• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stoneytoney

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 17, 2014
    indy
    Range: Impact Shooting Center in Cleves, OH (1hr 30min drive from Indy WELL WORTH IT)

Instructor: Donovan (point_1_tactics on Instagram) Stellar military background and his Instagram feed was the sell points for me honestly to sign up for his class. That, and there’s not a lot of training being done with the carbine outdoors here, so why not?

Rounds: 500 *bring 600-700 just in case*
    The round Count is very specific because he has a print out of each topic and drill he wants to cover. He doesn’t like just 1 or 2 shot drills. 3 reload 3 or 3 transition 3 or something of the sort.

Class started with a safety brief in the house in front of the range. The house/briefing room itself looked like it was remodeled. Very clean. I was also happy that the rain held up! Had chances of rain but turned out to be a beautiful day of training.

I was shooting with my 16” PSA carbine w/ IRONS!! My first class and I show up with irons lol. Let me tell you in advance, if you’re thinking about taking a carbine class with your iron sights just GET ANY TYPE OF RED DOT. With irons it just seems like the class is zooming by you, it was hard to get any type of sight picture at speed. And then accounting for hold-over. So a fellow student let me use his M&P with a Vortex ____ on there (forgot to ask the exact model but it was a 1-6x variable optic) CRYSTAL CLEAR PICTURE whenever I did figure out the eye relief part lol. My first time experiencing what eye relief truly was until yesterday.

We started with a cold 10-10-10 paper target drill from Lucas at TRex Arms. Then moved on to body to headshot transitions and vice Versa. Then there was sling manipulation. I’m using the Proctor sling. Never thought of sling manipulation until now! Now knowing that the 2pt sling is the end all to slings. It can be one or two point if you know to move your arms and carbine around it.

Next it was the check drill! Shooting your carbine until dry or problem occurs then transitioning to your pistol. Donovan gave me a big tip on how to move the carbine out of your way to get to your backup pistol faster.

THANK GOODNESS FOR THE LUNCH BREAK! I forgot my snack bag and stomach was touching my back by 1. Luckily there’s a Wendy’s 10min from the range lol.

Back to the training. After lunch the barricades were set up, and off to the races we go. Here we’re shooting behind those barricades with the shoot holes everybody on Instagram and YouTube is shooting from. Donovan shows me how to get as many points of contacts I can with the help of the barricades, elbows, cheeks, arms, and knees to get that perfect shot nearly 9/10 times of done properly. And here I’m introduced into shooting the carbine on the move.

We finish off the class with a timed competition between students where we’re trying to fight for the Top Shot Patch. Closest thing to competition I’ve been to, and it was great. Got my blood and my mind flowing!

If you attend this class you will have:

Safety
    An instructor that knows how to TEACH.
    Fun
    Hopefully cool classmates like the ones I had.
    Edit: YOUR OWN PERSONAL CAMERA MAN! I can’t wait to get the pix of this past weekend. Can’t believe I forgot to add this. I know we’re there to train for the worst day and pix don’t matter but damn they’re sure appreciated. Follow (hamr556) on Instagram great work!

He has a low light course in September at the same range I’m looking forward to signing up before it’s too late! A highly recommend class and instructor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Question: Were the transitions being taught from a standpoint of "going from an operable rifle to an operable handgun" type situation? Or were they transitions from an inoperable rifle to an operable handgun?

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Keep working on those irons. Even on an AR pistol, they're plenty good for 200yd minute-of-man.

And the sling type is just gonna depend on you and the mission.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Keep working on those irons. Even on an AR pistol, they're plenty good for 200yd minute-of-man.

This.

I'm one of those that runs iron sights in classes too. I'm all about building fundamentals and foundations. I figure once I have the basics down I can always run an optic to make life easier. I'd rather do that than rely on an optic and then be lost when it goes down.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    There is a lot of merit in learning to use iron sights effectively, but once you develop that proficiency, I say train the way you intend to use it in an emergency. If you plan to use irons, spend the majority of your training and practice time using iron sights. If you intend to use a dot, spend the majority of your training and practice time using the dot.

I can shoot with irons and I often use them exclusively in low light because the sight picture is so obvious in the beam of a white light. However, if i need my rifle any time when it's not dark enough to need a light, I'm using the dot. That's the way I'm going to train.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Good AAR StoneyToney!

Sounds like a solid course!

The proper use of irons I feel is a skill that is being lost IMO mastering Irons should be a step toward use of a red dot or other optic.
    IME most shooters have not trained to use Irons at CQB range and apply long range sight alignment which of course doesn’t work well.
    Strange thing is most shooters do this well with a pistol but cannot transfer it to the Carbine?
    At close range 100m, low light and moving targets use the Large opening or aperture 25 m or less you can use the front sight as a kinda of red dot just put the front sight post on target and shoot. In low light we used white paint a H or T on the front sight post then place it low center mass and shoot.
    Irons will never be as fast as a optic but you will be amazed how well a person can do with them.

stoneytoney

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 17, 2014
    indy
    Question: Were the transitions being taught from a standpoint of "going from an operable rifle to an operable handgun" type situation? Or were they transitions from an inoperable rifle to an operable handgun?

Yes going from a dry rifle or malfunction to a back up pistol. Here’s his reasoning. Say you do tap rack bang with your carbine and it still doesn’t fix the problem? Why not go to your back up that you know is going to go bang? Do you have time in a fight to look at your carbine to figure out if it went dry or it’s a malfunction or get it the hell out the way get to your pistol. Shoot to win and/or cover. THEN figure out what happened with your rifle.

stoneytoney

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 17, 2014
    indy
    That’s what my thought was as well. That’s one of the reasons I showed up to class with just irons. Master them and then move on to an optic because anything could happen to either and I need to be proficient with both. That and after spending $300 on ammo and $280 on class entry I was tapped haha. I’m still dry firing with my irons. Have 200 rounds left over so I’ll be hitting the range soon to do some drills with them. My ideal setup is to run a red dot for home defense though. Leaning towards the Sig Romeo 5 good price point...good reviews.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I hope it doesn't need to be said that competency with iron sights does not automatically mean that the same shooter is equally or more proficient with a dot.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Yes going from a dry rifle or malfunction to a back up pistol. Here’s his reasoning. Say you do tap rack bang with your carbine and it still doesn’t fix the problem? Why not go to your back up that you know is going to go bang? Do you have time in a fight to look at your carbine to figure out if it went dry or it’s a malfunction or get it the hell out the way get to your pistol. Shoot to win and/or cover. THEN figure out what happened with your rifle.

Excellent! Thank you.

stoneytoney

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 17, 2014
    indy
    124d22d82678dcb369ee722a088a1aa5.jpg

One of the pix being taken of me. Very high quality

Top Bottom