Anybody have adjust or change tactics/gear due to health issues?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deeno3432

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 4, 2018
    heartland
    Long story short had emergency appendectomy this past friday. I always carried appendix or pocket position.Now I can't wear anything other than loose gym shorts also "gi" ing it. I won't be able to carry appendix or even wear a sturdy belt for a long time. I currently can't carry a gun because I don't have a method to nor one light or small enough. I also have to deal with major mobility reduction. I've been able to go super minimal and happily own gear that normally I don't carry that's worked so far. All that said I've switched to no gun with pepper spray instead and from a surefire g2x to a streamlight microstream. I've went from a kershaw blur to a kershaw cqc 2k. My wallet has been be axed and I carry my DL in pocket. Now the fun begins as i train with this new setup. Anybody had similar happen?

Last edited:

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I'm not a "real" doctor but I'm curious how appendix carry could contribute to an appendicitis? I mean you weren't carrying it IN your actual appendix right?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Long story short had emergency appendectomy this past friday. I always carried appendix or pocket position which doc said may have contributed to my condition. I can't wear anything other than loose gym shorts also "gi" ing it. I won't be able to carry appendix or even wear a sturdy belt for a long time. I currently can't carry a gun because I don't have a method to nor one light or small enough. I also have to deal with major mobility reduction. I've been able to go super minimal and happily own gear that normally I don't carry that's worked so far. All that said I've switched to no gun with pepper spray instead and from a surefire g2x to a streamlight microstream. I've went from a kershaw blur to a kershaw cqc 2k. My wallet has been be axed and I carry my DL in pocket. Now the fun begins as i train with this new setup. Anybody had similar happen?

Such accommodations are common, especially short term. When I fell during a match at Parabellum, I injured my shoulder and couldn't draw or shoot with my dominant hand for a while. My support side became my primary side and I even shot a steel match support hand only.

If you're looking for advice, I think you're a prime candidate for a shoulder holster.

Also, along with smiledochill, I'm not seeing a way that appendix carry could play any role in appendicitis. If your doctor actually suggested that as a possibility, they either have no idea what "appendix carry" means or you need a new doctor now.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I think this type of situation happens often for short durations. The ok seems like a fairly severe case/ example.

How many people have a surgury or injury that changes their ability to shoot in their normal fashion?

Many is the answer. How often do you shoot WHO?

Why wait until you are hurt to develop your weak hand skills? One hand manipulation?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I think this type of situation happens often for short durations. The ok seems like a fairly severe case/ example.

How many people have a surgury or injury that changes their ability to shoot in their normal fashion?

Why wait until you are hurt to develop your weak hand skills? One hand manipulation?

Excellent points!

In my case, equipment and technique didn't change, just the "plan." Plan A got shifted to Plan C.

For those who bother to shoot support hand only, do you practice drawing and presenting with that hand? Do you practice reloads? Do you know how to reload with just that hand, or deal with a malfunction? As Coach mentioned, the time to address that isn't after you need it.

When you think "when would I ever need to do that?" you should think about injuries and other circumstances that can happen to anyone and not just some crazy **** that happens during a gunfight. What happens to you a week before someone tries to mug you in a parking lot can have a huge bearing one how you respond and even if you are able to respond.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Being a 2 gun wearing disciple of the Rhino I practice drawing and getting hits with my carry gun. I also practice picking it up off the the ground and shooting WHO because in plan A that is how I think I will have to function. I have been doing WHO pick up in my Carry league and Defensive Pistol class this year as well.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Being a 2 gun wearing disciple of the Rhino I practice drawing and getting hits with my carry gun. I also practice picking it up off the the ground and shooting WHO because in plan A that is how I think I will have to function. I have been doing WHO pick up in my Carry league and Defensive Pistol class this year as well.

When taking those classes, it became evident, that there is a huge need to practice WHO. The "What if" worse case scenario should be practiced I believe. The only way to improve is to practice the hard stuff until it becomes easier and familiar.

Bob

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    images

deeno3432

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 4, 2018
    heartland
    I'm not a "real" doctor but I'm curious how appendix carry could contribute to an appendicitis? I mean you weren't carrying it IN your actual appendix right?

My appendix was inflamed for a year or so and the pressure from carry caused it to flare up. Every time I carried appendix I had a major pain flare up and inflammination. I had chronic appendicitis which is real rare and in MY case caused a mild sepsis situation. I think some read this thread and thought I meant appendix carry CAUSED my issue and it's somehow a bad carry position which I don't think it is/did but it was a factor in MY case.

To steer back to the point of my thread I've had to adapt to unforseen life events and like to see how others dealt with similar issue.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Found out a couple years ago I have diverticulitis. Had no idea until I ended up in the hospital and found out. I used to carry IWB all the time, now it's OWB. IWB just hurt too much. It's better now, I can occasionally carry IWB for a short time but mainly don't.

I've also changed to a thinner lighter gun. It used to be a Glock 19 or M&P. Now it's a Walther PPS M2 until I can manage to get a G48 or the new Shield 4". Not to get off topic, but these types of guns have their place and are very desirable for many people that may be in situations that are similar. Those that CAN carry a full size/weight gun IWB all day long can scoff at these guns all they like, their ability to do so doesn't apply to everyone.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Ankle holster could be an option if loose pants/sweats is an option.
    You could get a women's thigh rig and start wearing skirts, the supreme court recently said that was ok IIRC. As a bonus, no one would suspect a gun under there.
    How about the t shirts with a pocket in them that are similar to a shoulder holster setup, I have one from 5.11 that carries a lightweight gun ok. Mine has the collar (not v-neck) so it feels very restrictive to me but if I wore a t shirt more it would work well.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    deeno I wish you a speedy, complete recovery. Like Rhino, I suggest you look into getting a shoulder holster.

My story: I've got arthritis in my shoulders and neck. In my right shoulder I've just got bone spurs instead of cartiladge limiting my movement. In my neck there was bone calcification crushing my spinal cord (there's a medical term that sounds like something on a Greek menu, but clearly not as good). I didn't get a complete recovery from surgery so I lost about 1/3 my grip strength and have impaired balance and motor control in my legs, which are 1/2 numb. I'll case my violin now.

Adapting has an ongoing process of problem solving and also just accepting my new normal. Some of that is:

1) I retired my .45 and got a 9mm (sig P320)
    2) moved my carry position from 4:00 to 3:00 to:
    a) reduce reaching behind myself to draw
    b) limit the pistol butt printing since I now walk bent over on a cane.
    3) I'm looking at different left-hand IWB/AIWB holsters for my kahr, to carry as a BUG
    4) Adjusted my default shooting stance to compensate for impaired balance
    5) Practice--struggle--to keep some ability to pie corners and shoot on the move
    6) Accepted that between loss of balance and motor control, trying to "get off the X" will telegraph my intentions. So, I work on
    a)concealing my draw
    b)being able to get a torso hit on demand, shooting from "retention" (immediately followed with shots at full extension), to give the assailant less time to react before getting shot.
    7) I'm working on balancing the need for increased situational awareness, being disabled, with need to look down and check where my clumsy 1/2 numb feet are going.

Latewatch

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Henryville, IN
    I've changed gear several times due to short term injuries or conditions over the years. As I get older and deal with arthritis and other mobility issues, I think about and evaluate tactics quite a bit. I'm now paying for the things I put my body through in my misspent youth and there are things I just can no longer do effectively, just a fact of life.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've changed gear several times due to short term injuries or conditions over the years. As I get older and deal with arthritis and other mobility issues, I think about and evaluate tactics quite a bit. I'm now paying for the things I put my body through in my misspent youth and there are things I just can no longer do effectively, just a fact of life.

Pretty much my deal.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

You can still do more than most people!

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana

I practice one hand R/L manipulation all the time and weak hand shooting. Im sure most don't, but I do.

jkdbjj

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2015
    rural
    If you cannot wear a belt, look into rigging a holster with an UltiClip...I have been playing with one recently and like it for certain carry situations. Of course, the old favorite shoulder holster...or, if you can dress for it...a chest holster such as those made by GunfightersINC (Kenai holster).

No reason to stop carrying a firearms just because you cannot carry it appendix or on a belt. Good luck in your recovery.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    My appendix was inflamed for a year or so and the pressure from carry caused it to flare up. Every time I carried appendix I had a major pain flare up and inflammination. I had chronic appendicitis which is real rare and in MY case caused a mild sepsis situation. I think some read this thread and thought I meant appendix carry CAUSED my issue and it's somehow a bad carry position which I don't think it is/did but it was a factor in MY case.

To steer back to the point of my thread I've had to adapt to unforseen life events and like to see how others dealt with similar issue.

That actually makes good sense. I assumed it was something like that but it has been interesting pathology week at the office for the last two weeks so my brain has been in path. detective mode. Plus I just needed an angle to work in the humor of painting the visual of carrying IN the appendix. :-) Sorry for the thread jack.

Top Bottom