Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    That is a whole different ball of wax than most people even come close to understanding. That might be the single most lacking part of the instructor spectrum. I think perhaps a book could be written on this subject.
    When you get around to writing that book, Coach, I can help proofread.
    "The problem with internet quotations is that many are not genuine." -Abraham Lincoln

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CampingJosh View Post
    When you get around to writing that book, Coach, I can help proofread.
    I get the first stab at it.

I'm not an instructor and I don't want to be one,but I'm betting I could learn a **** ton from proof reading that book and this class as well.
    Luddite Crumudgeon #1

User Info Menu

Commas have always befuddled me.
    No one is stronger or more dangerous than the man who can harness his emotions.

www.BrightFirearmsTraining.com

abright@ccrtc.com

Grandmaster

User Info Menu

In regards to the comma, the rules are quite fluid. It is kind of like Range Master interpreting a rule book.
    Luddite Curmudgeon #2

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by downrange72 View Post
    In regards to the comma, the rules are quite fluid. It is kind of like Range Master interpreting a rule book.
    In my experience that is a good comparison.

abright@ccrtc.com

User Info Menu

Commas have always befuddled me.
    Me too! I mean how can someone be unconscious for months and then just suddenly wake up. How do it work?
    Also I struggle with spelling and reading so I wouldn't be a good proof reader.
    Putting firearms' contribution back in our history makes a more complete telling. Teaching marksmanship in that context deepens the understanding. Revere's Riders, because history involved guns!

Hop

User Info Menu

As a student, if you tell me "do it X way" & I ask, "why is that better then Y", and you can't explain it to me, then I'll start to shut down listening to you. <<< Lots of comas in there.

Revere's Riders Instructor - Master Rifle KD, Master Pistol

NRA Pistol instructor | NRA Rifle instructor | NRA RSO
    Classes and info here: https://www.reveresriders.org/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hop View Post
    As a student, if you tell me "do it X way" & I ask, "why is that better then Y", and you can't explain it to me, then I'll start to shut down listening to you. <<< Lots of comas in there.
    Are there instructors who teach things and do not include the why in the teaching?

abright@ccrtc.com

User Info Menu

That is a whole different ball of wax than most people even come close to understanding. That might be the single most lacking part of the instructor spectrum. I think perhaps a book could be written on this subject.

Hoo-boy! Too many people fail to grasp that "teaching" is the key part of the phrase of "teaching someone how to safely, effectively, and efficiently use a gun." While I've received a few nuggets about teaching in various instructor courses, if I had to rely on just that, I would suck as a teacher.

I think a lot of people who try to be teachers (but fail) tended to be among those we might categorize as poor students. I think being a good student is a prerequisite for being a competent teacher, and that entails continuing to be a good student indefinitely. You have to fully understand how to learn before you can guide someone else down that path effectively, regardless of the subject matter.

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

User Info Menu

Are there instructors who teach things and do not include the why in the teaching?
    I can see the look of regret and panic in someone's eyes at the moment that they realize asking me "why?" means they're going to receive my "why" in glorious detail. It's a lot like the look people have when they did not ask me why, yet realize they're going to hear all about it anyway.

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast