• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Selfpreservation

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Central

I am sure by now most of you have at least heard of the run, hide, fight approach for private citizens to deal with an active shooter/killer in the workplace, school, mall, etc.While that''s definitely better than not having a plan, I prefer and teach a slightly different approach. Here's just a brief overview.

ESCAPE - Telling people to run is better than freezing, but it's not clear instruction or a clear plan. Instead of just running, we try to instill the concept of escape.
    We teach students to take a few moments (or longer) to know at least two exits for every building they enter and to think about escape routes to those exits before an active killer starts their carnage.
    Escape should be the number one objective for you and your loved ones. However, as an active killer event is unfolding,, the situation may require you immediately transition to evading or engaging the killer.

EVADE - Hiding and evading are not synonymous. By only telling people to hide, you are telling them to stay in place & forget about trying to escape. There's a lot of variables to consider. For instance, is the killer on the other side of a large building and you know an escape route and exit is near by, hiding is not your best option. Moving while avoiding detection is the better option.

ENGAGE - If escaping and evading aren't an option, then you need to engage the killer with as much violence and aggression as you can rain down until they are neutralized.

active.jpg

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    This has all sorts of opportunities for discussion. Not sure I want to endure everything that goes with such a discussion on here.

Selfpreservation

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Central
    This has all sorts of opportunities for discussion. Not sure I want to endure everything that goes with such a discussion on here.

I agree on both parts.

I have been coming here for quite some time, well before becoming a member. I have been blessed with a lot of clients from this forum and don't want to just be someone who comes here and takes but doesn't contribute anything. My hope is others find value in some of my posts as I have by the posts others have made.

As far as the discussion, well like you said, it's often a lot to endure.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I will have Coach’s back, Way Back

“I’ll stay here and make sure nobody sneaks up on you, go get em Coach”

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County

I am sure by now most of you have at least heard of the run, hide, fight approach for private citizens to deal with an active shooter/killer in the workplace, school, mall, etc.While that''s definitely better than not having a plan, I prefer and teach a slightly different approach. Here's just a brief overview.

ESCAPE - Telling people to run is better than freezing, but it's not clear instruction or a clear plan. Instead of just running, we try to instill the concept of escape.
    We teach students to take a few moments (or longer) to know at least two exits for every building they enter and to think about escape routes to those exits before an active killer starts their carnage.
    Escape should be the number one objective for you and your loved ones. However, as an active killer event is unfolding,, the situation may require you immediately transition to evading or engaging the killer.

EVADE - Hiding and evading are not synonymous. By only telling people to hide, you are telling them to stay in place & forget about trying to escape. There's a lot of variables to consider. For instance, is the killer on the other side of a large building and you know an escape route and exit is near by, hiding is not your best option. Moving while avoiding detection is the better option.

ENGAGE - If escaping and evading aren't an option, then you need to engage the killer with as much violence and aggression as you can rain down until they are neutralized.

View attachment 75510

Selfpreservation, your approach is interesting. It sounds like it aligns well with the ALERRT™ program developed at Texas State University. The non-LEO version of the ALERRT program is called Avoid | Deny | Defend and would appear to align with your three elements, though from a words used standpoint I think I prefer yours.

Through my employer I had the opportunity to attend an Avoid | Deny | Defend training session. The program focused heavily on awareness, physiological response to stress and what the average citizen can do to decrease their recovery to action time, and pre-planning for how to avoid (escape) an active shooter, deny the shooter access to you (evade), and ultimately how to defend yourself (engage).

Overall I thought the program and presenters from IMPD did an excellent job. Unfortunately in the highly non-permissive and open environment at work, executing the actions and not ending up with significant casualties probably has a low chance of success.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    As noted , there are many topics that are attached to the awareness mindset that we all should practice .
    Whenever my wife and myself ( or friends ) are out , we do practice and take note of ,where alternative exits exist ......
    It seems my main concern is or would be , is if the situation came down to the " engage " scenario , how to keep myself from looking like the " Bad Guy " , or someone mistaking me as such ?
    Again , many , many factors which could be addressed here , but glad there are discussions about this .
    I`m Always open to more training opportunities and knowledge .

Selfpreservation

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Central
    Selfpreservation, your approach is interesting. It sounds like it aligns well with the ALERRT™ program developed at Texas State University. The non-LEO version of the ALERRT program is called Avoid | Deny | Defend and would appear to align with your three elements, though from a words used standpoint I think I prefer yours.

Through my employer I had the opportunity to attend an Avoid | Deny | Defend training session. The program focused heavily on awareness, physiological response to stress and what the average citizen can do to decrease their recovery to action time, and pre-planning for how to avoid (escape) an active shooter, deny the shooter access to you (evade), and ultimately how to defend yourself (engage).

Overall I thought the program and presenters from IMPD did an excellent job. Unfortunately in the highly non-permissive and open environment at work, executing the actions and not ending up with significant casualties probably has a low chance of success.

Could be similar. I honestly don't know anything about their non-LEO program. One of our instructors went through the LEO class and spoke very highly of it. But, like you said, no matter where the training comes from, in a non permissive environment things are significantly stacked against you!

Selfpreservation

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Central
    As noted , there are many topics that are attached to the awareness mindset that we all should practice .
    Whenever my wife and myself ( or friends ) are out , we do practice and take note of ,where alternative exits exist ......
    It seems my main concern is or would be , is if the situation came down to the " engage " scenario , how to keep myself from looking like the " Bad Guy " , or someone mistaking me as such ?
    Again , many , many factors which could be addressed here , but glad there are discussions about this .

That my friend is the million dollar question! There are things we can do to SOMEWHAT mitigate the chances of being mistaken as the bad guy, but IMHO still put the good guy at risk. If you watch the news you see it happen with off duty police officer's being shot by responding uniform officer's. It has evened happened with officer's from the same department.

stocknup

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Monrovia area
    That my friend is the million dollar question! There are things we can do to SOMEWHAT mitigate the chances of being mistaken as the bad guy, but IMHO still put the good guy at risk. If you watch the news you see it happen with off duty police officer's being shot by responding uniform officer's. It has evened happened with officer's from the same department.

I have watched some videos and shows that if the case were to happen , you should loudly state that you are a Good Guy and a legal to possess a weapon , and for someone to call for Help .(all while showing proper , safe gun handling)
    That being said ......no amount of training can predict how other bystanders will react .....I suppose that is the chance we all take today . By eliminating all the " chances" I can , definitely improves my odds of staying healthy .

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Simply put, I think this comes under the topic of situational awareness--including the part of other citizens or responding officers.
    On that point, don't resemble the "active murderer"
    1)maintain muzzle discipline and don't point your gun at anyone who doesn't need to be shot. ID your target
    2)Per Gabe Suarez: if there are multiple assailants, don't pick up the dead terrorist's rifle as it is the kind of weapon a terrorist/mass murderer uses. Using your handgun makes you fit the image of a CCW holder who's shooting back.
    3)When in doubt--or when facing LEO's--communicate. Their SOP is to arrest people and they'll probably do the same--obey them:twocents:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have to watch an educational webinar every year on something like this. Of course since I don’t work in a large office building with a no gun policy, like my company maintains, my plan would be a bit different.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    2)Per Gabe Suarez: if there are multiple assailants, don't pick up the dead terrorist's rifle as it is the kind of weapon a terrorist/mass murderer uses. Using your handgun makes you fit the image of a CCW holder who's shooting back.

While I respect Gabe a lot, I do not agree with this at all.

He is suggesting that if you have multiple bad guys shooting at you with rifles that you should only engage with your handgun? No way that I would do that given the opportunity to use a rifle instead. Pistols suck. I have yet to be able to comfortably CC a rifle, which is why I CC a pistol instead.

Top Bottom