• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gopher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Zionsville, IN
    Revere's Riders will again be running an event at the Camp Atterbury Pistol "Pop-Up" target range on Mar 9, 2019. This event is held on the US Army pistol qualification range on the MILITARY SIDE of Camp Atterbury; civilians are only able to use this range via attending events such as this. You will be able to shoot the official US Army pistol qualification course (APQC). Other courses of fire may be available to us depending on what is loaded to the target system computer (we can use any COF loaded to the target system computer, but are prohibited from creating our own COFs).

The "Pop-Up" target ranges at Camp Atterbury utilize polymer simulated torso targets that lay flat and then "pop-up" when activated by the computerized target system. The targets sense a bullet strike and immediately fall back down; if no hits are sensed, the target will fall down after a period of time according to the computerized COF. These targets offer much more realistic practice than paper targets on a static range; targets are arranged at various distances from 5 to 30 yards as well as spread out laterally. You will need to recognize a target as it appears, align your sights on the target and then score a hit before the programmed time for the target has expired.

Note that there is NO INSTRUCTION at this event.

The recommended prerequisite is Revere's Riders Pistol 100 or similar course in order to fire from the low-ready position. We will also be allowing participants to draw from the holster (no appendix, small-of-the-back, shoulder holsters, etc.), but you MUST be competent and have had prior training in drawing from the holster to do so. All those desiring to draw from the holster will be required to demonstrate their technique prior to being allowed to do so; the event instructors/RSOs will have final say on whether you will be allowed to draw from a holster. Revere's Riders Pistol 145 would fulfill the appropriate training requirement to draw from the holster for this event.

More event information, required/recommended equipment and online ticket sales can be found on the Revere's Riders website: https://www.reveresriders.org/event/2019-mar-9-camp-atterbury-in/

To get a better idea of what it is like shooting on this range, watch the below YouTube video from one of our 2018 events:

[video=youtube;HLBLsuozYSA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLBLsuozYSA[/video]

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Here's a few tidbits of experience from a previous adventure:
    • <=10 rounds/mag and you better be good at mag changes AND accurate
    • Keep shooting till the threat is gone (sometimes that means a head-shot, even at 30m)
    • <= 9mm and you'll probably need to hit 'em repeatedly (true story)
    • Bring as many mags as you can. AND make friends to help reload mid-scenario.

gopher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Zionsville, IN
    For those of you that are clamoring for "more realistic" training options, this is your event. More realistic and the targets would need to be randomly moving downrange!

Note that you will get printed scores at the end of the event so you will know how you did. If you're going to honestly measure your skill against the US Army Pistol Qualifier, you should follow the below COF:

• Table 1 (first sequence of targets): one magazine with 7 rounds
    • Table 2 (second sequence of targets): two magazines, one with 1 round and one with 7 rounds
    • Table 3 (third sequence of targets): one magazine with 7 rounds
    • Table 4 (fourth sequence of targets): one magazine with 5 rounds
    • Table 5 (fifth sequence of targets): three magazines, one with 1 round, one with 7 rounds and one with 5 rounds

Total of 40 rounds to engage 30 targets.

You can read more in US ARMY TC 3-23.35 Appendix E.

Of course, you can put as many rounds downrange as you like :shoot:

brchixwing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Nov 13, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Just signed up! Question on packing-- Do we need separate locked containers, i.e. locked container(s) for ammunition and firearms? Or can we just keep handguns in a soft range bag unloaded with all mags clear (secured with a lock), and then keep another range bag with ammo?

"Before you proceed to to the base entrance and attempt to pass through security, make sure that all firearms in your vehicle and on your person (don’t forget your concealed carry sidearm) are unloaded, in a secure case and separated from your ammunition."

For those of you that are clamoring for "more realistic" training options, this is your event. More realistic and the targets would need to be randomly moving downrange!

Note that you will get printed scores at the end of the event so you will know how you did. If you're going to honestly measure your skill against the US Army Pistol Qualifier, you should follow the below COF:

• Table 1 (first sequence of targets): one magazine with 7 rounds
    • Table 2 (second sequence of targets): two magazines, one with 1 round and one with 7 rounds
    • Table 3 (third sequence of targets): one magazine with 7 rounds
    • Table 4 (fourth sequence of targets): one magazine with 5 rounds
    • Table 5 (fifth sequence of targets): three magazines, one with 1 round, one with 7 rounds and one with 5 rounds

Total of 40 rounds to engage 30 targets.

You can read more in US ARMY TC 3-23.35 Appendix E.

Of course, you can put as many rounds downrange as you like :shoot:

gopher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Zionsville, IN
    Just signed up! Question on packing-- Do we need separate locked containers, i.e. locked container(s) for ammunition and firearms? Or can we just keep handguns in a soft range bag unloaded with all mags clear (secured with a lock), and then keep another range bag with ammo?

"Before you proceed to to the base entrance and attempt to pass through security, make sure that all firearms in your vehicle and on your person (don’t forget your concealed carry sidearm) are unloaded, in a secure case and separated from your ammunition."

IANAL ("I am not a lawyer"), but the Indiana Code (IC 35-47-2-1) says the following regarding transport of a handgun in a vehicle (obviously, if you have a valid LTCH this doesn't apply to your carry pistol):

(3) the person carries the handgun in a vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person, if the handgun is:
    (A) unloaded;
    (B) not readily accessible; and
    (C) secured in a case;

Interpret that however you wish keeping in mind that your vehicle is subject to inspection at the Camp Atterbury entrance. Personally, I have NEVER had my vehicle searched, but your mileage may vary. :)

Not trying to scare anyone here, but you need to realize that we will be on an active military base and will be subject to military rules and discipline.

brchixwing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Nov 13, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Thank you good sir, did not want to risk getting denied entrance! I always err on the side of caution & comply, better safe than sorry.

IANAL ("I am not a lawyer"), but the Indiana Code (IC 35-47-2-1) says the following regarding transport of a handgun in a vehicle (obviously, if you have a valid LTCH this doesn't apply to your carry pistol):

(3) the person carries the handgun in a vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by the person, if the handgun is:
    (A) unloaded;
    (B) not readily accessible; and
    (C) secured in a case;

Interpret that however you wish keeping in mind that your vehicle is subject to inspection at the Camp Atterbury entrance. Personally, I have NEVER had my vehicle searched, but your mileage may vary. :)

Not trying to scare anyone here, but you need to realize that we will be on an active military base and will be subject to military rules and discipline.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Thank you good sir, did not want to risk getting denied entrance! I always err on the side of caution & comply, better safe than sorry.
    Another thing that could be assumed but would be incorrect is to picture being able to pull in and then unload and pack up your handgun before proceeding to the gate. At Atterbury, as soon as you pull off the public road there is no place to pull over and take care of this. You'll need to find a parking lot to do this before arriving to the base property. I can't remember how many times I've been to events at the base (more than 10 at least). I also have never been searched more than a glance into the car at the entrance gate but don't want to be the test case.

gopher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Zionsville, IN
    Another thing that could be assumed but would be incorrect is to picture being able to pull in and then unload and pack up your handgun before proceeding to the gate. At Atterbury, as soon as you pull off the public road there is no place to pull over and take care of this. You'll need to find a parking lot to do this before arriving to the base property. I can't remember how many times I've been to events at the base (more than 10 at least). I also have never been searched more than a glance into the car at the entrance gate but don't want to be the test case.

Two important points as a corollary to all of this (these are both in the event description, so if you read that you should already be aware of this):

1. loaded firearms are NOT allowed on base; the only exception being the firing line of the ranges (and then only when the "Load!" command is given)
    2. concealed carry is NOT allowed on the base

This means you will need to "un-conceal" and unload your concealed carry firearm BEFORE you turn into the base entrance. As doc points out, once you turn off Old Hospital Road/CR 800 S the base entrance is immediately in front of you. You probably do NOT want to be fooling with your concealed carry firearm in view of base security.

Camp Atterbury is a FANTASTIC venue as their ranges are some of the best (if not THE best) in the state. I've gone there for 2-3 years now with Revere's Riders and have never personally had an issue with anything nor have I heard of anyone else having an issue.

Just know what is expected when you are on-base and respect that it is an active military installation where there is "no fooling around" and you'll be fine. All of the information that you need to know is listed in the event description on the Revere's Riders website. The event description is long, but you should READ IT ALL.

If you have a longish drive to get to Camp Atterbury, there is on-base lodging available to civilians at REALLY REASONABLE prices (again, see the event description on the RR website). Like less than $40/night gets you a room with a double bed, private bath, TV, couch and kitchenette. You are right on-base and it is only a short drive from the lodging to where we will meet in the morning prior to the event. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Still have plenty of room for folks to join us at this event. Come on out and give it a try; you won't be disappointed!

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    The firearm rules were never a problem for me at Atterbury. The speed limit, on the other hand ... that is another rule you do not want to test ... but, daaaamn is it tough to follow.

gopher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Zionsville, IN
    The firearm rules were never a problem for me at Atterbury. The speed limit, on the other hand ... that is another rule you do not want to test ... but, daaaamn is it tough to follow.

If I recall correctly, 25mph essentially everywhere and 10mph if troops are present. Being from Zionsville, I don't have quite as hard a time with those speed limits but I definitely agree that they are SLOOOWWW...

gopher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Zionsville, IN
    14 spots on the line still available for this event. You won't get a chance to shoot on this range at Camp Atterbury either on your own or with any other group in Indiana. This is a truly UNIQUE opportunity.

gopher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Zionsville, IN
    IMPORTANT NOTE: ticket sales for this event end at 5:00PM on March 2nd.

This is so we have time to submit a list of participants to Camp Atterbury so you will be allowed through base security. You've got around 24 hours to get your ticket purchased for this event!

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Hope you all are padding the roster w/ Instructors.
    Dunno if I can carry enough ammo to manage TWO lanes at once!

brchixwing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Nov 13, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Thanks again Revere's Riders for hosting! Was an awesome event in spite of the weather cutting things short.

[video=youtube_share;gzHTWTdYb2o]https://youtu.be/gzHTWTdYb2o[/video]

Top Bottom