General NWI INGO training and competitions.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I have traveled to Terre Haute for training because I don't know what is going on in NWI.

I am starting this thread in hopes that you (anyone) will post opportunities here.

If you make a separate post please just place a link here.

Thanks for your help. I hope to get to meet more of you.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I have traveled to Terre Haute for training because I don't know what is going on in NWI.

I am starting this thread in hopes that you (anyone) will post opportunities here.

If you make a separate post please just place a link here.

Thanks for your help. I hope to get to meet more of you.

Fortess Defense Consultants

I recommend Frank Sharpe and his associates without reservation. I've trained alongside them as students and I've trained with them as their student and I've hosted them to operate classes together. They offer everything from the expected defensive firearms skills to conflict avoidance and resolution to force on force to active shooter to emergency medical training that goes way, way beyond what most others offer.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Thank you for posting.

Having bad knees there are a lot of classes I do not believe that I could handle.

I would be interested in Indiana law and mindset training.

I am hoping that someone or several will list opportunities for matches with not too much movement.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Thanks, I cannot make it this month. I will plan on being there next month.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Thank you for posting.

Having bad knees there are a lot of classes I do not believe that I could handle.

I would be interested in Indiana law and mindset training.

I am hoping that someone or several will list opportunities for matches with not too much movement.

Blue,

All of our classes can be completed by anyone. They aren't firearms fitness classes. If we don't reach everyone, what good are we?

Some of the "physical" type classes are more rigorous that deal with fighting and weapons retention.

That being said, no one is going to try to destroy anyone. The goal is to learn and grow together.

Believe me, I know about bad knees. I am 6 months out from an ACL repair and bilateral meniscectomy. I am now back to fighting but I am on the mend. If we can't fight as who we are and work with what we have then no one could ever train. No one is perfect.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Fortess Defense Consultants

I recommend Frank Sharpe and his associates without reservation. I've trained alongside them as students and I've trained with them as their student and I've hosted them to operate classes together. They offer everything from the expected defensive firearms skills to conflict avoidance and resolution to force on force to active shooter to emergency medical training that goes way, way beyond what most others offer.

I second this recommendation.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    This is why I started this thread.

Thanks to those that have posted links to trainers.

I want to get to know a little about the people beside their battlefield creds. Anybody can post anything about that.

I want to know the person and their philosophy.

If they do not have time to contribute to the community, don't have treasure to contribute to their bottom line.

That is why I have traveled two and a half hours to train specifically with Coach and BBI.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    This is why I started this thread.

Thanks to those that have posted links to trainers.

I want to get to know a little about the people beside their battlefield creds. Anybody can post anything about that.

I want to know the person and their philosophy.

If they do not have time to contribute to the community, don't have treasure to contribute to their bottom line.

That is why I have traveled two and a half hours to train specifically with Coach and BBI.

Frank Sharpe does not participate here (although he has a few times in the past), but he is based in Illinois. I suspect he spends his time working in lieu of mingling here. Since he's not here to speak for himself, I'll say a few things. Frank frequently write essays and commentary on personal defense, RKBA, political, and current events issues. You can read them via the web site. You should be able to glean some of the basics of his philosophy from there. You could also call or email him with questions.

He's not former military and he's not a cop or a former cop. He's "just" a guy who is dedicated to learn as much as can about remaining intact and has a talent and passion for sharing what he has learned and developed with other people. He's really, really good at it. His curriculum is based on sound fundamentals, is very practical, and is devoid of gimmicks and fads. I have a not insignificant amount of experience with firearms and defense-related training and I'm pretty good at assessing the merits (or lack thereof) of someone who is in this business. There are a lot of good options for vendors of these services (and probably more bad ones), but I chose to train with him as a student in the past and will continue to do so as I am able because I like what he's doing and the way he does it. And that's true even though our backgrounds are different and we have a significant number of different opinions.

If you don't know who John and Vicki Farnam are, you should do some web searching and learn. Frank is one of their closest associates and works with them frequently and pretty much every time they are in Indiana, Frank is the one arranging it and assists them during the classes.

He's also a good man, a friend, I respect him personally and professionally, and I trust him.

That's enough love-fest. I could and would write similar things about some of our locals like my brother obijohn and Coach, but they are able to speak for themselves here.

Last edited:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I appreciate that. Thank you.

I would come down to Riley to attend an ACT class because...

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I am not putting anyone down or discounting your opinion in the least. I am sure that the one you speak of is a great guy. I'll take you at your word.

On the other hand, let me give an example of who I am.

I wanted a good quality red dot scope for my PCC. I ordered a Vortex Spark from AA Optics, even though I could have gotten it for a bit less locally because he is an INGO member and advertiser

ETA: Your name in blue means a lot to me.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Frank Sharpe does not participate here (although he has a few times in the past), but he is based in Illinois. I suspect he spends his time working in lieu of mingling here. Since he's not here to speak for himself, I'll say a few things. Frank frequently write essays and commentary on personal defense, RKBA, political, and current events issues. You can read them via the web site. You should be able to glean some of the basics of his philosophy from there. You could also call or email him with questions.

He's not former military and he's not a cop or a former cop. He's "just" a guy who is dedicated to learn as much as can about remaining intact and has a talent and passion for sharing what he has learned and developed with other people. He's really, really good at it. His curriculum is based on sound fundamentals, is very practical, and is devoid of gimmicks and fads. I have a not insignificant amount of experience with firearms and defense-related training and I'm pretty good at assessing the merits (or lack thereof) of someone who is in this business. There are a lot of good options for vendors of these services (and probably more bad ones), but I chose to train with him as a student in the past and will continue to do so as I am able because I like what he's doing and the way he does it. And that's true even though our backgrounds are different and we have a significant number of different opinions.

If you don't know who John and Vicki Farnam are, you should do some web searching and learn. Frank is one of their closest associates and works with them frequently and pretty much every time they are in Indiana, Frank is the one arranging it and assists them during the classes.

He's also a good man, a friend, I respect him personally and professionally, and I trust him.

That's enough love-fest. I could and would write similar things about some of our locals like my brother obijohn and Coach, but they are able to speak for themselves here.

I agree, though I don't know Frank well enough to call him a friend. (Well except on FB)

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Just browsing your site and looked up Pistol 1.

In thew holster section you have stated no IWB holsters. Might I ask why?

Great question!
    1. Any violation of rule 2 means the shooter runs dry for the rest of the day.
    2. Many IWB holsters are leather and collapse after the pistol is drawn. To reholster shooters must reach down and reopen the holster or use the muzzle to pry it open. Both generally cause a violation of rule #2.
    3. We generally teach people who don't have a ton of holster experience. Eliminating safety variables leads to better results.

Previous class experience has enabled people into class running an IWB as an OC holster just fine. Generally speaking the local schools do a better job of ensuring safety than the big names.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Great question!
    1. Any violation of rule 2 means the shooter runs dry for the rest of the day.
    2. Many IWB holsters are leather and collapse after the pistol is drawn. To reholster shooters must reach down and reopen the holster or use the muzzle to pry it open. Both generally cause a violation of rule #2.
    3. We generally teach people who don't have a ton of holster experience. Eliminating safety variables leads to better results.

Previous class experience has enabled people into class running an IWB as an OC holster just fine. Generally speaking the local schools do a better job of ensuring safety than the big names.

You have students wear their IWB holsters outside? I understand not allowing people to run floppy holsters, but to make someone change the way they normally carry doesn't seem to be a benefit in real world training. None of my carry rigs would work well outside the body. Besides, a floppy holster is a floppy holster whether it is IWB, OWB or in a box where it belongs.

Not arguing here. You are the trainer. Your rules stand. I am just a hack who tries to learn.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    You have students wear their IWB holsters outside? I understand not allowing people to run floppy holsters, but to make someone change the way they normally carry doesn't seem to be a benefit in real world training. None of my carry rigs would work well outside the body. Besides, a floppy holster is a floppy holster whether it is IWB, OWB or in a box where it belongs.

Not arguing here. You are the trainer. Your rules stand. I am just a hack who tries to learn.

I totally understand you aren't arguing, just good discourse!

Tucking in the shirt turns an IWB holster into an OC IWB holster. Nothing else changes, just the cover garment.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I totally understand you aren't arguing, just good discourse!

Tucking in the shirt turns an IWB holster into an OC IWB holster. Nothing else changes, just the cover garment.

Ok, so the same rig, worn the same way but no cover garment. I still think that training the way you carry is the best option, but I do understand some of what you are saying.

So in your second tier classes do you allow covered weapons? I did not read that far into the website.

Top Bottom