Signed up for Revere's Raider's Pistol 100 8/10/19. Anyone else? What to Expect?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Signed up for Revere's Rider's Pistol 100 8/10/19. Anyone else? What to Expect?

I signed up for the Revere's Riders Pistol 100 in Seelyville, IN on Aug 10, 2019. Anyone else from NWI attending?

If you have been to this training in the past how about some war stories and info on what I can expect.

Tips for getting the most out the training welcome.

Last edited:

stoneytoney

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 17, 2014
    indy
    I’m thinking about it, but hopefully they have updated their training methods. I seen the weaver stance being taught in their course description. If I do, see ya there!!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    RR puts on good courses. But if you go with pre-conceived ideas of how it should be done, then you should pass. They are very safety conscious and they teach solid fundamentals. It's a great group of individuals who are well trained and passionate about shooting. This is not some kind of tactiturd training where they are going to go all ninja and overwhelm someone who is seeking good marksmanship skills with a handgun.

Not sure what is wrong with the Weaver stance but if you shoot better in that stance, then that is what you should use.

Go with an open mind, try what they suggest and watch your skills improve.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    I am at a point where I don't know enough to have opinions about technique. I hope to go with an open mind and learn as much as I can.

I have gone to two "basic" pistol classes at two different local ranges and found that the instructor at each was helpful and genuinely wanted to teach. There was overlap in the two classes, but there was also enough different information and different presentation methods that I found both useful and informative.

I see the Revere's Riders training as a chance to get out of the range environment. I looked them up after seeing multiple recommendations of their training on forums like this one.

Last edited:

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Pistol 100 will typically be 5-10 yards, focusing on grip, stance(s), sight picture, trigger control and so forth.
    The qualification targets are scaled, so even at "short range" you'll be challenged. If you're not, please speak up and I'm sure they'll change your handicap upon request.

Try all of the options presented. You will certainly have at least one "Ah-HA!" moment.
    Odds are good you'll also hear some new details about our Founding Fathers, their actions, and the price that many of them paid to live according to their convictions.

I would recommend a pistol w/ iron sights if you're comfortable with that host. You can use an optic, but you'll probably be limited during the front-sight focus portion.
    But don't bring a strange pistol to the show. Something reasonably familiar will be best.

pblanc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2014
    Evansville
    I suppose this is off the topic, but I would not poo-poo the Weaver stance. Hickok 45 uses a modified Weaver stance (Chapman stance) in which the shooting arm is straight with elbow locked, and the shooting shoulder is a bit hunched. He seems to do pretty well with it.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.

I would recommend a pistol w/ iron sights if you're comfortable with that host. You can use an optic, but you'll probably be limited during the front-sight focus portion.
    But don't bring a strange pistol to the show. Something reasonably familiar will be best.

If I went today I would take my M&P Shield 9MM. I've shot it more than any other and am pretty comfortable with it.

I appreciate the everyone's feedback and sharing of information.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    We teach Weaver as an option. If you shoot better using that stance then have at it. There are certain situations where Weaver (or a modified version) would come in handy vs isosceles.

I need to thank all the previous posters for all the good info. Y'all need to come volunteer with us sometime. We're always looking for good help.

:ingo:

justacog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2018
    Brownstown
    If I went today I would take my M&P Shield 9MM. I've shot it more than any other and am pretty comfortable with it.

The only thing about sub-compact guns in a training class is that you may find your hands getting tired faster than they would with something larger like a full size M&P9. Oh, and more mag changes/re-loads than you would with a double stack.
    Other than that... shoot what you like, get good at it, and have fun.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    The only thing about sub-compact guns in a training class is that you may find your hands getting tired faster than they would with something larger like a full size M&P9. Oh, and more mag changes/re-loads than you would with a double stack.
    Other than that... shoot what you like, get good at it, and have fun.

This is what i have done. I carry a Shield but other than finishing a range session with 30 rounds down range, i don’t use it. 300 rounds in a class would not be fun for me.

hence the reason i bought a P10C to have it be my “ do it all “ gun.

if you are comfortable with what I would call an extended range session, then you will be fine.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    This course will be a well paced, solid introduction to pistol marksmanship. The stance you prefer is irrelevant to trigger control and follow through. Add the history and you are in for a fantastic day!

And this course is a great precursor to the Pistol 145 class that will be offered again in September.

Take a functioning handgun, a positive attitude and an open mind. And please don't forget to have fun!!!

stoneytoney

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 17, 2014
    indy
    Another thing, I carry appendix using a Tier 1 Axis Slim. It doesn’t say I can’t bring it in Pistol 100, but in your Pistol 145 appendix is not allowed. So since 100 is the step before 145 I would assume appendix carry isn’t allowed in this either. Correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    Another thing, I carry appendix using a Tier 1 Axis Slim. It doesn’t say I can’t bring it in Pistol 100, but in your Pistol 145 appendix is not allowed. So since 100 is the step before 145 I would assume appendix carry isn’t allowed in this either. Correct?

As stated in the info from this class (100) on the webpage:

"We will not be drawing from the holster in this class and we will run a “cold range.” You will not need a holster to participate in the class activities."

This class actually works on shooting skills, and hitting the target. Though this might sound a bit basic it really improved mine and my wife's skills. We both have taken the class twice and we really enjoyed them.

I have also taken the 145 class, and I must highly recommend it. You will pull from the holster most of the day. I will take this class again in the future just to really let it all sink in.

Of course if you are John Wick you can probably pass the on 145 class :>)

We did "open carry" all day, and did get to do some "low ready" for those of you following some of the other threads boiling right now.

Ron

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Why do think appendix carry isn't allowed for the Pistol 145 class?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It states it on the web site: "no appendix, ankle or small-of-back holsters".

I didn't know that. Thank you for the education!

It seemed odd to me because the new RR Pistol 145 is based on the ACT DP101 class, which does not exclude appendix carry.

Top Bottom