• Corbon

Plinker
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2011
    Columbus
    Hello Everyone it's Corbon again!

I have booked a two day course with Pat McNamara on April 25th and 26th in 2020. So plenty of time to plan for this event. This will be a two day Instructor Development course covering both the handgun and carbine rifle. If you don't know who Pat is here is a little about him:

Patrick McNamara spent 22 years in the United States Army in a myriad of special operations units. When he worked in the premier special missions unit, he became an impeccable marksman, shooting with accurate, lethal results and tactical effectiveness.

McNamara has trained tactical applications of shooting to people of all levels of marksmanship, from varsity level soldiers, and police officers who work the streets to civilians with little to no time behind the trigger.

His military experience quickly taught him that there is more to tactical marksmanship than merely squeezing the trigger. Utilizing his years of experience, McNamara developed a training methodology that is safe, effective, and combat relevant and encourages a continuous thought process. This methodology teaches how to maintain safety at all times and choose targets that force accountability, as well as provides courses covering several categories, including individual, collective, online, and standards.

While serving as his Unit's Marksmanship NCO, he developed his own marksmanship club with NRA, CMP, and USPSA affiliations. Mac ran monthly IPSC matches and ran semi annual military marksmanship championships to encourage marksmanship fundamentals and competitiveness throughout the Army.

He retired from the Army's premier hostage rescue unit as a Sergeant Major and is the author of T.A.P.S. (Tactical Application of Practical Shooting) and Sentinel.

If you are interested in signing up for the course please see Mac's website at https://www.tmacsinc.com/. Hope to see you there.

Corbon

devildog70

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    I took this class a couple years ago, in SC, and would recommend it. I'd classify it more as a coaching class, than an instructor development class (it's more of a "here are some things I look for, and how to fix them," than "this is how you teach folks how to shoot.") Still worth it, imo.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I took this class a couple years ago, in SC, and would recommend it. I'd classify it more as a coaching class, than an instructor development class (it's more of a "here are some things I look for, and how to fix them," than "this is how you teach folks how to shoot.") Still worth it, imo.

Ya, when I read a Instructor development for carbine and pistol in two days I was dubious. I like Mac and would train with him again but what you describe makes more sense.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    This looks like another great local opportunity for anyone doing instruction.
    The course description doesn't mention anything about course size. Anyone know historically or is it more determined by the range it is held at or the host?

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield

Care to share more details on how he is teaching attendees to teach? I think I understand correctly that the target audience is instructors. Your "it's more of a "here are some things I look for, and how to fix them," than "this is how you teach folks how to shoot."" statement has me thinking I'm missing something though. Those don't seem like counterpoints to me? Are you saying he is teaching an instruction style of ID and fix problems vs teach correct techniques from the beginning?

I think the fact that I don't fully understand your post is centered on my lack of understanding of the difference in coaching vs instructing. I'm interested to follow any replies.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Is there a difference between coaching, instructing, and teaching? A real difference?

There are lots of coaches in classrooms across the nation that suck in the classroom, but it is not due to an inability to teach. But rather priorities and knowledge on subject matter.

A successful coach has to be a good teacher.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    If the class is about diagnosing shooters and fixing their problems. Instructors in this state should be lining up to get in.

devildog70

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Is there a difference between coaching, instructing, and teaching? A real difference?

There are lots of coaches in classrooms across the nation that suck in the classroom, but it is not due to an inability to teach. But rather priorities and knowledge on subject matter.

A successful coach has to be a good teacher.

A decent instructor should be a good coach. As you mentioned, that doesn't even come close to being the case.

I have met several people that were solid coaches, in terms of diagnosing issues, and offering potential fixes, that weren't good instructors in terms of overall shooting.

I picked up a decent process for identifying what might be causing a shooter's issues from Mac. I also picked up some of what Mac thinks might be responsible for those issues. I did not pick up anything about course development, instructional techniques, outline development, adult learning theory, etc. There were no teach-backs.

If your idea of an instructor is watching someone shoot and saying "don't do that," or "do this," then sure, same/same.

From memory, the course was very similar to Mac's 2-day TAPS class, with the occasional deeper-dive into the "why." That isn't me crapping on the course. I would recommend it for experienced instructors - it may give you a couple tools to add to the repertoire. I would not recommend it for someone who is trying to get started as an instructor who thinks this class will teach them how to be a good one. One who has no experience standing in front of a group of complete novices and teaching them how to safely, efficiently, and correctly use a gun from scratch.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    One who has no experience standing in front of a group of complete novices and teaching them how to safely, efficiently, and correctly use a gun from scratch.

That is a whole different ball of wax than most people even come close to understanding. That might be the single most lacking part of the instructor spectrum. I think perhaps a book could be written on this subject.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    That is a whole different ball of wax than most people even come close to understanding. That might be the single most lacking part of the instructor spectrum. I think perhaps a book could be written on this subject.

When you get around to writing that book, Coach, I can help proofread. :):

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    As a student, if you tell me "do it X way" & I ask, "why is that better then Y", and you can't explain it to me, then I'll start to shut down listening to you. <<< Lots of comas in there.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    As a student, if you tell me "do it X way" & I ask, "why is that better then Y", and you can't explain it to me, then I'll start to shut down listening to you. <<< Lots of comas in there.

Are there instructors who teach things and do not include the why in the teaching?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Hoo-boy! Too many people fail to grasp that "teaching" is the key part of the phrase of "teaching someone how to safely, effectively, and efficiently use a gun." While I've received a few nuggets about teaching in various instructor courses, if I had to rely on just that, I would suck as a teacher.

I think a lot of people who try to be teachers (but fail) tended to be among those we might categorize as poor students. I think being a good student is a prerequisite for being a competent teacher, and that entails continuing to be a good student indefinitely. You have to fully understand how to learn before you can guide someone else down that path effectively, regardless of the subject matter.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Are there instructors who teach things and do not include the why in the teaching?

I can see the look of regret and panic in someone's eyes at the moment that they realize asking me "why?" means they're going to receive my "why" in glorious detail. It's a lot like the look people have when they did not ask me why, yet realize they're going to hear all about it anyway.

Top Bottom