counts. Not like ammo spoils.

edit: I am digging that Ares gear shell card. I am sure we will talk about shotgun ammo.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    I expect there will be a few examples of ways to set up each platform at the course. As stated in the link to the course, we will have instructors specializing in handguns, AR pattern rifles / pistols and shotguns working the range for the afternoon portion...

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Top Bottom