• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Selfpreservation

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Central
    Like most shooters, I was taught to use the first pad between the tip of the finger and the first joint known as the distal interphalangeal joint. Once I became an instructor I also taught this same trigger finger placement.

Guess what? It's a myth that has been passed from one instructor to the next for years. There is no one size fits all when it comes to trigger finger placement. As a matter of fact, a shooter may use his or her first pad with one gun and then place their finger all the way to the second (proximal interphalangeal) joint on another gun. It will depend on the size of the shooters hand as well as he size and shape of the gun.

What I teach and practice now is don't worry how much trigger finger you use. Use what's comfortable for the shooter and that gun, then focus on grip and trigger pull. BTW, it is a trigger PULL, not a trigger PRESS. You pull things to you and press things away.

Here's a YouTube video I posted last year shooting with varies finger placement and the results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Xh3R9UsH1I&t=20s

Don't take my word for it, go test it for yourself. Like any pyschomotor skill, reading about it or watching a video is just theory until you apply it.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Like most shooters, I was taught to use the first pad between the tip of the finger and the first joint known as the distal interphalangeal joint. Once I became an instructor I also taught this same trigger finger placement.

Guess what? It's a myth that has been passed from one instructor to the next for years. There is no one size fits all when it comes to trigger finger placement. As a matter of fact, a shooter may use his or her first pad with one gun and then place their finger all the way to the second (proximal interphalangeal) joint on another gun. It will depend on the size of the shooters hand as well as he size and shape of the gun.

What I teach and practice now is don't worry how much trigger finger you use. Use what's comfortable for the shooter and that gun, then focus on grip and trigger pull. BTW, it is a trigger PULL, not a trigger PRESS. You pull things to you and press things away.

Here's a YouTube video I posted last year shooting with varies finger placement and the results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Xh3R9UsH1I&t=20s

Don't take my word for it, go test it for yourself. Like any pyschomotor skill, reading about it or watching a video is just theory until you apply it.

Yes and no. While I believe there is movement room for the trigger finger placement, to talk about it out of the context of the four step process for the responsible shot, one might learn some bad habits that will be harder to break when he needs to. Most shooters have the most difficult time learning to drive the gun with the support hand. Having said this, if one develops the comfortable finger placement before the foundation of proper control then many things can happen to block improvement to the accurate shot. Too much finger may interfere with the support hand, it also may apply too much pressure on the strong side of the gun. It certainly will, for defense reasons, make disarming the shooter easier by twisting the gun around the shooters hand, much like too much stirrup in horseback riding is dangerous. Too little of finger may not have the sensitivity or strength that is needed for the well performed shot.

I really like the part about “go test yourself”. We all should face our practice head on, but for the whole enchilada, From presentation to follow thru, recovery and follow up shots perfectly executed and then work on time needed to achieve the score. A professional approach to the complete art rather than taking something out of context.

So to recap, while I can agree to a lot of this said, it is important to put it into it’s place of the process of the whole package of the four steps to breaking a shot.

I hope this helps and let’s keep training, shooting, learning and train some more.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Hickok45 has advocated use of the first joint (rather than the first pad) of his trigger finger for years...

I’ve tried it and it doesn’t work for me. Using the first pad allows one to make small adjustments not possible when using the first joint of the trigger finger.

But then again, Hickok45 has HUGE meat-hooks and mine are...

average.

:(

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I see merit in all that has been posted. If you watch others this is a matter of personal comfort. Hand size does figure into this as does the gun being used.
    In my shooting it is always the end of my trigger finger on any hand gun I shoot. Especially a 1911 with a light trigger. Works well for me.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    For the average Joe I would think the test should involve a few more rounds for each finger placement. Someone who is more proficient at shot placement will have less variance.

Thanks for the info and the short vid.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I don't even think about where my finger hits the trigger. I focus on a SMOOTH escalation of force as a pull.

Not two guns are going to fit you the same. Going from one gun to another and having to learn a new feel is IMO a losing game. Better to develop good habits that apply equally to any and all firearms.

I don't think finger placement really matters. What matters is control of that trigger and how smoothly you can apply force to it.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    A lot of stuff here. I think calling the traditional placement of the finger on the trigger a myth is way off base.

Saw this thread last night after the match. Dud nor have the time to deal with it. Need a keyboard not a phone to reply properly.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I also think that "Myth:only use the first finger pad for proper trigger finger placement" is over simplified. It's certainly not a myth for a SA or striker-fired pistol that fits your hand, but SelfP is right that pistols that don't fit your hand, or variables like heavy DA triggers, require doing something different.
    For DA triggers I've always heard it advocated, and used, the first joint in order to get leverage.
    The trigger on my Kahr CM9 is smooth but between the size of the grip and the length of pull, I have to use the 2nd finger pad in order to move the trigger straight back. Even though the Colt mustang I used to have was about the same size, the trigger was light and short enough, that using the 1st joint worked.
    FWIW at a USAMU marksmanship class that I attended, they said to center the grip in the web of your hand and then let the trigger finger lay wherever was natural. That was with AR15s, but I think the principles of grip and trigger control don't change

devildog70

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    I know Pat Mac is a big advocate of burying the trigger finger - he allegedly got that right from Rob Leatham, when he was struggling learning the Glock.

I can shoot either way, and really don't worry about finger placement.

Selfpreservation

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2015
    Central
    I know Pat Mac is a big advocate of burying the trigger finger - he allegedly got that right from Rob Leatham, when he was struggling learning the Glock.

I can shoot either way, and really don't worry about finger placement.

It was training with Mac that got me to rethink the whole finger placement issue. He told the class it was Rob Leatham who got him to rethink the whole finger placement issue.
    When you have an ex Delta guy, who was not only in the unit but was also responsible for their firearms training as well as a multi time national and world champion shooter both speaking against the first pad only myth, it's probably worth paying attention to. I'm no detective but in police work we call that a clue!

Mac also convinced be to rethink and alter use of cover, but that's for another post.

Having shot both ways now for some time, I am like you and don't really event think about finger placement any longer. I just use what's comfortable for the gun and position i am using. Same with clients.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Personally, I shoot much better using my index finger front pad than I do hooking my entire finger around the trigger.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    So, the goal is to move the trigger to the rear without disturbing sight alignment (and shot placement as consequence). There will be a position of the hand and finger on the gun that will make this easier and more repeatable. The optimal position will depend on the size and shape of the gun, the size and shape of the hand, and the shooter's ability to manipulate their fingers to apply force to the trigger.

I think its probably wrong to assume the exact same position will work for all gun/hand combinations. However, the majority of guns and hands are pretty similar. So it's likely not a bad idea to assume that for average guns and average hands, a similar starting point is probably a good place to start.

I prefer to think in terms of the desired result (moving the trigger without moving the sights) and let the body figure it out. Or get feedback from the sights and adjust accordingly. Trying to arbitrarily change finger position isnt usually my first approach.

Top Bottom